Are Slip On Extensions Now Outdated

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know people were paying quite a bit for Hagar slip on extensions when they went out of business. I had one and while I appreciated how well they were made and the net material wouldn't hurt the cue finish, I never liked how BIG they felt in my hand. I sold mine for a lot more than I paid then bought a Tony Ryan that I thought felt great in the hand and worked really well but the end that received the cue butt was big enough to slip over and so that became a problem how to carry in a case.

Some guys who apparantly didn't care that much about their cue finish would actually use cut pieces of hard vacuum cleaner pipes to slip onto their cues as a makeshift extension.

I'm noticing a lot more screw on extensions nowadays that in many cases look like a true extension of the cues butt, both in size and sometimes even wood type and finish. This is probably a good development in our equipment.

Anybody still using the old slip-ons?

best,
brian kc

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went back to the telescoping kind because the predator one I have stripped :angry: and I’m not paying $80 for another one.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never like the vacuum tube or collet type that snugged onto the butt. Lately I’m using a Predator with a quick connect made by Predator.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Whoever thought of screw-on extensions belongs in the HOF with Mingaud.
....although I couldn’t make myself leave it on....balance!!!!!!!!!

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been using the “Bazooka” slip on extension for years and love it. I have played some of the screw in extensions, but still prefer the slip on. One of the main reasons is the I can reach longer with it than with most screw on extensions and because it is fairly light weight, the balance is still pretty good.

To each their own, just what i like.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I received this as a gift from one of my pool friends. I tried it but really didn’t like it. I now use a predator extension. The vacuum cleaner tube extension era is dead.

7980B3B6-F0EA-4713-B28B-15F858C10AE6.jpeg

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Anybody still using the old slip-ons?

best,
brian kc

I have two non-screw on extensions, a Tony Ryan slip-on and a Pro-Quick collet-style (similar to the one in the above post, but a bit longer and non-padded). I use them sometimes on the home table. I rarely ever (almost never) take one to the pool hall. I might if I knew I'd be playing on a 9' table, but maybe even then I wouldn't.

The semi-gooey rubber stuff inside The Tony Ryan extension quickly became deformed and unusable, so I got a couple of my wife's black ankle socks and inserted them toe first down the tube and taped the open ends around the top of the extension with electrician's tape. Ain't purty, but it works better than it did in its original form.

The Pro-Quick collet style, you have to be very careful to not screw it down too tight or you're gonna have a damn hard time getting it back off. That said, it has the feel (thickness-wise) closer to that of a cue butt and works really well.

My 5 year-old grandson uses both of them as a pretend microphone when he's lip sync-ing to my pool playing music (Blues/Rock).

I think they still have their place....but barely.

Maniac

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have both versions (12” & 18”) of the Tony Ryan cue extender in oak wood.
The handle feels the closest to a cue butt & it helps you maintain the feel of
a cue butt so you can have a better sense of “stroking” the cue ball instead
of a pushing or throwing sensation. The extender eliminates any reliance on
a bridge for most shots and when a bridge is required, I use a Just-a-Bridge
that offers a versatile selection of positions that normal bridges cannot do.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using the “Bazooka” slip on extension for years and love it. I have played some of the screw in extensions, but still prefer the slip on. One of the main reasons is the I can reach longer with it than with most screw on extensions and because it is fairly light weight, the balance is still pretty good.To each their own, just what i like.
Bazooka extension is a good tool, better than most, the price is right, and it does exactly what it is supposed to do.
I painted mine pink to reflect my feminine side.
As you say......"to each their own, just what I like"
:smile:

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Longoni extension so that I could hook on to any cue in my collection; however, because I only have an 8-foot table at home it is not needed, so it has been sitting in the pocket of my JB rugged since first trying it out...seemed to do the job.

Obviously the screw-in type extensions are much sleeker looking, but it would be pretty expensive and inefficient for me to get specific ones for each cue brand that I own.

https://www.ozonebilliards.com/product/longoni-cue-extension-universal

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What stripped? The extension or bumper

the butt.. and mine is the original. They changed the connection at some point and don’t make the bumper for mine anymore. I’m assuming they realized their was an issue.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.. and the net material wouldn't hurt the cue finish,

I never bought a slip-on because my friends who have them all said they noticed at least small effects on the finishes of their cues (I don't know which brands of extensions). Those extensions also seemed to be pretty heavy. I also don't want a permanent extension that fits between my cue butt and shaft. I have an extension that was fitted into the bumper of my cue that weighs 2 oz. and attaches and can be removed as needed. I like it a lot. IMO, all cuemakers should build cues that are designed to fit screw in extensions securely.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I bought a Tony Ryan extension and while it was ok for function it had some clear drawbacks. 1. It was impossible to fit in any case that I owned due to it's size and shape. That meant if I wanted to take it with me I had to create some sort of workaround. 2. It's unusual appearance got lots of looks, snickers, and snide remarks if you took it out at the pool room or at league and 3. Even the 12 in size was really too large and cumbersome.

When Pechauer made an extension that fit my Pechauer butt I bought one and never looked back. It screws in, holds tight, provides enough of an extension to be helpful but also is small enough to fit in my case. Also, it looks conventional which is a plus.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not know how other slip on extenders perform but the hard rubber slip on extender by Tony Ryan
never has marked any of my cues and if it did, it would easily come off. My cues have both Ivory and
Delrin cue butts and my cue-makers had to vary the length in order to make the target cue weight. The
TR slip-on extender has never marked any of my pool cues and the rubber does not decay or dry out
unless it has not been stored properly. I’ve has mine for many years and both could pass for new. Below
is photo of my pool cue butts and as you can see, the Ivory & Delrin caps varies in length so the weight
of the cue’s butt could be between 14.5 and 14.75 ounces which all the cues in the photo have.

Attachments

• Sleeves.jpg
    Sleeves.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 137

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the "cue reach" vacuum tube style extender and love it. Best twenty dollars I ever spent, easily. It has not marked my cue at all.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could be?

Maybe they are. Seems like many serious players eventually follow some type of equipment add on the pros use. That type seems to screw into the butt of the cue.

Pat Diveney made me a 4" oak extension and a 8" two piece maple extension and both will screw into the butt of my two 61" Diveney playing cues. I often just leave the 4" one on the cue and find I do better on my follow shots with the extra length.

The nice thing about Pat's extension and his cues is it just screws through the bumper on the cue and is some sore of a quick joint. It helps me with many shots I used to use the bridge for. The bridge is not my strong point.

I am sure I saw Jeanette Lee twist her cue and it got longer, like it had a threaded extension built into it. I thought that was pretty slick.