$50.00 table taking shape!

sausage

Banned
ok, my 14.1 table is standing on its own four feet! it was a challenge getting it to this point by myself. i had to brace the base with a broom when installing the slate or it would have slid out as i was picking up one end of the rock. that would have been a disaster..... unlike my previous brunswick tables, this slate is not sagging in the middle. also, i think i have it as per the factory because when i placed that slate, the screw holes lined up! i had to put a bunch of hard plastic shims under the legs using a shovel as a pry-bar. with a carpenters level you can only do so much so a ball roll on the bare slate will have to serve as my machinists level. now to order my cloth....

Attachments

• IMGA0989.jpg
    IMGA0989.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 267

Mike_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok, my 14.1 table is standing on its own four feet! it was a challenge getting it to this point by myself. i had to brace the base with a broom when installing the slate or it would have slid out as i was picking up one end of the rock. that would have been a disaster..... unlike my previous brunswick tables, this slate is not sagging in the middle. also, i think i have it as per the factory because when i placed that slate, the screw holes lined up! i had to put a bunch of hard plastic shims under the legs using a shovel as a pry-bar. with a carpenters level you can only do so much so a ball roll on the bare slate will have to serve as my machinists level. now to order my cloth....

Very cool.

good luck!

Mike_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's you who will need the luck. be careful on that crotch rocket! :p

LOL, thanks.

I actually sold it last year, just used this s/n out of habit.
I found they aren't much fun after the first few accidents.

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the ball rolling technique is an excellent way to level the slate, I have set up 3-4 tables this way, the ball don't lie.
problems I have run into:
over time my slates tend to get uneven. I have read about putting some elmers glue in there to keep them together.
I have problems stretching the cloth into the side pockets, never did figure that one out.
check with the mechanics forum.
enjoy
steven

sausage

Banned
the problem with crotch rockets is that they aren't any fun unless ridden crazy. that's why i love my Superglide....

driven: yes, i have found that rolling the ball over the slate is the best way to find imperfections. if the ball rolls off on the bare slate, the cloth won't help any. i have almost got it perfect. fortunately the soil down here is sand so unlike my texass home which had clay soil, it won't be rising and falling like a ship at sea. that was frustrating...

i found a video on the net where the guy uses card stock and super glue for substitute pins on the slate. i was going to do this trick but i've got it together now. i will however use "rock hard putty" instead of wax this time. gotta get the old wax off first though...

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a heat gun or torch gets it done pretty easy
me
edit:
I never heard of anyone using the rh putty. there could be problems if you get any movement with it breaking up and making little boulders under there.
just my 2 cents.
I have used bondo, but prefer beeswax. easy to work with and when I do get movement a shim here or there fixes it up real good.
check with your pool table professional, I do it myself because I am cheap, but I really like putting my table together, It really isn't work if you enjoy what you are doing.

Last edited:

sausage

Banned
here's the video of the guy using the putty. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZu6xBp3Jl8

i have always used wax but when i vacuum my table it pulls up from between the slate and makes a bump. when i saw the video, i thought i'd try it. the only problem though is that i didn't use their trick with the super glue and card stock to stick the slate together. i don't know if this will make a difference when using the putty. also, one piece of slate has a nick on the edge that i'd rather fill with something harder than wax.... i'll ask the mechanics though.