Question for JAM and Others

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm proud to call Buck my friend. I got to know Buck when we used to hang at the Springfield Fast Eddies. He showed me a lot about all games and if nothing was going on he would hold court and we would all laugh and tell jokes and have a great time. He was definitely a fierce competitor.

A lot of times we would all play scotch doubles, races to 5 and Buck and I maybe lost once when partnered together out of....twenty or more times. Others would dog it a lot with Buck because if they played a wrong shot he would definitely say something to them....making them nervous. I didn't have near the cue ball control that Buck has but would usually make most of my shots but didn't always leave him the best shape...he would say something about the poor shape...and I would reply with something like, that is good enough shape for you - fire it in, or something else to pump him up....and he would usually make it or play some jam up safe. He would always comment to me on our win percentage, lol.

I may be also be the only human to have photographs of Buck...in action. Before I left Northern Virginia I brought out the old CANON to the pool room and was taking some shots. Buck kind of looked at me funny when I told him that I wanted his picture. He said, "Sure....just don't be posting my photo on that ollllldddd internet.".....so they will just have to remain in my collection. And yes, I never got a 'still' portrait. Just photos of Buck in high action against another good player.

The thread on "DC BUCK" on onepocket.org has a lot of good stories...but there are plenty more. I remember one time Buck and I went to an apparent rougher pool room in Maryland (I forget the name) to watch a big one pocket match up. I didn't know that this pool room could be rough (nor did I care) but before leaving Buck looked at me and said, "Now, don't you worry. You'll have a great time -- and you'll have no problems because everyone will know you're with me." And we did!

Another gentleman posted about a sort of hierarchy in African American poolrooms, and I must say it was definitely apparent. You could tell that Buck was an esteemed member of that fraternity. Sterling was on a side table setting up a really hard one pocket shot as Buck and I sat across the room leaning against a gold crown dividing our attention between the match up and this shot Sterling was working on.

Finally Sterling made it once...and Buck leaned in saying, "Watch this shot." He made it again and glanced at Buck. Buck just stared letting him know that he saw it but wasn't too impressed. He set it up again, and made it again, then GLARED at Buck...and Buck doubled over with that loud, deep, laugh of his. There seemed to be a message being conveyed along the lines of, "Do you want some of this?", which Buck could appreciate.

Again....just one of many stories. Great thread.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm proud to call Buck my friend. I got to know Buck when we used to hang at the Springfield Fast Eddies. He showed me a lot about all games and if nothing was going on he would hold court and we would all laugh and tell jokes and have a great time. He was definitely a fierce competitor.

A lot of times we would all play scotch doubles, races to 5 and Buck and I maybe lost once when partnered together out of....twenty or more times. Others would dog it a lot with Buck because if they played a wrong shot he would definitely say something to them....making them nervous. I didn't have near the cue ball control that Buck has but would usually make most of my shots but didn't always leave him the best shape...he would say something about the poor shape...and I would reply with something like, that is good enough shape for you - fire it in, or something else to pump him up....and he would usually make it or play some jam up safe. He would always comment to me on our win percentage, lol.

I may be also be the only human to have photographs of Buck...in action. Before I left Northern Virginia I brought out the old CANON to the pool room and was taking some shots. Buck kind of looked at me funny when I told him that I wanted his picture. He said, "Sure....just don't be posting my photo on that ollllldddd internet.".....so they will just have to remain in my collection. And yes, I never got a 'still' portrait. Just photos of Buck in high action against another good player.

The thread on "DC BUCK" on onepocket.org has a lot of good stories...but there are plenty more. I remember one time Buck and I went to an apparent rougher pool room in Maryland (I forget the name) to watch a big one pocket match up. I didn't know that this pool room could be rough (nor did I care) but before leaving Buck looked at me and said, "Now, don't you worry. You'll have a great time -- and you'll have no problems because everyone will know you're with me." And we did!

Another gentleman posted about a sort of hierarchy in African American poolrooms, and I must say it was definitely apparent. You could tell that Buck was an esteemed member of that fraternity. Sterling was on a side table setting up a really hard one pocket shot as Buck and I sat across the room leaning against a gold crown dividing our attention between the match up and this shot Sterling was working on.

Finally Sterling made it once...and Buck leaned in saying, "Watch this shot." He made it again and glanced at Buck. Buck just stared letting him know that he saw it but wasn't too impressed. He set it up again, and made it again, then GLARED at Buck...and Buck doubled over with that loud, deep, laugh of his. There seemed to be a message being conveyed along the lines of, "Do you want some of this?", which Buck could appreciate.

Sterling used to own a chicken wing store on Georgia Avenue in Northwest. Damn good chicken! :grin-square:

Playing partners with Buck would be the best experience. Must have been so much fun!

That pool room you are referring to was in Lanham. Been there many times, and there was a ton of action there.

There used to be another room in Silver Hills with lots of action, but that was probably before your time.;)

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tried to find him in Maryland, could not, which pool hall he goes to, you can PM me. Thanks Matt. Hope all is going well with you.

billy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There used to be another room in Silver Hills with lots of action, but that was probably before your time.;)

Sterling and Buck :) quite the duo :)

------------------------------------------------

'Guys and Dolls' Jen

same time and era as Virginia's Jack and Jill 24hr action always. Guys and Dolls - the Maryland side of DC, the same atmosphere as Beenie's place just a little bit darker :) two 24hr quality poolrooms with the highest caliber pool. Received my poolplayin' degree from these poolschools

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sterling and Buck :) quite the duo :)

------------------------------------------------

'Guys and Dolls' Jen

same time and era as Virginia's Jack and Jill 24hr action always. Guys and Dolls - the Maryland side of DC, the same atmosphere as Beenie's place just a little bit darker :) two 24hr quality poolrooms with the highest caliber pool. Received my poolplayin' degree from these poolschools

Man, you got that right! Big action, too! :cool:

billy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any list of players in MD who doesn't include Steve Gumpheries (or Gumphreys sp??) is incomplete. He's been dead for a number of years, however, passing in the early 80's. A close friend of mine had played him a number of times and says he's at least the equal to the top names mentioned in this thread.

you are right about this fella

... a big time player ...

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you are right about this fella

... a big time player ...

No one mentioned you Billy, as far as I know, no one that is mentioned so far as talented as you are, I know which horse I will pick, and whose bait to avoid. I love your stroke a lot

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried to find him in Maryland, could not, which pool hall he goes to, you can PM me. Thanks Matt. Hope all is going well with you.

All is going well. How are you, Naji? I'm not sure which pool room. I'll have to call Buck.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, is Champion's in Frederick non-smoking pool room? I know they serve alcohol and food, but I was wondering about the smoke.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Non-Smoking

Hey, is Champion's in Frederick non-smoking pool room? I know they serve alcohol and food, but I was wondering about the smoke.

It is non-smoking. They do have an outside covered patio for the smokers. They have propane heaters on the patio to keep it warm in the winter. Come on up Jennie I know Buck would like to see you as well as Gary Allen!

Wedge

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is non-smoking. They do have an outside covered patio for the smokers. They have propane heaters on the patio to keep it warm in the winter. Come on up Jennie I know Buck would like to see you as well as Gary Allen!

Wedge

Non-smoking is great for both of us. Neither one of us smoke. Hallelujah! :angel2:

Would love to see you, Gary, and Buck. We were going to make a day of it at the Cracked Claw but found out they closed down a while back.

Charles Town, here we come, and Champions, of course, is on the way. ;)

bobco729

bobco729
Silver Member
Jam, this is "country" Bob from Bill & Billies. Does Keith still have those old champion tips i gave him a large bag full. That was the year we had the blizzard. I knocked out Doug Sharp and Mike Davis and couldn't come back the next day.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jam, this is "country" Bob from Bill & Billies. Does Keith still have those old champion tips i gave him a large bag full. That was the year we had the blizzard. I knocked out Doug Sharp and Mike Davis and couldn't come back the next day.

Gosh, I do not know. I don't recall ever seeing a large bag of cue tips laying around the house anywhere, but Keith may have a better memory than mine. This occurred about 10 years ago, but not much has changed as far what we have in the house. :D

I will ask him later today when he wakes up.:)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh man, as smooth as they come. Wish I had half of Billy's ability.

Ability?! He gots none! No pool smarts either!

All he has is the smoothest stroke, from setup to delivery, that has ever been seen.

Balls can't refuse to go in the holes when he hits em, out of pure awe for why is imposed upon them.

That is my claim.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Thanks All

Thanks to all the folks that posted stories about Buck as well as all the other players in the MD/DC area. Also thanks for keeping the thread positive!

Thanks Again...I enjoyed all the stories!

Wedge:)