Need to Move Old Table, Any Advice Please!

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
I need to re-locate this table on Saturday. I've contacted a number of different movers and nobody is available on short notice, or in this remote location.

My only option is doing it myself. I've never taken apart a table before, so I'm hoping for some advice.

First, my skillset... My woodworking and mechanical skills, and tools, should be up to the task. (However, if any super-specialized tools are necessary, please let me know!)

Ok, a couple questions to get me started on the right track:

1) I plan on labeling EVERYTHING, draw a diagram, and lots of pictures. Any other advice here?
2) Do I start by removing the rails, then the felt, then the slate?
3) How do people usually move the slate? (At this point, I do not know how many pieces, or thickness. Thankfully, there are no stairs.)

I realize certain aspects of this will be somewhat table-specific. Any tips specific to this old Brunswick is greatly appreciated.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Attachments

• zzz3.jpg
    zzz3.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 465
  • zzz1.jpg
    zzz1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 459
  • zzz2.jpg
    zzz2.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 478
  • zzz4.jpg
    zzz4.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Youtube

Check the internet, should find some good stuff.
Get yourself some sturdy freezer bags to hold all the nuts/bolts. Label everything and take pics.
Use a grease pencil on under side of slates to be sure they are in same positions.

Check the ask a mechanic forum.....

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Start with removing the fascia boards, under the rails. This will expose the rail bolts.

Use one of the following tools, to remove the rail bolts:

Adjustable Fork Bit
Adjustable Spanner Wrench

Remove the rails, then the cloth. Might just as well pull the staples now, rather than later. I use one of these: Staple Puller

If there are no marks visible already, take a marker or soap stone and draw a large semi-circle across all 3 slates. This serves as a guide for reassembly. You will likely need a large tip straight screwdriver to remove the slate screws (I use an impact or drill). Only remove the screws that are holding the slate to the frame. You will notice a lot of screws around the perimeter. The outermost screws hold the slate liners to the slate. DO NOT remove those.. They are about 1 1/2" length. The innermost screws are probably 3 1/2" length. There should be 4 or 6 per slate.

Once the slates are loose, you can slide each one off the side of the table, to stand it upright against the frame. You can now slide a dolly under the edge, and cart it outside. If it is a single-width doorway, you may struggle to jockey the slate through. A 9' slate will just fit through a 36" wide doorway. A 10' slate will not. I generally have a helper with me, and we carry the slates through the doorways. However, 10' slates are very heavy, and you won't want to carry it any further than absolutely necessary. You can stack the slates on top of one-another in your vehicle. Just be sure that there are no staples or screws in the bottoms of the slate liners, as they will gouge the underlying slate.

After the slates are loaded in your vehicle, you can disassemble the frame. It is pretty straight-forward on this model table. The frame members will be doweled into the legs. Once the bolts are removed, it MAY require a few bumps with a rubber mallet to separate them. If you look, most components should be stamped with a series of locating numbers. It never hurts to take photos.

Good luck!

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Check the internet, should find some good stuff.
Get yourself some sturdy freezer bags to hold all the nuts/bolts. Label everything and take pics.
Use a grease pencil on under side of slates to be sure they are in same positions.

Check the ask a mechanic forum.....

Bring plenty of ziplock bags and a sharpie, check! Thanks!

Start with removing the fascia boards, under the rails. This will expose the rail bolts.

Use one of the following tools, to remove the rail bolts:

Adjustable Fork Bit
Adjustable Spanner Wrench

Remove the rails, then the cloth. Might just as well pull the staples now, rather than later. I use one of these: Staple Puller

If there are no marks visible already, take a marker or soap stone and draw a large semi-circle across all 3 slates. This serves as a guide for reassembly. You will likely need a large tip straight screwdriver to remove the slate screws (I use an impact or drill). Only remove the screws that are holding the slate to the frame. You will notice a lot of screws around the perimeter. The outermost screws hold the slate liners to the slate. DO NOT remove those.. They are about 1 1/2" length. The innermost screws are probably 3 1/2" length. There should be 4 or 6 per slate.

Once the slates are loose, you can slide each one off the side of the table, to stand it upright against the frame. You can now slide a dolly under the edge, and cart it outside. If it is a single-width doorway, you may struggle to jockey the slate through. A 9' slate will just fit through a 36" wide doorway. A 10' slate will not. I generally have a helper with me, and we carry the slates through the doorways. However, 10' slates are very heavy, and you won't want to carry it any further than absolutely necessary. You can stack the slates on top of one-another in your vehicle. Just be sure that there are no staples or screws in the bottoms of the slate liners, as they will gouge the underlying slate.

After the slates are loaded in your vehicle, you can disassemble the frame. It is pretty straight-forward on this model table. The frame members will be doweled into the legs. Once the bolts are removed, it MAY require a few bumps with a rubber mallet to separate them. If you look, most components should be stamped with a series of locating numbers. It never hurts to take photos.

Good luck!

Geoff Bradshaw... Priceless! I'm in awe. That is exactly the type of detail I'm looking for. Your post will probably be my bible on this.

Funny how that fork bit is a brace bit, which would've been appropriate for the era of this table haha

This would definitely help make it easier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsmbQMiO-S4

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link! Nifty little contraption he made there.

Bowmer

"Shooter"
Silver Member
Take your time and be careful with the screws. Doesn't take much to strip out the heads. Most of the screws that you are going to find will be slotted heads not Phillips. Make sure you are using the correct size screw driver or bit. Do not over tighten when doing re-assembly really easy to split wood or strip out holes with drill or impact. I like to use a bit driver but only to get them close, then I tighten by hand.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Doesn't take much to strip out the heads. Most of the screws that you are going to find will be slotted heads not Phillips. Make sure you are using the correct size screw driver or bit.
As I read I immediately thought of disassembling a firearm. Particularly older ones... Anyone who's ever done that knows what I'm talking about. But then I read:

Do not over tighten when doing re-assembly really easy to split wood or strip out holes with drill or impact. I like to use a bit driver but only to get them close, then I tighten by hand.

..and realized you definitely know your way around some woodworking.

Spot on. Great advice.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It will be HEAVY, Did I say it will be Heavy? I moved my first with the slates laying in the bed of the trailer on top of each other the rest I put put them on their sides and strapped them in really, really, well.
Put some 2,4s on floor to sit slates on , hitting a bump can chip off pieces, if it's on the floor or a blanket.
Although once I hired a guy and his cousin to move a 4.5 x9 Brunswick GC and the smaller guy tweaked his back on the second slate.
The big guy grabs the last slate and brings it down 8 stairs to the basement by himself and he actually carried it out from his body , like a picture frame, so it was all arms
lol,
He was a gorilla.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most difficult part of the move is the slate. Those three piece slates weigh about 300 lbs or more. I would use 4 men and plan your route in advance such that you know how you are going to navigate doors, steps and distance. It would be best to reassemble the table and rough level it before you place the moved slates on it.

good luck

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Likely being doweled slate - on the off chance that joints were heavily bondo'd or super glued, it could be worth taking a heat gun & box cutter along.

Hopefully having it will be the insurance it is not needed.

If it is, go slow & don't overheat the slate in any one spot. (spalling)

smt - can take tables apart - has not yet put one back together. :)