Idiot of the year winner -- is this fixable?

mattslyk

Registered
So...I am apparently brilliant when it comes to taking apart my pool table. Not realizing it was a pinned slate, I lifted up on one of the end pieces. Of course, this cracked/damaged the slate pretty badly at each pin sleeve location. I am pretty disgusted with myself but after doing some reading on here it sounds like it should be relatively fixable.

All of the pin locations broke -- some wider/larger than others. Three broke clean off, and one is cracked but still in place (sounds hollow when I tap it though...).

1) For the thin pieces with a large surface area, I can't seem to get them to sit flush with the rest of the surface even if I clean out all debris, etc. If I superglue them in place, and there is a bit of a "lip," can I come back later and sand them flush again? Or what's the best way to do these pieces?

2) For the deep crack that flaked apart (many pieces, not able to put back together), is the best way to just do layers of epoxy and/or bondo to bring it back up to flush with the surface?

3) For the damage that hasn't broken off (hollow sounding), should I break that so that I can re-glue it and know that it's solid? My concern would be a ball dropping on that area and shattering it after I put cloth down.

4) I'm getting ready to move the table into semi-long term storage (a few years)...what of the above needs to be done BEFORE putting it into storage? What can wait to be done until I'm ready to set it up again?

Anything I'm missing here?

Thanks for the help..and feel free to make fun of me for my mistake!:embarrassed2:

Here's the photo. I already super-glued one piece back down (top pin, it was pretty flush), and I started to glue the huge piece down but realized it was not going to sit flush so I pulled it back up. The bottom pin is the one that broke into a ton of small pieces, and the pin between (3rd from top) is the one that did not break off but is cracked and hollow.

IMAGE_1.jpg

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
I have seen a lot worse. I have had at least 3 different customers call me after breaking done there table and moving it. They decide its to hard to reassemble it. They tell me rails need some rebuilding done to them.....they removed 14 rail bolt instead of 18 bolts snapped all four side rails.

Yours it typical mess up but fun to fix. Do a search real king cobra did a thread with photos on how to fix it correctly.

Craig

stevel

Lomax Custom Cues
Silver Member
I purchased a Brunswick Anniversary and the same thing had happened to the slate at one time or other. It was fixed but still had issues. So instead of trying to clean all that stuff out and start over, I just purchased new slate. I have a set of Anniversary slate if someone needs them it will just need to be repaired. I just didn't want to fool with the repair. No charge for the slate,just come and get it.