why everyone should learn one pocket

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have come to the conclusion that the game I hated is the one I love and I did myself a disservice not learning it till my mid 50s ,

The game has so many aspects to it that carry over to other games that will improve your play , banking for shape or leave , kicking for safe , holding the cue ball for shape,safe freezing on a ball or in a cluster , stroke speed

It is also easier to match up working a game with a better player to gives you a chance to win but also a chance to learn since its not a break n run contest you will get chances to play
Its a game of imagination its rewarding to see a shot a bank shot a carom off a ball or nipping a ball and going around the table to a safe

The game reminds me of golf once you hit some good shots you see the beauty of the game
We have some players in here that have gotten hooked on 1-pocket after having only played 8-ball and 9-ball for their entire pool careers, and they absolutely love it. I have not seen those players do any better in our 9-ball tournaments they play in, as a result of their 1-pocket play.

My problem with 1-pocket as a 61 year old who has played mainly straight pool and 9-ball for 45 years, is that I only have about 10 hours a week to play pool, due to a busy schedule, as well as shoulder issues that prevent me from playing more. I just don't feel if I spend a majority of that 10 hours playing 1-pocket, which I would need to do for at least a few years to get decent at it, that I'd have any chance of keeping my 9-ball game up as best as I possibly can.

Michael S

Registered
I've always thought One Pocket is the game that tests ALL of your skills. 1P forces you to really think what to do and what your opponent may do. Very analogous to chess! You think of a "move" and try to determine how your opponent would respond.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone should learn to play one pocket... Because we need some new fish in the one hole pool. If there's a bunch of yall that wanna learn the game there's gonna be plenty of us that already play it and I'm sure many will be willing to give " lessons " lol. Its really not all that hard like some male it out to be, you need only 3 things. Money, time and your cue. Worst case scenario, we can make it happen with only one of those 😊

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can give a few reasons not to learn 1p. It ruins relationships and marriages. My wife asked if I Love 1p more than her. I choked and took the 5th.
By learning and playing you will not want to do other things. It ruins your house. I’d rather play 1 than do house repairs. Ruins the lawn. Cut the grass or play 1p... tough choice.

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played 9 ball for years and swore I would never play onepocket. Now it’s my favorite game by a long way. I agree it combines all other games. Even 3c with touch and cue ball control. Funny thing is a game can look soo differently depending on if the person watching knows the game. To me there’s absolute tension during a 1p battle but the guy next to me may think it’s like watching paint dry. I’m just glad I know better :).

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark...You should do yourself a favor and take a one pocket lesson from Bossman69 (Lance Cowles). Lance is a great player, and even better one pocket instructor! He has a way of demonstrating the subtle nuances of one pocket that few possess, plus excellent communication skills. He'll be with me at the DCC, and then again at the SBE. You could likely catch a couple hours with him there. I guarantee you'll love it...or I'll pay for the lesson! LOL

Same goes for you Frank. I know you love working with Tom, who is great.Can't hurt to get perhaps a little different perspective from a newer set of eyes! Lance is the real deal. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I just might do that Scott , one drill of yours the speed control ,works well for one pocket .even when I cant play much I spend some time on it at home with also trying for no elbow drop , it , those 2 things keep me competitive even after a long layoff

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone should learn to play one pocket... Because we need some new fish in the one hole pool. If there's a bunch of yall that wanna learn the game there's gonna be plenty of us that already play it and I'm sure many will be willing to give " lessons " lol. Its really not all that hard like some male it out to be, you need only 3 things. Money, time and your cue. Worst case scenario, we can make it happen with only one of those 😊

I had no problem being Reggie's fish for the better part of a yr for 5 a game playing even ,,Tom Tom said it was me that I was stealing all in all I lost 3-4 hundred over that time god knows how many hours we played it was worth every red cent , in fact I just called him to see how he is doing , he is a top hat looking to give someone a hair cut

The fact is I couldn't have learned what I have in several hours of lessons
and playing with lower level players even though I can hang with or beat really doesn't teach you a whole lot cause the penalty of missing is rarely loss of game

Playing with a guy like Reggie where the cost is cheap and its rare most with his ability isn't getting off the chair for 5 so yep I'm a fish and what I learned being that is pricless

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had no problem being Reggie's fish for the better part of a yr for 5 a game playing even ,,Tom Tom said it was me that I was stealing all in all I lost 3-4 hundred over that time god knows how many hours we played it was worth every red cent , in fact I just called him to see how he is doing , he is a top hat looking to give someone a hair cut

The fact is I couldn't have learned what I have in several hours of lessons
and playing with lower level players even though I can hang with or beat really doesn't teach you a whole lot cause the penalty of missing is rarely loss of game

Playing with a guy like Reggie where the cost is cheap and its rare most with his ability isn't getting off the chair for 5 so yep I'm a fish and what I learned being that is pricless

Yup for sure. Reggie is up there in age now but still shoots pretty sporty. Domt know about now but most of the time I knew Reggie he wasn't getting out of the chair for less than a hundred or two a game so yah of say you got yourself a good deal. I was only Half joking in my comment but you hit it on the head. Those that do want to learn the game NEED to get up and play it - imo the only real way of learning it. As to the 1 of 3 lol, I meant you can get lessons as long as you brought money lol.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has always been very cool to me...but I am pretty sure he would rather bust me rhan have a chat.
Yup for sure. Reggie is up there in age now but still shoots pretty sporty. Domt know about now but most of the time I knew Reggie he wasn't getting out of the chair for less than a hundred or two a game so yah of say you got yourself a good deal. I was only Half joking in my comment but you hit it on the head. Those that do want to learn the game NEED to get up and play it - imo the only real way of learning it. As to the 1 of 3 lol, I meant you can get lessons as long as you brought money lol.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know what you meant , He pretty much looks for cheaper games he can get as he says customers but if he's feeling good he will take on a bigger game
I hope I'm still kickin at his age never mind still playing pool

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has always been very cool to me...but I am pretty sure he would rather bust me rhan have a chat.

No.doubt lol!

I know what you meant , He pretty much looks for cheaper games he can get as he says customers but if he's feeling good he will take on a bigger game
I hope I'm still kickin at his age never mind still playing pool

He and I had lunch several months ago and he didn't look like he was feeling too good that day. I do know though he's still pretty much on the grind as much.as.possible. Like I said, he may not play like he used to do to age but he still plays pretty damn sporty imo. You know Bo's out pretty much everyday until very recently ' giving cheap lessons ". He has to be in his 70's now too - still playing sporty.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am coming up there to give both of them a dose.

As soon as I find my stroke.:eek:

No.doubt lol!

He and I had lunch several months ago and he didn't look like he was feeling too good that day. I do know though he's still pretty much on the grind as much.as.possible. Like I said, he may not play like he used to do to age but he still plays pretty damn sporty imo. You know Bo's out pretty much everyday until very recently ' giving cheap lessons ". He has to be in his 70's now too - still playing sporty.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am coming up there to give both of them a dose.

As soon as I find my stroke.:eek:

Awesome ! Gimme a call and lmk when. Might I suggest making sure they have a backer already lined up as I know Bo has been looking for $10-20 games and now I hear Reggie is playing $5??? Lol. I think we can fairly well deduce the probable situation on the whole.

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Please say HI to both Reggie and Bo for me. I love them both and I would trust either one of them with my life and you could too.

Tom