Night Owl

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always have been, & always will be. I notice most higher-level tournaments (metro areas) are started before noon (I assume so they will wind up before the regular evening crowd arrives, and tables are then open). Since I live in a remote rural area, no way I can drive there and be alert enough to compete effectively. Expensive city hotel rates often double your entry expense, which rather rules out traveling the day before. Am I wrong to assume most pool players are NOT early risers? Anyone else have this complaint? What’s the solution?

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always have been, & always will be. I notice most higher-level tournaments (metro areas) are started before noon (I assume so they will wind up before the regular evening crowd arrives, and tables are then open). Since I live in a remote rural area, no way I can drive there and be alert enough to compete effectively. Expensive city hotel rates often double your entry expense, which rather rules out traveling the day before. Am I wrong to assume most pool players are NOT early risers? Anyone else have this complaint? What’s the solution?

In the back of my mind theres an accu-stat scene from a 10 ball tourney (before it was popular) between Sigel v Mataya. The match was early in the day, Sigel mentioned that 11am was going to cost him a certain amount of dollars. I played APA masters, all those matches were Sunday at noon, NO THANKS.
Pool was meant for the evening through the morning not the other way around.
(I am also a lifetime night owl.)

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Drive to the area the night before and hit some on the tables. Find a residential area with street parking, find a good spot and sleep in your car. Sleeping in the car you'll be up at sunrise, hopefully without a stiff neck. lol

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drive to the area the night before and hit some on the tables. Find a residential area with street parking, find a good spot and sleep in your car. Sleeping in the car you'll be up at sunrise, hopefully without a stiff neck. lol
As a retired truck driver, I would recommend someone sleeping in their car at a truck stop rather than a residential street. At a truck stop you can go in for a piss, a #2, or something to eat 24/7. Probably safer too. I wouldn't want to be caught downloading in some strangers bushes at 3:00 am.

Last edited:

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a retired truck driver, I would recommend someone sleeping in their car at a truck stop rather than a residential street. One reason is you can go in for a piss, a #2, or something to eat 24/7. Probably safer too.

I strongly agree, I retired from the road after 23 years, the last several as a gas hauler. If your going to stay for more than couple days, the truck stops have showers also. If your lucky, maybe a friendly knock on the window asking if you need help with anything. LOL

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I strongly agree, I retired from the road after 23 years, the last several as a gas hauler. If your going to stay for more than couple days, the truck stops have showers also. If your lucky, maybe a friendly knock on the window asking if you need help with anything. LOL

Lot Lizards and Pool Hall groupies are about the same ilk.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm the same way most of the time.

It's a big struggle to try and be any other way.

Jeff

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There is no way to have a larger event, start late, and finish at a decent time. There is no fix that is in your control aside from getting up earlier. Pool room staff wants to go home also even if you don't count the other players, and some areas have laws about how late business can stay open. It's simple math, so many players with so many tables to play on with so much time to play each match. Unless you have short races with only a dozen players, you need to start early or else. I doubt anyone will be starting tournaments later for people that don't like to get up earlier, there are other people that are involved, and you need to remember that your needs or wants don't count over any other person's.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not but, most pros had rather play much later than most tournaments currently start..

Most amateurs prefer to play earlier. Why? Most amateurs have a day job.

I'm retired so, I can and do sleep when I want, just like I play pool when I want.

:rolleyes: as long as the wife says it's ok:cool:

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just the opposite. When I was young I worked nights in a factory and was a night person. For the last 25 or more years that I worked I had to get up at 4:30am to be to work by 6am. Now I've been retired for 5 years and still get up between 5 and 6am. I recently quit playing one local bar tournament because it doesn't get over until 1am and If I stay up that late I feel like crap the next day.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another early riser here.

I can't tell you how many times I have walked out of weekly tourneys at 1am+, from the winners side.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...Pool room staff wants to go home also....

Maybe the owner does. In the better rooms where I used to hang out, the ‘staff’’ (counterman) was usually just another poolroom bum/hustler who only worked there for the free practice & action, and would gladly jump into an all night gambling session.

It’s a quandary. The serene/traditional rooms with the best equipment won’t hold late tournaments, and the bars who DO usually have the worst tables and the loudest jukebox.