Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Is the Break Shot Overrated?
Page 3 of 7 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-26-2020, 12:59 AM

In that Filler/Chohan one pocket match, At Large posted the breaker won only 42% of the time. You could have made a million bucks taking bets on that!

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Old
  (#32)
SpiderWeb
iisgone@yahoo.com
SpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-26-2020, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dogg View Post
Fine, you God damned Ass hole. I'm outta here. **** you and a **** forum that puts up with shit like you.

"You think the break is not important??"
You can't even grasp what I was asking! Read the question again, dummass.

Edit:
It wasn't me who put those asterisks in this post.
Go to you tube and watch some matches. Three to five break and run sometimes. Johnny Archer had 13 runs. Earl had 11. Danny Medina did 9 in reno. It does help the good players.

Old
  (#33)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-26-2020, 02:04 AM

Once you get to the runout level, the break is pretty much 60% of the game. Maybe more. It's tough to overrate it. It's a skill for sure, even though there is some luck to it. Controlling the one and the cueball is pretty tough, especially with making the ball and satisfying the 3 point rule in 9 ball. If you can do that with some consistency, you're not lucky, you're good.

I have a friend who makes 2-3 balls on most of his 10 ball breaks (on our local tables). He practises the break for hours almost every day. Do you think that matters, when I usually make just 1 ball? Yes, it matters. He's playing 7 ball, I'm playing 9 ball. It's like I'm spotting him 1-2 balls.

Last edited by Straightpool_99; 05-26-2020 at 02:16 AM.

Old
  (#34)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpool_99 View Post
Once you get to the runout level, the break is pretty much 60% of the game. Maybe more. It's tough to overrate it. It's a skill for sure, even though there is some luck to it. Controlling the one and the cueball is pretty tough, especially with making the ball and satisfying the 3 point rule in 9 ball. If you can do that with some consistency, you're not lucky, you're good.

I have a friend who makes 2-3 balls on most of his 10 ball breaks (on our local tables). Do you think that matters, when I usually make just 1? Yes, it matters. He's playing 7 ball, I'm playing 9 ball. It's like I'm spotting him 2 balls.
People who aren't good at breaking or running packages prefer to play alternate break in most of the cases I've witnessed.

They know they can't outbreak their opponent so they want equal time on the breaking so that their opponent can't put any "packages" on them.

Then, when it's their turn to break and they happen to make a ball they usually can't get out, but it gives them a chance to play "duck and hide" in the hopes of fouling their opponent to get themselves in a better position to maybe win the game.

The Hustler

Such a man spends all his life playing every day for small stakes. Give him every morning the money that he may gain during the day, on condition that he does not play-you will make him unhappy. It will perhaps be said what he seeks is the amusement of play, not gain. Let him play then for nothing, he will lose interest and be wearied. ***Blaise Pascal***

Old
  (#35)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
05-26-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
People who aren't good at breaking or running packages prefer to play alternate break in most of the cases I've witnessed.

They know they can't outbreak their opponent so they want equal time on the breaking so that their opponent can't put any "packages" on them.

Then, when it's their turn to break and they happen to make a ball they usually can't get out, but it gives them a chance to play "duck and hide" in the hopes of fouling their opponent to get themselves in a better position to maybe win the game.
That 'is' one scenario.

I can recall the day I became a champion. I was breaking like a beast all weekend and knew it was there to stay. I wish atLarge had been there; i bet my b/r was approaching 70+%.

When it came time 'to' play last few matches, I knew I was gonna be tough to slow down and like the rest 'of' the weekend, I served aces on 'almost 'all 'my 'alternat'e break at bats.
" ' " '" " " "" """ '""

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#36)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
05-26-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Fine, you God damned Ass hole. I'm outta here. **** you and a **** forum that puts up with shit like you.

Edit:
Lol
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#37)
RiverCity
AzB Silver Member
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Lol
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
Im just glad he made sure to let us know he would have spelled out his profanity like a man without the language filters pesky interference.

a hard truth
Old
  (#38)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

a hard truth - 05-26-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpool_99 View Post

I have a friend who makes 2-3 balls on most of his 10 ball breaks (on our local tables). He practises the break for hours almost every day. Do you think that matters, when I usually make just 1 ball? Yes, it matters. He's playing 7 ball, I'm playing 9 ball. It's like I'm spotting him 1-2 balls.

Your friend has taught you a hard truth. When playing against a more effective breaker they are starting off ahead of you. Might not matter in a game or a short race, play pool with them for hours and the percentages will often eat you up, even with alternating breaks.

One Pocket is a fine example. The break is huge as all One Pocket players know. If I play a left handed player I will often break from the opposite side of the table than normal for a right handed shooter. Various claims but generally claimed that just under 20% of people are left handed. Means that left handers probably get to play from their favored side of the table about 90% of the time while right handers have to play from the wrong side of the table maybe forty percent of the time, off the top of my head. I try to take the left hander out of his comfort zone.

