AZB Has A Chat With Barry Behrman

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I'm curious to see other's opinions on this article, as I haven't seen any yet.

Barry has faced a bit of scrutiny, the past couple of years, after not immediately paying players after the conclusion of the US Open. To reassure people that things would be different this year, he issued a press release to tell everyone, not only that he has been '“clean” for 8 years and it feels great', but that "All $180,000.00 will be paid in CASH," "promptly on time."

In his most recent 'Chat with AZB', he made a statement that, "He is disturbed by the negativity that some have expressed about his payment plan to Darren Appleton, the winner."

I'm not quite sure why he would be disturbed by the negativity. Did he not expect it, after his previous press releases??

I am not trying to bash Barry Behrman, I'm just trying to make a point. Barry would be doing himself a favor to just keep his mouth shut and NOT post anything. He has a tendency of posting way too much personal information in his press releases. They are certainly not written in a professional manner. If he doesn't want people thinking negatively of him, he should stop making promises that he can't keep.

For the articles that I've mentioned, please refer to:

http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=8129
http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=7853
http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=7525

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Here's a comment.

Opinions are posted everyday and the readers will comment one way or another.

My opinion is that yours is a moot point since all the players got paid. Seems you you may be the only one that isn't happy.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont know so iam going to ask.why in the past was all the players not getting their due money!was something holding it up?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
People ought to really stop worrying about it. The players and the promoters are the only ones affected here.

If the players keep showing up then we fans get our entertainment.

Everyone should just keep their mouths shut regarding the payments. Just get a nice picture of the winner with the big check and call it a day.

BECAUSE NOTHING IS EVER GOING TO CHANGE.

This year we had the new organization tlkaing about how all promoters would be required to escrow their prize money - DIDN'T HAPPEN

Barry promised to put a stack of cash on the table poker style - DIDN'T HAPPEN

Still players showed up, it was streamed, we all got to sweat great play and action and everyone's happy.

It's time for the "little people", those being me and you to just not worry about whether people who choose to play pool for a living get paid or not. They know what they are walking into with every tournament they go to. They know who pays on time and in full and they know who doesn't. Let them sweat it while we watch the streams and enjoy the matches.

Here's a thought, it's excitiing to know that the pros are playing under the ADDED pressure of not knowing if they are going to get paid or not. Drama! Awesome.

Seriously. We have ALL wasted so much energy on this topic and nothing ever changes.

Let's focus on the things that have changed for the better. Women in the US Open - truly a great and overdue move. $1000 bonus for highest finishing woman - terrible idea.

Full field! Awesome first time in a while. Great to see that.

Focus on the good.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AZB chat

Here's a comment.

My opinion is that yours is a moot point since all the players got paid. Seems you you may be the only one that isn't happy.

I'm not sure your post makes any sense.
I didn't post my thoughts one way or another.
I was just commenting on the fact that 92 plus people had viewed the post yet no one had felt like commenting, sort of unusual since over 200 people had posted to "shy but wants to play".
If you are content with what happened then I am happy for you.
As far as what is my business or isn't, I will exercise my right to speak my opinion here just as you do.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I'm not sure your comments makes any sense either.

you did post your comments. IIRC, you stated there were a certain number of views and no posts/replies or comments.

Yours was a comment, unless you think it isn't, then I agree...

Please, by all means exercise your right to speak your opinion. I'll do the same.

Moot. Just plain Moot.

As far as what is my business or isn't, I will exercise my right to speak my opinion here just as you do.

Last edited:

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People ought to really stop worrying about it. The players and the promoters are the only ones affected here.

If the players keep showing up then we fans get our entertainment.

Everyone should just keep their mouths shut regarding the payments. Just get a nice picture of the winner with the big check and call it a day.

BECAUSE NOTHING IS EVER GOING TO CHANGE.

This year we had the new organization tlkaing about how all promoters would be required to escrow their prize money - DIDN'T HAPPEN

Barry promised to put a stack of cash on the table poker style - DIDN'T HAPPEN

Still players showed up, it was streamed, we all got to sweat great play and action and everyone's happy.

It's time for the "little people", those being me and you to just not worry about whether people who choose to play pool for a living get paid or not. They know what they are walking into with every tournament they go to. They know who pays on time and in full and they know who doesn't. Let them sweat it while we watch the streams and enjoy the matches.

Here's a thought, it's excitiing to know that the pros are playing under the ADDED pressure of not knowing if they are going to get paid or not. Drama! Awesome.

Seriously. We have ALL wasted so much energy on this topic and nothing ever changes.

Let's focus on the things that have changed for the better. Women in the US Open - truly a great and overdue move. $1000 bonus for highest finishing woman - terrible idea.

Full field! Awesome first time in a while. Great to see that.

Focus on the good.

so why dont you send people your cases on their word that they will pay you,and see how much you like it when you dont get paid.

bradsh98

Silver Member
Here's a comment.

Actually Tom, you missed the point. The point is: Barry is full of shit and continues to make himself look bad in his press releases. I appreciate what he has done, and continues to do for pool. I'm not saying that he isn't an asset to the sport.. I'm just saying that he would do much better for himself if he weren't so worried about defending himself. When he gets defensive, he ends up looking worse.

I can only hope that by posting this on this forum, it will get enough response to get Barry's attention. Maybe then, he will realize how his lack of professionalism is damaging to the sport. My intent is not to further damage Barry's reputation, but to better the sport. If you think that me calling Barry out is damaging to the sport, I suggest you read through his press releases again.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Actually Tom, you missed the point. The point is: Barry is full of shit and continues to make himself look bad in his press releases. I appreciate what he has done, and continues to do for pool. I'm not saying that he isn't an asset to the sport.. I'm just saying that he would do much better for himself if he weren't so worried about defending himself. When he gets defensive, he ends up looking worse.

I can only hope that by posting this on this forum, it will get enough response to get Barry's attention. Maybe then, he will realize how his lack of professionalism is damaging to the sport. My intent is not to further damage Barry's reputation, but to better the sport. If you think that me calling Barry out is damaging to the sport, I suggest you read through his press releases again.

You are wrong to think that you can influence Barry, pool or me. You only chance is HOPE. Good luck in your important mission.

I cannot agree with you, that would just mean that both of us are wrong.

Last edited:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
If we just focus on all the good and sacrifice Barry has made in the past and will make in the future then players have nothing to think about. All players need to do is what Barry says because he is an expert and true professional.

If we don't just focus on all the good and sacrifice Barry has made it will seem like it is time to replace Barry and Barry's event. Or make Barry do more work than he wants. None of which are positive because more work is higher costs and lower profits. Micromanaging the schedules so that players can sleep between their sessions might be a good idea. Talking with the players about what they liked and didn't like might help.

But since most pool players are only good for an entry fee they don't need much talking to. They are just there for the prize money. Heck what would a pool player know about filing applications to rent an arena, rent pool tables and pay for advertising. That is high-level management, something Barry should be well paid for.

This problem on a small-scale has helped me tremendously with Mayor Mike Bloomberg of NYC, that is all five boroughs. The degree of his cheapness is overwhelming. Mike and Barry should get together to discuss how to be cheap with other people's money. What is worse is they aren't even making promises, it is just trust me. Barry's small scale event is just what I needed to understand Mike's small mindness.

Last edited:

bradsh98

Silver Member
You are wrong to think that you can influence Barry, pool or me. You only chance is HOPE. Good luck in your important mission.

I cannot agree with you, that would mean that both of us are wrong.

Another typical, tactful, response from you. Thank you for doing your part to better this forum. People like you are an asset to this place.

I don't recall saying anything about thinking that I can influence Barry, and I certainly don't give a shit about influencing you. Though, for you to say that I can't influence pool, you are wrong. But, thank you for caring enough to put the effort into your attempts to demean me.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I cannot take the credit for demeaning you, you did that all yourself with your childish comments about Barry and his press releases.

I do stand by my personal opinion that you cannot influence pool by this little post bashing Barry.

I will agree that you can try all you want and if you think you can influence anyone's opinion with your posts, more power to you.

If you post and others reply, you've got to expect NEGATIVES as well as POSITIVES. Deal with this maturely and maybe you might get some respect.

Never respected anyone that used the phrase 'full of shit'

Another typical, tactful, response from you. Thank you for doing your part to better this forum. People like you are an asset to this place.

I don't recall saying anything about thinking that I can influence Barry, and I certainly don't give a shit about influencing you. Though, for you to say that I can't influence pool, you are wrong. But, thank you for caring enough to put the effort into your attempts to demean me.

justnum

Silver Member
An Photo Audit Of Barry's Expenses

View attachment 159693
6 or 7 of these arena size seats.

View attachment 159694
A concession area.

View attachment 159695
This wasn't done on all fire exits.

View attachment 159696
This was done on most fire exits. The other side of the door are vendors and vendor equipment. If there was a fire this would be a hazard. I spent weekends listening to firecode lectures.

View attachment 159697
Providing tables for vendors.

In short Barry rented a bunch of tables and an empty space, blocked off fire exits and sealed large crowds into a small space.

Last edited:

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
I was just commenting on the fact that 92 plus people had viewed the post yet no one had felt like commenting, sort of unusual since over 200 people had posted to "shy but wants to play".
I will exercise my right to speak my opinion here just as you do.

Just don't confuse your opinion with the facts .
example : over 200 people posted in "shy but wants to play"
fact:there are only 117 (at this time ) posts in that thread
fact: less than 50 people (at this time ) have participated in that thread
fact: over 40 of those posts are by Skiergirl55 , responding to people or updating us on her play
Don't know why you picked that thread .
You could have picked "which one , exactly?" , one of our largest threads ever at over 2950 replies and over 54000 views . . . .

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
View attachment 159693
6 or 7 of these arena size seats.

In short Barry rented a bunch of tables and an empty space, blocked off fire exits and sealed large crowds into a small space.

I want to make the point that people seem to think getting this seating set up is cheap. I have priced it. It isnt. Actually its retarded. Try it sometime and you will see.

Barry does the best he can, he is not always right and he is no angel but he has done something no else in this country has managed to do over the last three decades. For me that gets him some slack.

The people who he has owed money to all seem to have made peace with with him and to my knowledge have all been paid eventually. I had a long conversation with Barry and Shane at the Open this year and one thing I am sure of is that the last thing Barry desires is having to answer questions about payouts. He wants the guys paid so people can focus on the good things about the Open. Sometimes that hasnt happened but he has always made it right.

I agree that he can get carried away with his rhetoric but anyone that has met the man knows that is just how he is. Not saying its right or wrong but I try to look at the entirety of a man's work and actions before passing any judgement. I looked hard at the Open the last couple years and said to myself "A guy would have to be nuts to go through this every year." One thing that I believe 100% is that Barry, flaws and all, loves pool and its players as much as any person I have ever met. For that he gets some slack.

PS.-- Regarding the fire exits and what not I am guessing the conference center is pretty familiar with local codes and what they can and can not do regarding doors and access. Every hotel/convention space I have ever dealt with were zealous about this stuff as they were the ones whose ass was on the line with the fire marshall.

Last edited:

justnum

Silver Member
I agree Barry loves pool and pool players.

bradsh98

Silver Member
I cannot take the credit for demeaning you, you did that all yourself with your childish comments about Barry and his press releases.

I do stand by my personal opinion that you cannot influence pool by this little post bashing Barry.

I will agree that you can try all you want and if you think you can influence anyone's opinion with your posts, more power to you.

If you post and others reply, you've got to expect NEGATIVES as well as POSITIVES. Deal with this maturely and maybe you might get some respect.

Never respected anyone that used the phrase 'full of shit'

I fully understand how forums work. I understand that there are 'POSITIVES' and 'NEGATIVES', as you refer to it; some people agree and some disagree. It doesn't have to turn into a personal attack.
You accused me of making childish comments and insinuate that I have not handled the feedback maturely, yet you are the one that turned this into a personal matter with your childish comments. It's just unfortunate that your posts are always so patronizing when you disagree with someone.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I patronized you? sorry, I didn't realize that. I am truly sorry. I didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings, I am sorry.

Now, please.. proceed to influence all that agree with you.. I doubt that you can influence any other. Once again, Good Luck

I missed your point, and somehow I feel better for doing just that.

I fully understand how forums work. I understand that there are 'POSITIVES' and 'NEGATIVES', as you refer to it; some people agree and some disagree. It doesn't have to turn into a personal attack.
You accused me of making childish comments and insinuate that I have not handled the feedback maturely, yet you are the one that turned this into a personal matter with your childish comments. It's just unfortunate that your posts are always so patronizing when you disagree with someone.

bradsh98

Silver Member
I patronized you? sorry, I didn't realize that. I am truly sorry. I didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings, I am sorry.

Now, please.. proceed to influence all that agree with you.. I doubt that you can influence any other. Once again, Good Luck

I missed your point, and somehow I feel better for doing just that.

You certainly didn't hurt my feelings.. It is good to see that you have a sense of humor, though. Your last post made me laugh.

I should correct you; I'm not trying to influence anyone. I simply asked for opinions (I respect that you disagree with mine). I'm not trying to debate anything. I posted links to the articles that I based my original post on and I gave my opinion. I'm not trying to run Barry Behrman's name into the ground, as I mentioned previously. This is not about whether or not the players got paid, or how much he profited on the event. This is about Barry's lack of professionalism IN HIS PRESS RELEASES being damaging to the sport. I'm just curious if anyone else feels the same way. As far as the US Open goes, I hope Barry made a bundle (though I'm sure he didn't). I certainly hope he made enough to, at least, continue having the event each year.