Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page JB Custom Cases - which one would you get?
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
JB Custom Cases - which one would you get?
Old
  (#1)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

JB Custom Cases - which one would you get? - 05-07-2020, 02:03 PM

What would be your favorite JB case if you decided to do a custom order? Post a link from the gallery, what style, what color?

https://jbcases.com/casegallery.html

I have had and still have dozens of old collector cases, some even 100 years old. I'm a case nut. I've decided to order my first custom case with my name engraved on it. It's going to be this JB Case, called the Mars 1972, pics below. I've always admired the envelope cases. It's leather custom and hand tooled. I asked John how much. I was honestly expecting $800 to $1,000. it's less than 1/2 that. Under $500. This has got to be the best value in a custom leather case on the planet.
Attached Images

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 05-07-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Old
  (#2)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

05-07-2020, 02:13 PM

I had a Mason, it was 2 X 4. John has many variations today, I made the mistake of selling. Apprently it has changed hand two or three more times.

I honestly could not think of any improvement to make it better.

https://jbcases.com/cases-for-sale-i...thermason.html

I would like another 2 X 4 Mason, I would order plain, no tooling, just a DARK Brown Color. Almost the darkest brown possible, but not so dark the personality of the leather was invisible.

JMHO

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Old
  (#3)
magnetardo
AzB Silver Member
magnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-07-2020, 04:58 PM

John makes great cases no doubt, but as far as the best value, I have to disagree. A Dennis Swift case in that style is half the price and handcrafted in the U.S.

Old
  (#4)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

05-07-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetardo View Post
John makes great cases no doubt, but as far as the best value, I have to disagree. A Dennis Swift case in that style is half the price and handcrafted in the U.S.
Not sure Dennis is still doing CASES? Do you know?

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Old
  (#5)
cue4me
AzB Silver Member
cue4me has a reputation beyond reputecue4me has a reputation beyond reputecue4me has a reputation beyond reputecue4me has a reputation beyond reputecue4me has a reputation beyond reputecue4me has a reputation beyond reputecue4me has a reputation beyond reputecue4me has a reputation beyond reputecue4me has a reputation beyond reputecue4me has a reputation beyond reputecue4me has a reputation beyond repute

05-07-2020, 05:40 PM

That is a beautiful JB case and I don't think you could go wrong with this one. The Swift case is certainly less money and appears to be well constructed. There is definitely a difference in the overall appearance, the JB just has a feeling of sophistication about it that is not there on the Swift case. However, I'm sure like mant things in life that is just a matter of taste. The nice thing about the Swift case, IMO, is that it has tubes to hold the butts with an option for tubes for the shafts also. It seems tubes, if only for the butts, would add a degree of stiffness that may not otherwise be there.

Old
  (#6)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-07-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue4me View Post
That is a beautiful JB case and I don't think you could go wrong with this one. The Swift case is certainly less money and appears to be well constructed. There is definitely a difference in the overall appearance, the JB just has a feeling of sophistication about it that is not there on the Swift case. However, I'm sure like mant things in life that is just a matter of taste. The nice thing about the Swift case, IMO, is that it has tubes to hold the butts with an option for tubes for the shafts also. It seems tubes, if only for the butts, would add a degree of stiffness that may not otherwise be there.
I have some of Dennis' earliest cases, same with Jack's. Swift cases are great and a good value but just look at all the custom designs John has done. It's amazing the numerous styles that are offered.

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Old
  (#7)
Hunter
The King of Memes
Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000
Location: Arizona: Land of a Half Million Illegal Immigrants and a "dry heat"...

05-07-2020, 07:00 PM

Hey Chris,

I'm still a big fan of old school 1x2 cases, so I think I'd go with the History Series, which remind me of the old A.E. Schmidt cases:

http://www.jbcases.com/history4.html

Best,

Steve

"I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain it to you"...

