Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Cue and shaft reviews
Reload this Page The BIG Mezz shaft thread!
Page 14 of 14 « First 4121314

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#196)
HueblerHustler7
JackHammer
HueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-20-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmo H. View Post
Here is a link to the same review for those not on Facebook

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=477819

I might add that I have since purchased an ACE180 Mezz that came with the WX alpha shaft and I like it even more after taking the taper back a little and putting on a tip that I like. It is a great shaft, I like it a lot.
Just got mine today and I absolutely love it paired with my Guerra cue, modified 3/8X10 threads go right on the wavy nice and snug. I think I may bring back the taper a bit on the back side as well, defiantly a monster but not sure yet as I am quite comfortable with it so far. 12.8mm is great and I have played with plenty of other shafts from 13 down to 11.85 with plenty of time into all of them to see what they have to offer.

I love the WX-A it's stiffness, action and ping when contacting the cue ball is definitely my cup of tea, it moves the cue ball with ease. Nothing like great quality wood shaft with low deflection properties, Mezz has done it again!

'To err is human; to forgive, divine.'
Alexander Pope 1688-1744

PLAYER:
2020 Predator BLAK 4-1
12.4 REVO

Back up:
2020 Guerra, Braz/thyua Jane
12.4 REVO

Retired/sold:
2012 Guerra
2016 Hills Cue x2
2012 Sugartree
2013 Deviney sneaky
2012 Jon Spitz
2010 Jon Spitz
90's Huebler

Some production cues Mezz sneaky and axi, predator sp2 revo.

BREAK
Darren Hill J/B
Modified Cynergy shaft.

Old
  (#197)
HueblerHustler7
JackHammer
HueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond reputeHueblerHustler7 has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2019, 05:54 PM

UPDATE:

Brought the taper back a bit and took some meat off of it further back and it plays real well not loosing any stiffness but baking it more comfortable for me. Also now that the kamui tip is broken in and reshaped it plays pretty sporty but I think my next tip I will install would be a Zan medium. I would highly recommend this shaft to anyone who enjoys shafts closer to a 13mm.

'To err is human; to forgive, divine.'
Alexander Pope 1688-1744

PLAYER:
2020 Predator BLAK 4-1
12.4 REVO

Back up:
2020 Guerra, Braz/thyua Jane
12.4 REVO

Retired/sold:
2012 Guerra
2016 Hills Cue x2
2012 Sugartree
2013 Deviney sneaky
2012 Jon Spitz
2010 Jon Spitz
90's Huebler

Some production cues Mezz sneaky and axi, predator sp2 revo.

BREAK
Darren Hill J/B
Modified Cynergy shaft.

Old
  (#198)
RDeca
AzB Silver Member
RDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond repute

05-07-2020, 12:08 PM

I just got a mezz axi. Two Months ago with wx900 12mm shaft. Been playing everyday with it. So I have an opinion on it.
I also just a few days ago picked up an Ex-pro shaft 12.5mm wavy and a Alpha hybrid 12.8mm with a 5-16 pin for jacoby joss schon
I wish I could find my calipers so I could measure the tapers every three inches on these three shafts I'm kinda curious. But anyways I'll be giving a review of the three soon. I will say mezz uses great shaft wood.

Old
  (#199)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

05-07-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDeca View Post
I just got a mezz axi. Two Months ago with wx900 12mm shaft. Been playing everyday with it. So I have an opinion on it.
I also just a few days ago picked up an Ex-pro shaft 12.5mm wavy and a Alpha hybrid 12.8mm with a 5-16 pin for jacoby joss schon
I wish I could find my calipers so I could measure the tapers every three inches on these three shafts I'm kinda curious. But anyways I'll be giving a review of the three soon. I will say mezz uses great shaft wood.
Every Mezz I have seen had great shaft wood.

The Hustler

Such a man spends all his life playing every day for small stakes. Give him every morning the money that he may gain during the day, on condition that he does not play-you will make him unhappy. It will perhaps be said what he seeks is the amusement of play, not gain. Let him play then for nothing, he will lose interest and be wearied. ***Blaise Pascal***

Old
  (#200)
RDeca
AzB Silver Member
RDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2020, 12:51 PM

Just an fyi...fact the United joint insert shaft does not fit a standard 5/16-14 butt pin(schon jOSS jacoby ect...). It starts fine but tightens up halfway down and will not turn.
A 5/16-14 shaft does fit the United pin butt. What's the deal with the United but pin?

