Efren's FargoRate 10-15 years ago?

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear Fargo,

How far back in the past do you have data on?

Is there a way to calculate the FargoRate of a player at a time in the past?

It would be very interesting to see what FargoRate of Efren, Earl, Yang Chin Shun, etc. are 10-15 years ago at their prime.

Thanks,
Kevin

Sent from my Z955L using Tapatalk

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fargorate only goes back a few years. However, Pat Fleming's AccuStats ratings go back over 30 years.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Dear Fargo,

How far back in the past do you have data on?

Is there a way to calculate the FargoRate of a player at a time in the past?

It would be very interesting to see what FargoRate of Efren, Earl, Yang Chin Shun, etc. are 10-15 years ago at their prime.

Thanks,
Kevin

Sent from my Z955L using Tapatalk

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In chess , they have done comparisons of ratings of players from different eras.
The greats from past like Fischer, Kasparov, Capablanca did very well
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_top_chess_players_throughout_history#Elo_system

But the average player from the past era was no match for players of current era. So if 50 random players from past were to play 50 random players in current era, the current players would win quite easily . I would guess that trend would apply to pool also. Though I am not sure whether the best players of today are better or worse than best players of past era because by and large the best players of each era are anomalies and do not represent the average player.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In chess , they have done comparisons of ratings of players from different eras.
The greats from past like Fischer, Kasparov, Capablanca did very well
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_top_chess_players_throughout_history#Elo_system

But the average player from the past era was no match for players of current era. So if 50 random players from past were to play 50 random players in current era, the current players would win quite easily . I would guess that trend would apply to pool also. Though I am not sure whether the best players of today are better or worse than best players of past era because by and large the best players of each era are anomalies and do not represent the average player.

It is interesting that in activities like chess and pool, where there is no good absolute measure of performance, we romanticize the performance of past champions.

But can anyone come up with an activity that has an absolute performance measure, like running or swimming, or weight lifting, or jumping where past champions would be competitive today?

Johnny Weismuller (Tarzan) has one of the best swimming records of the 20th century--several gold medals from the 1920s... But my daughter swam faster times in high school.

Roger Bannister was the first to break the 4-minute mile in a celebrated performance in 1954. Now there are 10 high-school runners that have done it.

For rating systems like Fargo Ratings, there is somewhat of a tradeoff between describing performance over time well and describing contemporaneous performance well. We have chosen the latter. Chess people have lots of old data and have always been more interested in the "over time" piece.