Hu

Old
  (#39)
David in FL
AzB Silver Member

David in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 06:48 AM

Yíall donít even realize that about 70% of this thread is about me. The dude who actually gets congratulated when he breaks and runs out.

I still prefer to break though, because it has a higher chance of at least asserting some semblance of control over the subsequent shot(s).

But yeah, in the grand scheme of things, itís probably not as important for us hacks as it is for genuinely good players.

Player - Chris Nitti
Breaker - Predator BK Rush
Jumper - Jacoby
Snooker - BCE Grand Master
Carrier - JB Cases - Itís George 1x2

Shooter - Sig P938
Cutter - Pro-Tech Les George SBR

Old
  (#40)
middleofnowhere
Registered
middleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Edit:
I only gave you one answer that "No it was not over rated". Most of us on here go on the assumption that we are talking about players that can play a certain level. The same would be if you are talking about tips, chalk cues and so on. If you can't play a lick nothing matters, if you can't play anyway.

Old
  (#41)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick_PCS View Post
Are you going to act 5-0 on me?!?
Listen there, straight arrow, they invented this thing on the upper right portion of this screen that is called, "SEARCH." That nifty little bar can be used to answer all your "newbie", redundant questions that have been asked since this forum was first started. The dumb questions you need answered that have been asked MANY times before are all in that search button. All you are doing is just trying to be annoying by posting crap just to access some stuff on this forum (the whole 50 posts or more to use pictures and what-not). I get it. As far as you calling me those derogatory names... well, you sure as hell must be an adult with a mentality of a child to call me an "AHOLE POS". I said you are lame as hell, and I stand by my comment, considering how immature you are. You think the break is not important?? How the f**k else are you going to continue running the balls IF YOU CANNOT BREAK THE F**KING RACK?!?! COMMON SENSE, YOU BIG DUMMY!! Even a newbie can tell you how important breaking the rack is. Man dude, I hope you are not another Travis Trotter....
I only view AZ on my phone and the Search function DOES NOT WORK.

if I want to search for something I Google it and add AZ Billiards to the search.

Fun thread though lol

Old
  (#42)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member
KMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maha View Post
against weak players i always tried to give them the break as part of the spot. they rarely got any advantage of it.
if you cant run out then the break is of little use.

Regardless of the ability of the person getting the breaks, they are definitely getting the benefit of a good player NOT breaking. If I can put several racks together off the break...now I canít. Thatís a pretty big advantage for the person Iím giving all the breaks to. Whether that quantity of difference is sufficient to close the gap between two players is a separate issue from what the quantity of difference is. Something to consider.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#43)
orion21
AzB Silver Member
orion21 has a reputation beyond reputeorion21 has a reputation beyond reputeorion21 has a reputation beyond reputeorion21 has a reputation beyond reputeorion21 has a reputation beyond reputeorion21 has a reputation beyond reputeorion21 has a reputation beyond reputeorion21 has a reputation beyond reputeorion21 has a reputation beyond reputeorion21 has a reputation beyond reputeorion21 has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmorrison View Post
Impossible to underrate importance of the break, at any level.
What he said.

Old
  (#44)
Geosnooker
AzB Silver Member
Geosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 10:03 AM

I’m not a pro player and don’t play top pros.

When playing pool in my city it’s 95% American 8 ball. The break is important but meh...people rarely run out in 8 ball. We are playing more Chinese 8 ball lately and a little less important. In Snooker, not a big deal as long as you don’t flub it.

The issue with lots of Discussion stuff is folks act as if we are all playing Efren Reyes. I never play him. I’m playing my friends. Just like when we play Slowpitch or ball hockey And skills aren’t needed to beat the Yankees or the Montreal Canadians.

On this site Everyone claims to be running tables, however they are switching cues every 6 months and seeking magic aiming system number 1000...they can’t even pot a ball at 9 feet into 5” pocket...then need another another 25 video lessons on deflection.

The break at non pro levels is important but not all that important. Even in 9 ball many don’t run out so sinking a ball on the break is a positive but usually it doesn’t matter who sunk the first 5 balls...it’s the last 4 that count. I likely wouldn’t get a chance at the table against .Reyes or CJ Wiley, but I will against 95% of players if I don’t make a ball on the break.

Last edited by Geosnooker; 05-26-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Old
  (#45)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 10:04 AM

You know how you break and play.

The important thing is to know how your opponent breaks and plays.

Then you can determine the importance of the break.

The Hustler

Such a man spends all his life playing every day for small stakes. Give him every morning the money that he may gain during the day, on condition that he does not play-you will make him unhappy. It will perhaps be said what he seeks is the amusement of play, not gain. Let him play then for nothing, he will lose interest and be wearied. ***Blaise Pascal***

Page 3 of 7 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: