like the post says"
I have seen the wrap pressed nice-looks smooth-almost like LEATHER-
HOW IS THAT ACCOMPLISHED?????
THank you !

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black linen

Make sure everything is very clean so you don't press residual glue or anything else. Black is not very forgiving.

Mario

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Here is the secret ... a tight wrap with no gaps, some Shaft Sealer, and 600 grit sand paper ... need I say more?

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

I struggled with making black and white wraps look perfect for years.

There is no optical illusion with black or white. You see every blemish in the finish of the linen. After you got the skill to wrap and press the linen to a masters level, you still have to make the finish look uniform without any blemishes.

After pressing with a 1 1/2 inch wide 1/4" flat oak board, at 1200 rpm, I wet sand from 400 up to 2000 grit paper in 4 steps then clean with water and magic eraser. I stopped using my rollar press 15 years ago. Not knocking rollar presses, I just like a wider surface area which I feel gives a very even profile.

When the finish is clean and dry, I use liquid black shoe polish. After complete drying burnish at 1500 rpm with an index card. Then seal with renasance and burnish again.

This leaves a perfect uniform surface finish for my money. Takes some time but the results make it worthwile.

I am sure there are other ways to skin this cat but this is my way.

JMO,

Rick

Last edited: