Field Goal Drill

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I worked on this drill for about an hour today. The idea is to shoot the CB through the two object balls using all three types of strokes. Follow, Stun, and Draw. Draw was my worst, of course, but I think I benefited from doing this drill.

Of course, you can make this drill easy by leaving about a half inch to spare between the two object balls. But that wouldn't help much. Today I was leaving anywhere from around 1/16 of an inch to maybe 1/8 of an inch at the most.

Just wondering what our instructors, or other fine players, might think of this Field Goal drill?

r/DCP

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/40ff5.png

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I worked on this drill for about an hour today. The idea is to shoot the CB through the two object balls using all three types of strokes. Follow, Stun, and Draw. Draw was my worst, of course, but I think I benefited from doing this drill.
Of course, you can make this drill easy by leaving about a half inch to spare between the two object balls. But that wouldn't help much. Today I was leaving anywhere from around 1/16 of an inch to maybe 1/8 of an inch at the most.
Just wondering what our instructors, or other fine players, might think of this Field Goal drill?
r/DCP
What will this drill accomplish?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Draw was my worst, of course, but I think I benefited from doing this drill.

i am not an instructor or high level player
but
this drill is an alignment and stroke/ aiming drill
why would you do worse with draw??
i dont understand that

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

but
i dont understand that

For one, you have to hit the ball harder for a good draw stroke and that introduces errors. Yes, I know you don't "have to" hit the ball hard for draw, but at any real distance you really have to hit the ball harder than an equal kind of shot with follow.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

but
i dont understand that

I've always struggled with medium/long straight-in draw shots. I assume because my stroke gets offline due to having to hit them with a little more force, or a little more "oomph" to get the draw.

Anyway, after doing this for awhile I seemed to improve on a handful of long straight-in draw shots. I might need to keep doing this drill.

r/DCP

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks for the response
good to know its helping you

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

r/DCP

I like it, I’d like it even more with a ball in there long pitting and following to scratch sum dat how you call... draw as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
For one, you have to hit the ball harder for a good draw stroke and that introduces errors. Yes, I know you don't "have to" hit the ball hard for draw, but at any real distance you really have to hit the ball harder than an equal kind of shot with follow.

Not really just a lot more accurately imop. Momentum and accuracy are great magnifiers

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes corner to corner it’s also a great all gnment drill/check

As soon as I get back from the bank and the grocery I am going to practice this drill some more.

Diamond Factory Tour is next Tuesday, 9/11.

r/DCP

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to know a player who practiced drills every day and became an expert at doing drills but whose game didn't improve at all. Many players will revert back to their old selves once a game starts, especially with stroke drills. It takes guts to apply what you learned in a drill in a real game, especially when there's something at stake.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to know a player who practiced drills every day and became an expert at doing drills but whose game didn't improve at all. Many players will revert back to their old selves once a game starts, especially with stroke drills. It takes guts to apply what you learned in a drill in a real game, especially when there's something at stake.
fran
i do not want to sidetrack this thread
but i know you do not like discussions via pm
so
for a newbee
first you have to get a fundamentally straight reliable stroke
then you need to learn to pocket the ball and put the cue ball at a certain place
after you have reasonable ability to have a reliable stroke
the drills that force you to pocket the ball there and get the cue ball here
teach you how to do that
so if you cant do it in practice you wont do it in a match
if you can get the cue ball from here to there on a certain shot
in practice
THEN the next step is BELIEVING YOU you can do it when the pressure is on
that you learn by competeing and geting used to the pressure
jmho
i am not an instructor
your opinion is appreciated

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to know a player who practiced drills every day and became an expert at doing drills but whose game didn't improve at all.

Perhaps, then, this is the reason why I just cant seem to get over the hump? I still continue to hose up easy to medium difficult shots when I am at my table. This cost me a great deal when I played in the tournament at Evansville.

r/DCP

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to add that I just read the most recent edition of Billiards Digest. And this exact drill was listed in it. Appeared to be something from Mark Wilson.

How about that?

r/DCP

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fran
i do not want to sidetrack this thread
but i know you do not like discussions via pm
so
for a newbee
first you have to get a fundamentally straight reliable stroke
then you need to learn to pocket the ball and put the cue ball at a certain place
after you have reasonable ability to have a reliable stroke
the drills that force you to pocket the ball there and get the cue ball here
teach you how to do that
so if you cant do it in practice you wont do it in a match
if you can get the cue ball from here to there on a certain shot
in practice
THEN the next step is BELIEVING YOU you can do it when the pressure is on
that you learn by competeing and geting used to the pressure
jmho
i am not an instructor
your opinion is appreciated

I think what you wrote here is pretty good --- in theory.

But here's my opinion --- and I'm pretty positive about this ---- The believing in yourself part --- the sooner you get that, the better --- and boy are you lucky if you've got it before you hit your first pool ball -- ever.

That's the secret to success ---- The sooner you can get that belief in yourself going, the quicker you will improve.

Once you believe in yourself, you can stay objective about the learning process. Confident players aren't afraid to fail. In fact, they fail often, but it doesn't debilitate them in the way that it does to a player who lacks confidence.

Of course you'll get more confidence as you become a better player, but that's not what I'm referring to. It's a level of confidence in yourself as a person, regardless of what challenges you undertake.

So if you don't have it to begin with, can you get it? Yes, but it's hard because you will have to deal with your insecurities in your personality and solve whatever is causing them.

I'm sure you've seen players who you thought were just naturally great. A big part of what you're looking at is confidence from day-1.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps, then, this is the reason why I just cant seem to get over the hump? I still continue to hose up easy to medium difficult shots when I am at my table. This cost me a great deal when I played in the tournament at Evansville.

r/DCP

If you were executing those shots successfully in practice and then missing them in competition, then I would say that your response is fear-based. If you want to break that pattern, you're going to have to take conscious control temporarily and make yourself shoot the shots in competition with the same feel you had when you made them in practice. That's where belief in yourself comes into play. If you don't trust yourself, you'll never be able to attempt it. When you believe in yourself, you can accept your misses more objectively and quickly analyze what happened and fix it in your head for next time.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were executing those shots successfully in practice and then missing them in competition, then I would say that your response is fear-based.

Fear based?

Translated, does that mean I am afraid I am going to miss? Like this diagram below? I had this layout tonight and wanted to hit the CB low off the 2B and bring it off the rail and back out for the 5B into the side pocket where the plain white CB is. But I overcut the 2B and hit it where the other 2B is at, along the rail.

I just layed my cue down on the table, turned the light out, and quit for the day.

When I saw this layout after the break I realized it was fairly simple and then I told myself "Try not to hose this up to". And, of course, I never got past the first shot. This type of stuff plagues me. I cant get over it.

r/DCP

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/d2961.png

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fear based?

Translated, does that mean I am afraid I am going to miss? Like this diagram below? I had this layout tonight and wanted to hit the CB low off the 2B and bring it off the rail and back out for the 5B into the side pocket where the plain white CB is. But I overcut the 2B and hit it where the other 2B is at, along the rail.

I just layed my cue down on the table, turned the light out, and quit for the day.

When I saw this layout after the break I realized it was fairly simple and then I told myself "Try not to hose this up to". And, of course, I never got past the first shot. This type of stuff plagues me. I cant get over it.

r/DCP

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/d2961.png

Fear comes in many forms. Indirectly, yes, it's about missing, but I think you're afraid to leave your comfort zone when you're in a real game situation. BTW, you're not alone. It's a common issue.