Saunier-Wilhem table

mthornto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a Saunier-Wilhem table for sale: $800. Ad says that table is from the mid 60s. Any mechanics here worked on one? How would you rate them compared to a Gold Crown or Diamond?

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I have one

mthornto said:
There is a Saunier-Wilhem table for sale: $800. Ad says that table is from the mid 60s. Any mechanics here worked on one? How would you rate them compared to a Gold Crown or Diamond?
I have one that I totally refirbished. It came from a poolroom in PA. It took me months to get the 2 layers of paint and the original stain off of the table to get it down to bare wood. I have restained it to try the best as possible to match the top rails "Rosewood" veneer. I had the feet and the pocket irons and table corners professionally polished to a chrome like shine. The only thing that keeps the table from being perfectly beautiful are the very few dents and dings in the rop rails.

Now as far as the comparison to the Gold Grown. The resaon I bought mine was because it looks exactly like a Gold Crown and since it was used I got a good price on the table. I am no table mechanic but I can tell you that the table has a solid framework and very sturdy legs. My slate is 1" thick with a backing board of probably 3/4"-1" thick as well. The table was heavy and solid and I feel that that is part of what makes a good playing table to play well. If you are considering one of these tables I would hit some balls on it so you cann see how nice of a table that they are.

Last edited:

PA Has Been

Registered
Saunier Wilhem Refinish?

I have one that I totally refirbished. It came from a poolroom in PA. It took me months to get the 2 layers of paint and the original stain off of the table to get it down to bare wood. I have restained it to try the best as possible to match the top rails "Rosewood" veneer. I had the feet and the pocket irons and table corners professionally polished to a chrome like shine. The only thing that keeps the table from being perfectly beautiful are the very few dents and dings in the rop rails.

Now as far as the comparison to the Gold Grown. The resaon I bought mine was because it looks exactly like a Gold Crown and since it was used I got a good price on the table. I am no table mechanic but I can tell you that the table has a solid framework and very sturdy legs. My slate is 1" thick with a backing board of probably 3/4"-1" thick as well. The table was heavy and solid and I feel that that is part of what makes a good playing table to play well. If you are considering one of these tables I would hit some balls on it so you cann see how nice of a table that they are.

Kevin, I have a Saunier Wilhem(Salem Model) from the 1960's that I am refinishing. It has the legs that are pink and gray in color and appear to be some type of laminated material(not very attractive). Did your table have these similar legs, if so, how did you refinish them? Can they be painted or what? These are terrific tables and can be bought at bargain prices. If anybody else has done a refinish, pleasr chime in. Thank you.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The main frame is no where near close to any frame of a GC in size or strength. In my opinion its cheap built, and the rails are very cheaply built out of fir wood, not even a hard wood, and pieced together at that.

9-ball B

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saunier- Wilhelm table

I have worked on a few, they play pretty good. Not nearly as well built as a Gold Crown as RKC mentioned, probably at least 200+ lbs. lighter. They are kind of cool though if you like the retro look, and you can usually get them real cheap. You do get what you pay for..