Old
  (#201)
RDeca
AzB Silver Member

05-29-2020, 02:59 PM

It's like the thread count is the same between the two but the threads are Fatter on the 5/16-14 pin

Old
  (#202)
RDeca
AzB Silver Member

06-13-2020, 06:56 AM

Ok guys here's a review

I shot with high deflecting shafts for 30 yrs

i have a mezz Axi wavy joint with an Ex pro shaft....and a wx900. And I have a mezz Ec7 with a wx700 and alpha hybrid.

The axi rosewood butt weighs 15 oz

EX-PRO shaft weighs 3.8 oz
The shaft feels great. Its very comfortable and balances well. It haz Zan medium tip. Wich I like...I file mine down with a bastard file a few mm I don't like new tall tips at all. The hit is solid with a pleasing pop sound on contact with ball. I don't notice anything spactacular about draw or english. Very neutral playing. Long straight shots are no problem. Deflection is low. I'm not going to give a measurement but....I can play regular shots in a game with extreme side and not worry about cueball contact. Aim seems natural.

my opinion is this shaft is not worth 420 dollars that mezz usa is charging. The fit and finish is perfect. The grain is tight. But its just not worth the high price. Idk if the construction prevents warp over the non carbon core shafting? maybe it does. But I do not notice the carbon core. When I pick it up it seems like a regular shaft. I'd say the taper is a medium stiff taper. I love it. Just not the price

Wx-900. This is my favorite shaft if I'm on my game. Idk what it weighs. It has soft kamui I had to trim mushroom and file down several times..it's broke in now. This shaft plays great. Sound of hit is almost same as expro shaft. Wood Grain is tight but Has slight runout no big deal. I get more spin and my finess game is on point with this shaft. It took time to get used to skinny 12mm but it's not that bad. This shaft is less forgiving of sloppy stroke. I got more of a nickel radius on the tip because of it.

Idk what people are talking about when they say the conical taper effects there closed bridge. It doesn't. Honestly I don't even notice it. I'm used to conical and stiff tapered shafting tho. Again this is my favorite shaft and it's also the lowest deflection shaft.

Old
  (#203)
RDeca
AzB Silver Member

06-13-2020, 08:04 AM

Now for the ec7 with united joint. The butt weight is 14.3 shipped with no weight bolt. It is more forward weight than the axi Wich I'm used to. (Played steel joint cues for 30 yrs).

WX700 weighs 4.2 oz This shaft has the loosest grain. and a small light sugar mark in the maple. It has kamui soft. Hit is good. Nice pop to the sound. Taper is comfortable. It probably has a longer pro taper than the expro. I don't really notice much difference between it and the Ex-pro tho To be honest. I think I like the Zan tip on the pro shaft better. Deflection is low. Slightly higher deflection than the ex pro .The ferrule is longon this shaft. Plays good and for the money I'd take this shaft over the expro.

ALPHA HYRID. I do not have weight of this shaft. It is threaded for a 5/16-14....it fits united joint butt perfect. Just not as tight or hard to screw on the last few turns. Fits jacoby joss and schon perfect. Little bit of overhang on one of my schon butts. Nothing worth complaining about. It fits the mezz butt dead on like a one peice cue.
The grain is super tight and strait. Litterally a perfect piece of wood. Out of the box I thought this was going to be my favorite but it wasnt. Took me a while to like it. And for the first couple days I did not like it very much. Because I was playing with the wx900 for two months. But my opinion changed over time. This is my second favorite shaft. Probably because I alway played with 12.75 standard wood shafts. And it's comfortable and forgiving. And has LD PROPERTIES to go with it. Its a stiff solid shaft.

Between the 4 shafts they all play great. Just a little different from eachother. I'm most disappointed in the expro mainly just because of the high price. It is super solid tho. And plays really consistant. All the shafts are dead straight. And fit the mezz butts perfect. There are things that I like about each shaft a little better than the others. But honestly they all hit and play about the same with the exception of the wx900. Wich performs best but isn't forgiving at all. The WX700 is a good medium and starting point for the mezz line of shafts. U won't be disappointed if this is the shaft your cue comes with. No need to upgrade To more expensive shaft.

My favorite combo as far as feel and balance is the axi rosewood with the ex-pro. The cue is 18.8 it's a very neutral cue. The axi with the wx 900 feels slightly rear heavy, Or lighter in front.

Fit and finish on mezz is great for price guys. Don't hesitate if your on the fence about buying. I bought from mezz usa no problems

Last edited by RDeca; 06-13-2020 at 08:06 AM.

Old
  (#204)
RDeca
AzB Silver Member

06-15-2020, 01:51 PM

Name:  20200527_155129.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  213.8 KB

Attachment 550661

Page 14 of 14 « First 4121314

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: