Empty Seats

CptBurbagio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't be buying the pay per view today because I have no vested interest in any of the players remaining. I have been following pool for 4 decades and I don't know who two of the players are, one player I barely know, Chang, and then there is Shaw.

I do believe that if we could legally bet on players there would be a lot more interest.

One other thing. These guys never miss (hardly anyways) and they play so slow and methodical. It's a great cure for insomnia. I can barely stay awake watching these guys and I enjoy watching pool.

Perhaps I am missing the joke, but you not knowing who the world's #1 and #3 are says a lot about the depth of your fandom.

Likewise your claim that they all play "slow and methodical." You really must not know who Jayson Shaw is, but he's not the only one that plays with giddyup these days. Slow the game is not.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't be buying the pay per view today because I have no vested interest in any of the players remaining. I have been following pool for 4 decades and I don't know who two of the players are, one player I barely know, Chang, and then there is Shaw.

I do believe that if we could legally bet on players there would be a lot more interest.

One other thing. These guys never miss (hardly anyways) and they play so slow and methodical. It's a great cure for insomnia. I can barely stay awake watching these guys and I enjoy watching pool.

After 40 years, you’d think one would realize there are new players emerging everyday. I was front row when Gabe Owen won in 2004. He wasn’t exactly “unknown,” but it was pretty awesome seeing a someone who wasn’t a common name playing great.

Also, if you don’t know two(50%) of the players, and Shaw plays blazing fast.....I don’t know how you can claim they all play so slow.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps I am missing the joke, but you not knowing who the world's #1 and #3 are says a lot about the depth of your fandom.

Likewise your claim that they all play "slow and methodical." You really must not know who Jayson Shaw is, but he's not the only one that plays with giddyup these days. Slow the game is not.

Glad I’m not the only one calling BS here.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith looks good! I’m nearing 40 believe it or not :eek: . Still healthy, but definitely noticing a difference.

I’ll stay in touch here and I’ll be in that part of the world in August 2018. We should catch up.

Yes...and billy should come too.

I lost his phone#.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever it takes, better promotion, leagalized gambling, youth programs. Pool seems to have a lot more going for it than ping pong and darts. Maybe someday pool will get a big stage, until then I have a 3pm match.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to bear out what you're saying about the game we love..........I happened to mention to some people at a social event that I was planning on going to the Super Billiards Expo in 2018.
3 or 4 of them said...."Will Minnesota Fats be there?"
That about says it all....:shrug:
:thumbup:

Well..........was he there???????

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith said this is the toughest field at the Open he's ever seen. I'm thinking they should raise the entry fee to $1,000 a man and shorten the player field. I'll bet it fills up way ahead of time, like Zuglan's Turning Stone events do, if they did that. Just a thought.

Entry is $1K.

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I know who Jayson Shaw is and I know how fast he plays. And I know Chang a little bit, but I honestly have no clue who the other two players are. I know who they are now.

What I can say is that I watched last night and the game is slow...sorry, that is my opinion.

blah blah

Shoebat
Charging less- or not charging at all- for a seat to watch would help.

Could also offer free advance tickets online to reserve spots- I'm going to a free movie tomorrow with a friend, reserved last week, and many times my friends and I have registered in advance for free club tickets to see new bands.

People will watch whatever other people are watching. Go out into a crowded shopping center and stare up at the sky. Have a friend come join you. Both of you stare upwards. Soon there will be a crowd- everyone looking up to see what you were looking at.

Politicians pay people to come watch, early in a campaign. People watching tv will see everyone who came, and they think they should pay attention, too.

Or we can continue to charge crazy VIP seat fees and years later everyone will watch the YouTubes and wonder why the bandstands were empty. They'll assume darts is a better game.

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Could also offer free advance tickets online to reserve spots- I'm going to a free movie tomorrow with a friend, reserved last week, and many times my friends and I have registered in advance for free club tickets to see new bands.

People will watch whatever other people are watching. Go out into a crowded shopping center and stare up at the sky. Have a friend come join you. Both of you stare upwards. Soon there will be a crowd- everyone looking up to see what you were looking at.

Politicians pay people to come watch, early in a campaign. People watching tv will see everyone who came, and they think they should pay attention, too.

Or we can continue to charge crazy VIP seat fees and years later everyone will watch the YouTubes and wonder why the bandstands were empty. They'll assume darts is a better game.

soooo you're cheap?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Entry is $1K.

Then make it $1,250 or $1,500. I'm just thinking of a way to have a smaller field, requiring less time for hotel expense. A 4-day tournament like the Joss Turning Stone is what I am thinking.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's a great idea! :)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Great event but there are definitely some big turnoffs for the fans. Here are a few examples:

1) Player timeouts in the middle of rack. This, to me, is absolutely ridiculous. A competitive, tense, exciting rack can be interrupted by this as was the case when Sanchez-Ruiz took a mid-rack break in the semifinal against Kaci during a safety battle. Timeouts are mostly for team games and are used chiefly for strategy discussions and clock management, neither of which apply to pool. Bathroom breaks should be permitted, as they are in tennis, but never in the middle of a game. The play is the thing and mid-rack breaks stink for fans. In pool, most breaks are taken for gamesmanship/momentum/psychology reasons anyway, and commentator Mark Wilson often takes note of it, once remarking "I think that's a good time for him to take his break, as the match seems to be getting away from him."

2) The match schedule is rarely adhered to, and I don't mean matches that start late because other matches hold them up. The first match of the evening session, which is never held up by another match, seemed to always start well after the announced time. In one case this week, you could watch the players warming up for over half an hour after the scheduled start time, so the match wasn't held up by the absence of the players. There is also too much time between matches. The result of all this is that a lot of matches go into the wee hours of the morning, and whether I'm there, or watching on the stream, it often means that I miss these matches, which seem to be played played in front of zero fans.

3) Commentators, some good and some awful, are always unprepared, knowing little about player accomplishments, little about the head-to-head history between the competitors, and even less about the lives of the players. Mark Wilson spent a lot of time talking about the jet-lag issue during a Ko Pin-Yi match, often trying to explain away some mistakes, but the truth is that Ko Pin-Yi, who had played in the event at Gotham in Brooklyn, NY, the week before, had already been in the USA for at least two weeks. This is all a shame for both stream-buyers and the attendees, who generally buy the headsets so they can listen to the commentary, which is badly uninformed. Either get commentators who closely follow the pro pool tournament scene or arm commentators with fact sheets that enable them to offer insights about the players, their accomplishments, etc.

Last edited:

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing is for certain. I did not see any open seats when the finals was played.

It was a packed house and Shaw was super exciting to watch. The US Open has stood the test of time.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who owns the US Open now? Is it Pat Fleming, the Behrmans, or maybe they are co-owners?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He'll be there in spirit! LOL :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Just to bear out what you're saying about the game we love..........I happened to mention to some people at a social event that I was planning on going to the Super Billiards Expo in 2018.
3 or 4 of them said...."Will Minnesota Fats be there?"
That about says it all....:shrug:
:thumbup:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the commentators said Big Ko won a world title at 16 or around there. I think he was thinking about Wu.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then make it $1,250 or $1,500. I'm just thinking of a way to have a smaller field, requiring less time for hotel expense. A 4-day tournament like the Joss Turning Stone is what I am thinking.

The problem is they need more tables. 139 player field, double elimination, race to 11 with 13 tables is going to take a long time.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Still doesn’t fix the at home viewership needed to bring major sponsorship in. Which is the only thing that will ever make things better.

The problem doesn’t lie in manufacturing crowds. This method is used when something new is introduced, or you have a short term goal(political elections).

Pool in its current form has been around quite a long time, so we are past trying to manufacture/trick people into watching.

The only way you could even begin to use this method is if you could get 30k people in a stadium(never happen). The average person has seen a professional event such as the NFL and that’s what they will unconsciously be comparing it to. Otherwise, even if stands are packed, it will still be a crowd of only a few hundred, and that won’t be enough to impress anyone.

So, using your suggestion, promoters wouldn’t make enough to justify them putting on the tournaments and eventually would stop.

I believe the US viewership will have to evolve again for pool to become popular with the general public. It used to be fairly popular in the mosconi days. Now everything is high speed/impact. NBA, NFL, MLB, UFC, NASCAR.....etc. It evolved to this over time and it may evolve back into games with less action.

When/if it does, one organization will have to come out on top as the major league of pool(notice all the things I listed are actually leagues/organizations), to unite most of the talent into one area.