Force follow vs. long draw

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you mean the cue ball hitting farther away from the corner pocket on the short rail
thats speed dependent as a variable as the harder you hit it
the cue ball will travel down the tangent line farther before the follow kicks in
so its a balance of how much follow and force

I get the "high action" or good topspin, whatever it is called. Mostly I miss making the object ball. This doesn't happen with power draw since the cue ball comes back away from the pocket.

It is like my conscious mind picks the aim spot but my sub conscious is afraid of the scratch so something causes me to over cut. I can do it fine on very short shots and soft to medium shots but as the force increases or the distance is greater I so something in my stroke that adds just enough angle that the object ball touches rail and I miss the shot.

I don't know if it is stroke, aim, or stance (I might be leaning a little without meaning to). But I guess the cure is the same. Progressive drills with increased seed and distance.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...this could be voodoo but i find if i angle my cue upwards a little it helps me get force follow
It's usually impossible to do this (because the butt's usually over a rail that's higher than the miscue limit) - and trying to do it could encourage a wonky stroke.

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's usually impossible to do this (because the butt's usually over a rail that's higher than the miscue limit) - and trying to do it could encourage a wonky stroke.

pj
chgo

i think it helps me get less down angle if you know what i mean

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
i think it helps me get less down angle if you know what i mean
I guess visualizing an "upstroke" can help keep it as level as possible - if it doesn't make you do things like trying to drop your grip hand (or raise your bridge) during the stroke.

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess visualizing an "upstroke" can help keep it as level as possible - if it doesn't make you do things like trying to drop your grip hand (or raise your bridge) during the stroke.

pj
chgo

no it doesnt its my "perception" of the angle
perception
LOL

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
no it doesnt its my "perception" of the angle
perception
LOL
It is good for perception to match reality in this and may other parts of life. The reality is that your stick is almost certainly elevated -- sloped down from your grip hand to your bridge hand.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is good for perception to match reality in this and may other parts of life. The reality is that your stick is almost certainly elevated -- sloped down from your grip hand to your bridge hand.

the 3 cushion players especially talk about types of strokes
regarding tempo among other things
even tho i think you agree the cue ball only knows tip offset
angle direction
and speed
thoughts of different stokes
\conjure various tempos to hit the ball
where perception doesnt have to match reality