Hoppe? Titlist?

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I'm curious how to tell one from the other. Aren't both styles similar? Could I please see some pics? My Josey was done in the old pantograph method...4 needle sharp & even points with 4 veneers. Birds eye maple forearm, ebony below the wrap with a black butt cap. No points below the wrap. Yet some have told me it's a Hoppe style, others have said Titlist. All I really know is that I like it's hit...

Last edited:

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A hoppe is a traditionally a titlist forearm with a hoppe ring. No ring, no hoppe.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I'm curious how to tell one from the other. Aren't both styles similar? Could I please see some pics? My Josey was done in the old pantograph method...4 needle sharp & even points with 4 veneers. Birds eye maple forearm, ebony below the wrap with a black butt cap. No points below the wrap. Yet some have told me it's a Hoppe style, others have said Titlist. All I really know is that I like it's hit...

A "Hoppe" style means it has a white ring above a black buttplate

A "Titlist" style is the classic Brunswick veneer stack of natural, brown, teal, purple (from inside to outside)

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Thanks...then mine is neither, I guess. I'm terrible with a camera, but here's a shot of the veneers and the butt.

Attachments

• DSCN0225.jpg
    DSCN0225.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 595
  • DSCN0226.jpg
    DSCN0226.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 610

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that a Navy/White wrap -- can you take a few pictures of your cue in natural light please?

Right now I'm thinking of replacing some of my Irish linen with stacked leather or different color spec, and the navy/white combo was one I was looking at...just want to see it better compared to the other colors in your cue.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Is that a Navy/White wrap -- can you take a few pictures of your cue in natural light please?

Right now I'm thinking of replacing some of my Irish linen with stacked leather or different color spec, and the navy/white combo was one I was looking at...just want to see it better compared to the other colors in your cue.

Sorry, the old point & shoot Nikon died on me, haven't replaced it. But probably washed out a bit by the flash. Under normal light, it looks black/white spec.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Are you thinking of the Willie Hoppe Professional model ? Veneers, with leather wrap and Hoppe ring with the blue or green label on the butt

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're thinking of having any kind of wrap replaced, have it done by Lance Cowles (posts here as Bossman69). Find Lance on FB at Cuesports of Battle Creek. He does all of the stacked leather wraps (and other materials too) for Seyberts. Contact him directly to cut out the middleman and get a better deal. His quality is the best available, and he guarantees everything that goes out his shop. He's also one of the top instructors in the country, and specializes in teaching 1-pkt.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, my info was always:

Titlist = one piece cue, classic veneers , purple,
peacock, brown, natural.. butt is usually gonco
alves.. some are purple heart, I’ve only seen
one that was ebony or rosewood.

Hoppe= two piece cue, leather wrap,
Ivory ‘Hoppe’ ring on end of butt, no
bumper, brass piloted joint, veneers
vary, and butt wood varies. $.02

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
A Hoppe style cue has a white Hoppe ring instead of a butt cap.
Not to be confused with the two piece Brunswick Willie Hoppe signature cues which may or may not have an ivory Hoppe ring.
I had an old one with both the big black plastic butt cap you see on some old Brunswicks, and it also had an ivory Hoppe ring.

The titlist was the veneered blank designed by Rambow used for house cues, 2-piece signature cues, Herman Rambow cues, Balabushkas, etc. some had Hoppe rings and some had the traditional looking butt cap

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
The Titlist was a veneered one-piece "house" cue built by Brunswick and used as "blank" from which jointed cues were made by numerous builders.

A Hoppe-style cue is a cue with a short black buttcap and no bumper. Most often it is accompanied by an Ivory (or white) ring directly above, like Mr. Webb just posted.

The "Hoppe" designation came about on the heals of the Hoppe Pro. Which was a Brunswick factory two-piece cue made with a Titlist blank. It was made both with an ivory ring and without.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The Titlist was a veneered one-piece "house" cue built by Brunswick and used as "blank" from which jointed cues were made by numerous builders.

A Hoppe-style cue is a cue with a short black buttcap and no bumper. Most often it is accompanied by an Ivory (or white) ring directly above, like Mr. Webb just posted.

The "Hoppe" designation came about on the heals of the Hoppe Pro. Which was a Brunswick factory two-piece cue made with a Titlist blank. It was made both with an ivory ring and without.

Believe the member from Singapore who died too young: Titlist Sucker had a great web-site, and photo of his favorite Cues. Titlists, his aka was TitlistSucker.

Also Tate has some info on the history of the Titlist Cue on his web-site,

I play with a Converted Full Splice Original Titlist Circa 1950, it is Full Splice, NOT Titlist Butt Section, New Handle, Titlist Front Original. Butt Secetion is all Originasl.

Point are not 110% perfect, but the Cue is balanced to my likeing, hits well, and has potential to play better then guy with old eyes. Also has Hoppy Ring, Faux Cortland Type Wrap, and is all I need.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Believe the member from Singapore who died too young: Titlist Sucker had a great web-site, and photo of his favorite Cues. Titlists, his aka was TitlistSucker.

Also Tate has some info on the history of the Titlist Cue on his web-site,

I play with a Converted Full Splice Original Titlist Circa 1950, it is Full Splice, NOT Titlist Butt Section, New Handle, Titlist Front Original. Butt Secetion is all Originasl.

Point are not 110% perfect, but the Cue is balanced to my likeing, hits well, and has potential to play better then guy with old eyes. Also has Hoppy Ring, Faux Cortland Type Wrap, and is all I need.

Hey, CC. I remember Raist Chen; he had some nice cues and was a hell of a shooter, as well.

Here's Tate's website: http://www.palmercollector.com/Titlist.html

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

You are correct, my main playing cue is a Willie Hoppe Pro model. Had it refinished to perfection and it plays and looks great. Now, when I refinished it I went with white linen with green speck instead of leather. Just didn't like the leather feel in the summer time. Still a nice old school look to it.