Weird Joint
Old
  (#1)
BFC
AzB Silver Member
BFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Weird Joint - 05-26-2020, 05:14 AM

Anyone know anything about this joint pin?

it's on a jo ss cue.
Attached Images

Old
  (#2)
RiverCity
AzB Silver Member
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 05:19 AM

Ive seen those before, and I dont think anyone was able to give a definite answer.

The probable thing is that some one was experimenting on a Joss cue they owned with an oddball joint idea.

Last edited by RiverCity; 05-26-2020 at 05:41 AM.

Old
  (#3)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 06:44 AM

I have an old carom cue - that has the pin in the shaft- the pin is long and slender like that, but it is threaded almost the entire length. The shaft is marked either EASTELO or CASTELO, in script- I assume it is from South America or Spain/Portugal- a real quality darker wood shaft.

I have never seen that joint pin on a cue butt.

Old
  (#4)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 06:51 AM

Can you post a photo of the entire joint end of the butt?

Snowflakes in Hawaii meltdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafongoul View Post
This may sound smug on my part

cordless drill time!
Old
  (#5)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

cordless drill time! - 05-26-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemosconi View Post
I have an old carom cue - that has the pin in the shaft- the pin is long and slender like that, but it is threaded almost the entire length. The shaft is marked either EASTELO or CASTELO, in script- I assume it is from South America or Spain/Portugal- a real quality darker wood shaft.

I have never seen that joint pin on a cue butt.

Is that brass I see around the bottom of the pin? Looks like a shaft with a standard insert that somebody converted to play with. Might seem like a good idea but I can think of no reason fro that long of a pilot. Threaded all or almost all of the way that would be the pin from hell putting it together and taking it apart. I think I would bring a cordless drill with me to spin it on and off!

Hu

Old
  (#6)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
05-26-2020, 06:55 AM

pas it to de lef, mon.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#7)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-26-2020, 07:43 AM

Try the cue maker forum

Old
  (#8)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 11:12 AM

I think that this is someone's cue building project and I think that i understand what that person was trying to achieve here- and it may actually be a good idea. To me, especially if that non threaded portion of the screw fits fairly tightly into the shaft, the cue builder person was experimenting with the idea that if the actual threads were engaged much further up into the shaft than normal- the hit of the cue would feel more like a one piece cue.

This is only my guess; but I can see where perhaps if the actual area where the butt meets the shaft is NOT where the screw is engaged; there could possibly be more of a one piece cue feel to the hit. This is only a guess; all thoughts are welcome; unless we can actually hear from the person who created this joint composition.

Here is a carom cue I own- see the long screw in the shaft end, it has an unthreaded section on the rear end of that screw - similar idea to what we see from the poster- only the reverse- this cue has a great hit!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by mikemosconi; 05-26-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Weird Joint
Old
  (#9)
TWOFORPOOL
AzB Silver Member
TWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond repute

Weird Joint - 05-26-2020, 12:44 PM

I believe that is a joint created by a guy in Vancouver, WA. As I recall his last name is Wheathered and the joint was made around 20 years ago. I met him and his joint design was to make the cue quieter when playing. This joint did in fact make the cue play very quite but you couldn't put it in a standard case.

Playing Cue: Jim Pierce with Danielson SS360/2 Shaft
Break Cue: Sowder
Jump Cue: Sowder
Case: Rusty JB Case
Playing Time: 5 Hours Week

Originally posted by Richardson:

Magic rack + 9 ball + pattern racking is not a game, its a drill.

Old
  (#10)
BFC
AzB Silver Member
BFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond reputeBFC has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 12:50 PM

Are you replying about the joint in my original question, or the "CASTELO" cue?

Old
  (#11)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member

05-26-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFC View Post
I am sure he is talking about the original joint that you posted- my Castelo carom cue was NOT made here in the U.S.- so it appears that you now have your puzzle solved!

Now for my carom cue- does anyone here know who made the carom cues with the name Castelo or Eastelo engraved in the shaft? Thanks

Old
  (#12)
Buzzard II
AzB Silver Member
Buzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 03:27 PM

Since that pin is not original to Joss, could it be that the shaft developed a hairline crack at the joint? Then the long shaft insert was glued in to save the shaft? The photo is to blurry to see the grain.

Old
  (#13)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member

05-26-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
Since that pin is not original to Joss, could it be that the shaft developed a hairline crack at the joint? Then the long shaft insert was glued in to save the shaft? The photo is to blurry to see the grain.
Look again! On the Joss- the pin is inserted in the butt- NOT the shaft.

Old
  (#14)
TWOFORPOOL
AzB Silver Member
TWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFC View Post
Your original question on your post. Wethered is the name of the cuemaker that made that joint. Wethered made his own line of cues. Greg Sowder (Sowder Custom Cues - Vancouver, WA) confirmed this with me although he didn't see the picture on AZB. Its a unique joint with an aluminum pin and a Teflon insert on the shaft. Wethered actally changed out cues like the Joss you pictured because he convinced many players in the area it was a better joint. Again it really made the joint solid and quite.

Playing Cue: Jim Pierce with Danielson SS360/2 Shaft
Break Cue: Sowder
Jump Cue: Sowder
Case: Rusty JB Case
Playing Time: 5 Hours Week

Originally posted by Richardson:

Magic rack + 9 ball + pattern racking is not a game, its a drill.

Old
  (#15)
kgoods
Registered
kgoods has a reputation beyond reputekgoods has a reputation beyond reputekgoods has a reputation beyond reputekgoods has a reputation beyond reputekgoods has a reputation beyond reputekgoods has a reputation beyond reputekgoods has a reputation beyond reputekgoods has a reputation beyond reputekgoods has a reputation beyond reputekgoods has a reputation beyond reputekgoods has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORPOOL View Post
Your original question on your post. Wethered is the name of the cuemaker that made that joint. Wethered made his own line of cues. Greg Sowder (Sowder Custom Cues - Vancouver, WA) confirmed this with me although he didn't see the picture on AZB. Its a unique joint with an aluminum pin and a Teflon insert on the shaft. Wethered actally changed out cues like the Joss you pictured because he convinced many players in the area it was a better joint. Again it really made the joint solid and quite.
Bingo! Got one of these in for some repairs/tips a while back. Unfortunately I didn't get any after pictures but I had to take a few right when I got it in as I'd never seen anything like it. This one is a conversion. What really surprised me was the screw-on aluminum ferrules onto a brass stud. It did hit surprisingly well considering the unconventional build. Here's some picts....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: