Tad
Balabushka,Szamboti,Tad
I always thought in that order when I was younger

something special here

heinosuke1

Registered
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I mean no disrespect, but how good of an investment can it be if you’re not able to monetize it within a reasonable timeframe at an ideal return?

“Good investments” are typically liquid assets that provide a high ROI with better-than-median risk levels.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I mean no disrespect, but how good of an investment can it be if you’re not able to monetize it within a reasonable timeframe at an ideal return?

“Good investments” are typically liquid assets that provide a high ROI with better-than-median risk levels.
I beg to differ. A long term investment can still be a good one. Land can be good, but not always liquid.

A good investment is one that will achieve your goals and stay within your risk tolerance.

heinosuke1

Registered
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
For land to be illiquid yet a good investment, it needs to generate cash flow.

You’re conflating incomparable asset classes. A pool cue that isn’t easily monetizable could only be considered a good investment in such a scenario as you describe if it could deliver cash flow to its owner. How would that be achievable? By renting it out?

Also, let’s not ignore the fact that the cue market peaked long ago...which would partially explain why a physical asset on the secondary market, such as a cue, that could be considered a reasonable substitute for one on the primary market, doesn’t command 5/8 the price (going based on the comment above about this cue costing $8k if it were made today).

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
In general, pool cues are not generally a sound Investment.
There are always exceptions but in general, absolutely not.

The best aspect of acquiring a high end custom is price protection.
What you paid for the cue will likely not drop due to supply & demand.

The top cue-makers have limited annual production which results in backlog
of work resulting in a long waiting list of several, if not many, years. Those cues
have the best chance for appreciation but they’re also initially expensive to
acquire. You could make a couple of grand flipping one of those cues but it will
take awhile and your money could get equivalent return somewhere else faster.

Cues aren’t a good investment unless you are going to do volume & then it really
becomes more of a business activity more than an investment. Buy your cue and
pay whatever sum you want. When you do not buy the right type cue, just be
prepared to take a loss and sometimes it can be substantial or also slight. It all
depends on the cue, condition and cue-maker. Buy the right cue and you will
generally get your money back when sold. That’s the benefit of getting a great
custom cue and with the right circumstances, you can turn a profit.

Ironically, it is when the cue-maker retires or passes along that the greatest potential
gains are realized. How sad that is for the sake of the cue-maker but the same applies
to great works of art & other artifacts. In general, cues aren’t a good investment.