Old
  (#8)
Scrunge19
Registered
Scrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond repute

05-07-2020, 07:07 PM

Those big leather cases are heavy as hell though, especially if you load them up with 3+ cues and a multitude of shafts. And playing in league has me going to all kinds of dive bars so I wouldn't want to bring a nice leather case to a crappy, smoke filled bar.

Old
  (#9)
Buster8001
Did you say shrubberies?
Buster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond repute

05-08-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy View Post
I had a Mason, it was 2 X 4. John has many variations today, I made the mistake of selling. Apprently it has changed hand two or three more times.

I honestly could not think of any improvement to make it better.

https://jbcases.com/cases-for-sale-i...thermason.html

I would like another 2 X 4 Mason, I would order plain, no tooling, just a DARK Brown Color. Almost the darkest brown possible, but not so dark the personality of the leather was invisible.

JMHO
Agree here, 100%.

My current case is a JB basket-weave Mason. It's a phenomenal case and I haven't had the desire for any other case since I bought the Mason.

"Eight ball up her thight!"
-Kung Fu Master-

"Pool is an analog game in a digital world."
-Chuck Fields-

Old
  (#10)
jsalazar
AzB Silver Member
jsalazar has a reputation beyond reputejsalazar has a reputation beyond reputejsalazar has a reputation beyond reputejsalazar has a reputation beyond reputejsalazar has a reputation beyond reputejsalazar has a reputation beyond reputejsalazar has a reputation beyond reputejsalazar has a reputation beyond reputejsalazar has a reputation beyond reputejsalazar has a reputation beyond reputejsalazar has a reputation beyond repute

05-08-2020, 08:42 AM

http://www.jbcases.com/23793.html

Old
  (#11)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member
Snooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond repute

05-08-2020, 08:52 AM

An impressive body of work!

Old
  (#12)
West Point 1987
On the Hill, Out of Gas
West Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond repute

05-08-2020, 08:54 AM

I've got a 3x6 Mason with my nickname tooled into it, two pockets. Best case I've ever owned, very functional, top quality construction.

Bill "Woodeye" Woods
What's in my (Instroke) Case?
Playing Cue: Schon SL19/STL17, with Cuetec Cynergy CF shaft
Jump/Break: McDermott Stinger NGO1

Other Cues Owned:
-R- 26 1/2 Tribute cue w/Gulyassy SPTX Shaft
Gulyassy PHX, with SPT shaft
Joss J15 (stolen)
Joss J11 (was a break cue for 15 years, now my son's player)
McDermott D-8 (sold, 1989)
McDermott D-23 (sold, 1991)
McDermott D-6 (sold, 1990)
GEM (Gary Medlin) Szambotti Tribute (retired)

Old
  (#13)
Geosnooker
AzB Silver Member
Geosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond repute

05-08-2020, 09:00 AM

I prefer simpler, less ‘girly’ cases. No ornamentation.

I don’t need ‘stuff’ in my case other than the cue. The lighter and simpler the better. ‘Fancy stuff’ is also more the target of theft. I don’t want to have to take my case with me to the bathroom

Old
  (#14)
gregnice37
Bar Banger, Cue Collector
gregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond repute

05-08-2020, 09:38 AM

I've had about 15-20 cases from John. All different kinds and layouts. A few leather and a few rugged and all in between. I change my mind so often it's crazy. I love/loved all of them but have narrowed it down to 5 cases that I've kept. If I ever need another case, it sure would always be a JB.

Old
  (#15)
misterpoole
AzB Silver Member
misterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond repute

05-08-2020, 11:43 AM

I had the same idea about ordering a case from JB. It was after reading about John's recent run in with his ego.
All publicity is good publicity it does seem.
Anyway i looked at the customs and decided i didnt need another fancy case so i will get a Rugged 3x4 with bigger pockets. I did get one reply to an email to JB cases but replies have stopped so i will get one from a distributor that happens to be close by.
So Good Luck with the order.

Also i do like the simplicity of the Mason as well.

Last edited by misterpoole; 05-08-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: