Mike Surber Case

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sadly the killer, or killers have never been caught, tried, and convicted. Thousands of people in the U.S.A., are killed annually, many more cases go unsolved then solved.

JMHO

Hopefully who ever did this died a painful death from cancer under a bridge alone.

That’s how I feel about it.

Just will never be right with me.

Fatboy

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The Unibomber got away with his crime until one tip, helped the good guys, find Ted Kenzenski in cabin living the weird life in Montana. One tip, the right tip could help find this killer.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy MAY have been inside and MAY have been paroled/released. Mike got killed by a douchebag pos., prison or no prison. All the conjecture here serves ZERO purpose. I find it a bit odd that if this a-hole spends that much time around pool that he hasn't been spotted and questioned. This case is already cold and getting colder.

That guy has ex-con written all over him. I'd start with sending the video to local, state and federal correction facilities and I'd also send it to parole officers.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That guy has ex-con written all over him. I'd start with sending the video to local, state and federal correction facilities and I'd also send it to parole officers.
I agree that's entirely possible but its still nothing but a guess. I'm sure these photos have made the rounds by now. If he's a con then he's probably a drifter as well. When the word got out he likely bailed. Wouldn't surprise me if he's in Alaska. That state is major refuge for those who want to disappear. It would REALLY surprise me if he's within 1000mi of orig. crime scene.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about the fat girl named Vicky from Georgia he was seen with? Somebody in that area must know her and seen him with her.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about the fat girl named Vicky from Georgia he was seen with? Somebody in that area must know her and seen him with her.

You can’t throw a dead cat in Georgia without hitting a fat chick named Vicky. Hopefully we can find the right tubby one to do some good.

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's sad that even with video that he hasn't been caught. One thing I learned reading the article and watching the you tube video was that his stance is very unique. Hopefully, he will get caught but it doesn't look likely. Too bad they couldn't retrieve any DNA.
Dardusm, they actually do have DNA from the suspect. I believe it was obtained from a cigarette butt. That relates to part of the good news last year: that the FBI @ Quantico had a new method of analysis of evidence, and would be using it in this case.

But the fact is that the national DNA database is not that broad or encompassing. Some state prisons don't even take DNA. But at least if they get a good suspect they will be able to match him with the existing DNA.

Now, with a new investigator at the Ocean Springs, Miss. PD (where Mike lived and died) there is hope that he'll be able to enhance the investigation.

~Doc

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well the more people talk about, try and keep the information about the "suspect" in people view maybe their will be a break in the case.

The other stumbling block is if the "suspect" is located, will the people from Mississippi come and get him?

Might sound goofy but many time people are stopped for minor traffic offenses with active murder warrants on them. Problem is they are wanted in some place with no funds in budget to travel far to come get the wanted person.

Cousin neighbor is motorcycle cop in Vegas, he stop some person for walking, find out they are wanted in rural Montana. Good folk in Montana will not travel to pick the wanted person up, they walk.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well the more people talk about, try and keep the information about the "suspect" in people view maybe their will be a break in the case.

The other stumbling block is if the "suspect" is located, will the people from Mississippi come and get him?

Might sound goofy but many time people are stopped for minor traffic offenses with active murder warrants on them. Problem is they are wanted in some place with no funds in budget to travel far to come get the wanted person.

Cousin neighbor is motorcycle cop in Vegas, he stop some person for walking, find out they are wanted in rural Montana. Good folk in Montana will not travel to pick the wanted person up, they walk.
If there is an active warrant, especially murder1, you bet Miss. will want him back. The scenario you describe is super rare. Murder warrants are nation-wide and if you get pulled over and they run you ,you're busted. Fake id's, tags etc can complicate things for sure. NO state blows-off extraditing a murder suspect over funds.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I doubt that-ain't happening on a murder case.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will there ever be justice for Mike Surber and his family? :(

I sure hope so.
Without an eye witness(not always reliable,btw) or some solid DNA catching these drifter asswipes is very difficult. This guy could get caught in another place/state and try to use this in a bargaining/plea type deal. Hope they nail the scumbag but i'm not holding my breath. The colder these cases get the less likely of a good outcome.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
wish this was true

If there is an active warrant, especially murder1, you bet Miss. will want him back. The scenario you describe is super rare. Murder warrants are nation-wide and if you get pulled over and they run you ,you're busted. Fake id's, tags etc can complicate things for sure. NO state blows-off extraditing a murder suspect over funds.

I suspect this killer is either dead or quietly serving time somewhere for another crime. Looks like no justice for Mike Surber regardless.

Dollars do often decide bringing somebody back. I overheard the parish prosecutors talking economics. One major murder case a year they could handle. Two and pretty much everything else had to drop through the cracks and they still had budget issues. Three separate murders in the same fiscal year? One would have to be plead out no matter how ridiculous the deal was.

For most of my life I was naive enough to believe people didn't get away with murder. Then I saw murderers walking the streets. Enough evidence to be certain beyond a reasonable doubt they did it, not enough evidence to throw half or more of a year's budget at the crime with no guarantee of conviction. Aside from anything else, failed prosecutions look very bad come election time!

I suspect that half to three-fourths of those 39% unresolved killings have suspects that are strongly believed to be guilty. That just isn't good enough. Prosecutors are looking for cases needing not much more than a rubber stamp.

No Justice for Mike Surber, no justice for Edwin Reyes, an AZB member killed about the same time so I always think of them together. Edwin was assassinated in front of his children. I understand it was a political killing, Edwin had gotten involved in a big man's game and he was a small man that could be made an example of. This was the rumor anyway.

Somehow I don't think either of these men will get justice in this world. Sure would like to be wrong!

Hu

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Mike was my good friend. He was a good man -- as straight-up a person as any of us will ever know -- one in ten million, or better. I tend to agree with Hu -- the perp is either dead or in prison. I say this because the perp was "in the pool world", had very identifiable characteristics, and I do not believe he just quit playing. I have to believe that the pool world would have found this guy out if he was in circulation -- he was not reported to be the type who could hide in plain sight.

I do not want to believe the bastard is dead or in prison, however, because I want to to see this piece of human garbage have to settle his account over Mike. (I'd like to help the m&#$@#f&#$@*.) I keep reminding myself that karma usually proves itself real and that somehow everthing evens itself out. This usually works for me, but in Mike's case, it is just not enough -- Mike Surber deserves more.

Earlier this year, several of us spoke with the new detective assigned to the case. He seemed to be very motivated, and I was encouraged -- I even saved his name and number in my phone. In fact, I believe I will call him in the morning.

Pray for Mike and his family and loved ones. Be careful and stay safe. Remember what we should have all learned from Mike's death -- never let your guard down because evil can occur to anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Mike was my good friend. He was a good man -- as straight-up a person as any of us will ever know -- one in ten million, or better. I tend to agree with Hu -- the perp is either dead or in prison. I say this because the perp was "in the pool world", had very identifiable characteristics, and I do not believe he just quit playing. I have to believe that the pool world would have found this guy out if he was in circulation -- he was not reported to be the type who could hide in plain sight.

I do not want to believe the bastard is dead or in prison, however, because I want to to see this piece of human garbage have to settle his account over Mike. (I'd like to help the m&#$@#f&#$@*.) I keep reminding myself that karma usually proves itself real and that somehow everthing evens itself out. This usually works for me, but in Mike's case, it is just not enough -- Mike Surber deserves more.

Earlier this year, several of us spoke with the new detective assigned to the case. He seemed to be very motivated, and I was encouraged -- I even saved his name and number in my phone. In fact, I believe I will call him in the morning.

Pray for Mike and his family and loved ones. Be careful and stay safe. Remember what we should have all learned from Mike's death -- never let your guard down because evil can occur to anyone, anytime, anywhere.

The problem is, most people aren't on AZ. If it wasn't for this site 99% of us wouldn't know anything about it. If something was sent to ALL League members he probably would have been found immediately

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if someone had mailed a picture of him to every pool room in the country or at least the south. and asked for it to be posted in the room. then it might have caught him.

and one to every prison. with the reward notice. you can bet he was in some prison at some time.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
If something was sent to ALL League members he probably would have been found immediately

Thats a great idea. Who has more reach than the APA. I think they should put out a memo. Anyone agree?

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Sure sounds like a great idea to me....emails with photos and links to all L.O.'s and team Captains. Not just APA...could work.

Also, a tip of my hat to those bumping this thread...