Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Your playing cue vs playing off the wall?
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-30-2020, 01:02 PM

I would be comfortable giving my house cue self
the 7.

Old
  (#17)
9ball5032
AzB Silver Member
9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2020, 01:09 PM

Keep reminding myself to keep it simple. Use centerball and speed to get position, and lay off the english on longer shots since I am used to LD shafts.

Old
  (#18)
megatron69
AzB Silver Member
megatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter08 View Post
If you match up but don’t have your cue but have a good tip and straight one piece off the wall what do you need to feel even, all things being equal?
Nowadays, about 3-4 racks.

For most of my money game days, around 30 years ago, mostly only marks brought their own cues to gamble. Bringing your own cue was like wearing a big sign that said, "hey look, I have money I want to give away, and here's the stick to prove it!"

Sharps played with house cues. I used to let my marks pick the cue I had to shoot with.

Nowadays, marks seem to like to wear gloves.

Last edited by megatron69; 05-30-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Old
  (#19)
Gunn_Slinger
AzB Silver Member
Gunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 68

05-30-2020, 02:48 PM

A lot of players I see using very long cues plus ld shafts would have
many problems using a 57 in/58 in house cue. I have let players use my
73' JOSS cue and they usually miss many shots.
Good luck

Old
  (#20)
strmanglr scott
All about Focus
strmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
Long long ago when on the road you never drug out a hinged cue to start with. You might consider it if the other guy had one and the stakes were high. I played off the wall for ten years, never toted my own cue to play with. Didn't seem to matter once you got used to playing off the wall. A little scotchbrite or sandpaper, a brad tool, and you could make most splinter factories play OK.

I have a 3x5 case since I often left the hall with more cues than I came with. Sometimes I deliberately leave it home and just stick the sandpaper and brad tool in the watch pocket of my jeans. There is a lightness and freedom stepping into a pool hall like that which just isn't found toting three butts, five shafts, enough tools to repair a passenger jet, various slip and slides, maybe a few aiming gadgets and stroke trainers. I was considering wheels, a battery, and an electric motor for my cue case when it struck me it might be time to lighten up a bit. I still think the power wagon to put your big case on could be a money maker the same for a golf bag toter.

Hu

Problem is today, the cues on the wall are literally the same ones you played with back then.

The rail is your best friend.

Might be where I choose to play
Old
  (#21)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Might be where I choose to play - 05-31-2020, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
Problem is today, the cues on the wall are literally the same ones you played with back then.

Buffalo sent a gross of cues to my shop in one batch. Most got new quality ferrules, all got new decent tips, most Triangle, a few Le Pro and Elkmasters just for variety. The shaft area of all got cleaned and buffed. Some pretty nice playing cues while they lasted.

Reminds me, that is probably the biggest change using one piece house cues, those soft plastic ferrules make a big difference in play. Of course the slipover tips so common on cues in bars are an acquired taste too.

I won many a cue during my gambling years, some never figured they were busted until they lost their cue. Never toted any because it marked me as a bit more serious than a bar room banger and also as a bit of a dude player. Only rarely was someone toting a stick a real monster. Dozens of people that thought they were good for every good player. Some of them were decent quality sticks. Looking back on the seventies and early eighties I wonder sometimes what some of the sticks were that I gave away.

Different times now and with the leagues a lot of amateurs own their own cue. Doesn't mean the same thing. Although I did get a chuckle out of a youngster I played. He had every patch and decal known to man on his case! He proudly told me he was a member of half the alphabet. Briefly considered it might be a hustle but when things got serious he didn't have anything.

Hu

Old
  (#22)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

05-31-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
If you match up but donít have your cue but have a good tip and straight one piece off the wall what do you need to feel even, all things being equal?
I need a ton of weight in that circumstance. I'm sure the opponent would understand. It's possible I could get lucky and win but doesn't mean I didn't need the weight.

Old
  (#23)
middleofnowhere
Registered
middleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond repute

05-31-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron69 View Post
Nowadays, about 3-4 racks.

For most of my money game days, around 30 years ago, mostly only marks brought their own cues to gamble. Bringing your own cue was like wearing a big sign that said, "hey look, I have money I want to give away, and here's the stick to prove it!"

Sharps played with house cues. I used to let my marks pick the cue I had to shoot with.

Nowadays, marks seem to like to wear gloves.
You are right in one respect, coming in with a cue may get you some action. That is exactly what I wanted. I at one time for a few years carried a $40.00 Palmer. It played great but was not a Balabushka ( that I did have, still do) but a cue that said I can play a little and may bet something. Usually only took a few minutes to be asked to play.

Really made it easier then standing around asking if anybody wanted to play. If you blankly ask to play they will get on the phone and call the local champ. Not that I cared but I wanted to work my way through their players for a day or two. In most cases off the bat you got asked to play by local would be hustlers cheap who were average at best. Actually a cheap bet in their minds classified your skill as say a $2.00 player. Once you had your foot in the door the rest was easy.

Getting back to the house cue thing. I owned a pool room back in those days and yes many very good players did not have a custom two piece cues. However their house cues were not random. Almost every pool room had a locking case/cases that held maybe a few dozen cues. http://www.bargainjohn.com/wp-conten...94-Catalog.jpg
Local players had their own cues that were well taken care of. They had good tips and the players would retaper the shaft end to their liking. Maybe tape the butt or scuff it up for a better feel. So when older players talk about playing with house cues they are not talking about the average bar cue with a slip on tip.

Old
  (#24)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
05-31-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldnthinkof01 View Post
I would be comfortable giving my house cue self
the 7.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#25)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
05-31-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
I need a ton of weight in that circumstance. I'm sure the opponent would understand. It's possible I could get lucky and win but doesn't mean I didn't need the weight.
I've certainly to people they have to play off the wall or find a decent cue for me to borrow.

Not too many people go for that.

I'm not even gonna stand up.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#26)
Brookeland Bill
AzB Silver Member
Brookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
If you match up but donít have your cue but have a good tip and straight one piece off the wall what do you need to feel even, all things being equal?

The tip is much more important than a perfectly straight cue stick.

Mezz
Olivier Sneaky Pete
Olivier Custom
Espirito
Jackson

Old
  (#27)
9andout
Gunnin' for a 2 pack!!
9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
I did start carrying chalk too. Usually just left it in the truck but I went into some places that didn't even have chalk! I have to admit my expectations are much higher today, and usually met.

After I got married I still kept chalk in my truck. Sometimes when I would disappear for a few hours in the days before cell phones I would carefully take the top of the chalk and make a few marks on my shirt just over waist high like I had leaned over a piece of chalk on a rail.

"Where the hell have you been?!?

"Girl, I can't lie to you. I have been making mad passionate love to a beautiful blond for hours!"

"Like hell, I see the chalk on your shirt. You have been down at the pool hall with those bums!"

"Can't fool you girl."

Hu
Hahahahaha!

In training for the "Senior Division" By then I might actually be decent! Still love Earl!!
Lover of shot clocks!

Old
  (#28)
OneArmBandit
Registered
OneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ball5032 View Post
Keep reminding myself to keep it simple. Use centerball and speed to get position, and lay off the english on longer shots since I am used to LD shafts.
Yes, this is one of my issues, even the difference between LD shafts. Imagine a ball 7 inches from the corner up the long rail and and 1 1/2-2" off the rail. You have the cue 1/2 between the center pocket and the center of the table. It's world of difference in how to hit the ball to rail draw it up past the side pocket between a LD and a standard shaft. You could draw the ball into the opposite corner or into the side pocket depending on the cue with pretty much the same hit. It's also easy to hit balls into walls without hitting balls for a while with a cue, if switching shafts.

I always tell beginning and moderate players who are trying to improve to QUIT SWITCHING CUES!!! Play with the same cue every day.

Old
  (#29)
CESSNA10
AzB Gold Member
CESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maha View Post
five minutes of practice with it.
I doubt there is any 1 piece house cue that is straight

Old
  (#30)
CESSNA10
AzB Gold Member
CESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookeland Bill View Post
The tip is much more important than a perfectly straight cue stick.
You are wrong, imparting spin unintentionally is a disaster

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: