Tall players and long cues

mr_griff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone in here have any advice on long cues? I am 6'5" and have been playing a predator p2 with a 314 shaft for a few years. I have thought about making my next cue a 60" cue, but have also emailed a custom cuemaker only to find out he doesn't make extended cues and that the cue is 58" for a reason and being a little taller didn't mean a 60" would be a good idea. Then again I've heard it the other way. I have been thinking about a 30" LD shaft (I'd consider OB in addition to predator) as a way of saving the money but still gaining half the difference.

2 questions:

- Anybody have any experience playing a longer cue?

- Anybody recommend a cue maker that could build an affordable custom that played tits perfect? I would want a cocobolo cue, with a few rings and maybe a butt sleeve band of a contrasting wood, but no points or inlays needed. I emailed these spec's to Jackson a few years ago, and they replied that it would be $550, but I'm not sure if they are the best bet (I know a few people who play Jacksons here on the Oregon Coast). I would imagine that $500-600 range is probably what I need to plan on, but I'm just guessing. Whoever I had build one I'd want to get a general feel for their cues first.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Hey,

looks like we are in the same boat, i am 6'4" myself and i shoot with a Standard Length McDaniel's Butt and a 30" old Growth Shaft.

i used to own a Mike Morgan cue that i had built to 60", it works well but you have to keep in mind the resale factor. if somewhere down the line you want to or have to sell it, not alot of players are gonna need a longer cue. Plus to make the cue longer it is gonna make it Heavier. in order to keep the weight down it is gonna effect the balance, and will limit you on some of your choices of woods to use....IMHO

Good Luck Fellow Tall Guy !!
Steve

RoryHunt

The King of "so close."
Silver Member
I know Sheldon LeBow makes cues for taller people. Just read the second paragraph of his "About Me" secion here.

http://www.sheldoncue.com/about.htm

Plus he makes excellant cues, and is a great guy to work with.

Plus he is in Oregon, outta Eugene. Tell him Rory sent ya.

Last edited:

markpatrick

Cardinals
Silver Member
I am 6 foot 6 inches tall

Anyone in here have any advice on long cues? I am 6'5" and have been playing a predator p2 with a 314 shaft for a few years. I have thought about making my next cue a 60" cue, but have also emailed a custom cuemaker only to find out he doesn't make extended cues and that the cue is 58" for a reason and being a little taller didn't mean a 60" would be a good idea. Then again I've heard it the other way. I have been thinking about a 30" LD shaft (I'd consider OB in addition to predator) as a way of saving the money but still gaining half the difference.

2 questions:

- Anybody recommend a cue maker that could build an affordable custom that played tits perfect? I would want a cocobolo cue, with a few rings and maybe a butt sleeve band of a contrasting wood, but no points or inlays needed. I emailed these spec's to Jackson a few years ago, and they replied that it would be $550, but I'm not sure if they are the best bet (I know a few people who play Jacksons here on the Oregon Coast). I would imagine that $500-600 range is probably what I need to plan on, but I'm just guessing. Whoever I had build one I'd want to get a general feel for their cues first.

Back in 96 I worked for my brother building ques, I wanted a longer cue and had been shooting with a Joss Nick Varner Edition for about a decade but found, my stroke on some shots had me gripping the butt cap on some shots. So, I made a que with a longer butt, and a longer shaft. It is between 60 and 61 inches. It shoots great, later I made a longer shaft for my Huebler break stick and last year my brother made me another Long que. They hit good, and I seldom use my Joss but when I do break it out I find myself gripping the butt cap on some long shots.

I would have to recommend my brother Doug.
patrickcustomques.com

He works out of Shooter's in Olathe Kansas. I can give you his number if you PM me or you may be able to find in on a midwest9ball flyer or his website.

Just ask him about his brother Mark's ques.

Once you play with a longer que, I bet you seldom use any of the standard 58 inch ones.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I'd explore your question under the search forums, we've had a few good threads addressing this concern.
I'm 6'6'' and went back to a 58'' (had a 60'' for years) and played great in my prime with the standard length. I think it takes a great player with a great swing (Mizerak) to utilize this much wood.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Hey, I just invented an invention .... LOL :)

a male / female center piece adapter that lengthens the cue. You screw it into the butt and then the shaft onto it.

NOBODY go steal this now I just went to legalzoom.com and printed out a patent . :nanner:

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
No soup for you! That's prior art. :wink:

I used to play 60" cues as I played both snooker and pool (and we didn't use extensions on the snooker cues which were truly pool cues). A friend in Springfield, MO still uses a 63" cue.

58" cue length is pretty much the norm nowadays but that is all it is - a norm. There is a nice 60" cue for sale in the Wanted/For Sale section.

The biggest disadvantage of a longer cue for a taller person is the cramped location of many tables... in bars especially.

JesPiddlin

Designed by Mother Nature
Silver Member

2 questions:

Gene La Viness of Crown Cues, makes 60" cues for folks who need that extra length. I don't believe he has any in stock, but he would be glad to build one for you. Price range similar to what you are asking, maybe even less.... Here's a thread about a Crown Cue that's making its way around the country, right now... http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=167015

www.crowncues.biz

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
The center Male/female has already been done. my cue maker made one for me like 10 or 15 years ago, i stopped using it. i felt like it might damage the cue in some way.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I'm a fat man who has played both standard 58" cues as well as a 30" predator shaft on my Scruggs standard 29" butt and while I do pretty well with either configuration; I have to say on those shots where I'm draped over the table stretched to the absolute max, I do find that extra inch to be a valuable commodity.

Sure I can grab the bridge for these special occasions but if I can avoid using the stick-bridge in favor of using my more dependable flesh-bridge, that will, I feel, give me a slightly better edge. And that's what it's all about, right?

I'm assuming that for you extra tall players, you are running out of stick to match up with your pendulums on long stretched shots. ? .

Johnny Archer is pretty tall; what maybe 6' 4" or better. I wonder if he uses standard 58" cues.

Don't let anyone try to tell you that an extra one or two inches is a bad thing... ;)

KC

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
no problem 60" or longer

Quality cues can be built at 60" or longer. I normally play with a 60" cue myself although I am only 6'-2".(Feel kinda short on this thread!) Part of how long a cue you need depends on shooting style, some people 6'-6" or taller can shoot just fine with a 57" cue, some people under 6' need a longer cue.

The real keys are construction, weight, and balance point. I tried a 32" shaft that somebody had added all the length to the tip end. It was an unplayable noodle. Another 32" shaft with the taper designed for a 32" shaft will play great.

Select a maker who often builds long cues and you should do just fine. Wish I could make a suggestion other than finding the cue maker and then searching on here and asking for a few happy customers that have long cues but I don't know who does what these days. There are a lot of top cue builders on AZB, most to be found on the ask the cuemaker and cue machinery forums.

Hu

2 questions:

RShellhouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I decided this very thing but was not looking to drop a fortune on a cue I was not sure would work.

Here are a very cuemakers who will make a player in a longer length at a resonable price.

John K Marshall johnkmarshall@comcast.net

Just received a 60 merry widow today with ironwood and birdseye mable 3/8 x 10 pin...taking it out tomarrow to try...

Bob Danielson www.bdcuesandcomix.com
Making me a beautiful solid purpleheart cue simply stunning wood...cue will end up being 62"

John Bender Cues JohnBenderCues@verizon.net
making me a cue alittle fancier but currently injured and work stalled

Richard Hsu will make a longer cue as well at a good price

Keep in mind before you drop 1000's on fancy cues...make sure the length is going to work for you. Ive got 3 different lengths coming (figure there are alot of tall people who will take the ones that dont work for me off my hands *s*)

Contact me in pm if you have any other questions

R

ps. keep in mind too long and you will need a longer case...in which case see JB Cases who I spoke to about a case for longer cues.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
I am 6' with long arms and always felt that a 57/58" cue was to short for me. Since I am to cheap to buy a custom cue I made my own 61" and just love it. If you ask around somebody in you area should have some long wood for you to try. If anyone in the Dallas area wants to try one let me know.

Larry

rjtcobra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 6-4 with long arms as well, whcih makes me feel like a 58 is way too short (my dress shirt sleeve size is 37.5). After talking with others, and putting an extension on my cue, I am definitely going to do the longer custom. It is my understanding that rjhcustomcues.com can make me a 64 inch cue, which is what I am going to go with. I am going to go to the valley forge expo march 18-21 first as I know they will be exhibiting there.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im 5 foot 8 inches and play with 57 inch cue.

It is an old JW that is about an inch shorter than my other cues.

I hope this helps.

Ken

markpatrick

Cardinals
Silver Member
That is why you pack your 58 for those shots

No soup for you! That's prior art. :wink:

I used to play 60" cues as I played both snooker and pool (and we didn't use extensions on the snooker cues which were truly pool cues). A friend in Springfield, MO still uses a 63" cue.

58" cue length is pretty much the norm nowadays but that is all it is - a norm. There is a nice 60" cue for sale in the Wanted/For Sale section.

The biggest disadvantage of a longer cue for a taller person is the cramped location of many tables... in bars especially.

I have to break out my 58 inch Joss in bars sometimes due to the wall being in the way.

pocketpared

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 6'2"...

Standard length on cues used to be 57" then became 58" over time. I'm 6'2" and 57" always felt too short for me. I used to have shafts made 1.0" longer for a total cue length of 58". That was better and then I started ordering and using 58.5" cues and they felt even better. I have a 60" McDaniels with an ivory joint and even though it hits very well it just feels too long when I play. My playing cue atm is a 59" Gina and it feels perfect when I play.

Check out Queperfect. Makes cues for taller players. I am 5'8" amd use a 60" cue. Love it! True about the case...I had to order a special Whitten for my longer cue and also can be a PITA in bars.

Sheldon Lebow made me a 3 piece cue to match my custom. Plays great too. He is the man for quality hit for the price. However if you want the best..you gonna pay the price. Ronnie at Queperfect can make your dreams come true...but get in line. His wait list is pretty long these days I think.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
All of my playing cues are 60 inches, 30 inch butt and 30 inch shafts.

I have a Jim Buss, a Richard Black, a Mace (by Rick Howard) a Ray Schuler, a Greg Pierce, and soon will have a Mark Bear full splice. All 60 inches long. There's a short list of cuemakers who will make you a longer cue. I love my 60 inch cues. They fit me, not some standardized template of what a Pool player should use or be. 30-40 years ago 56 inches was the norm. There were taller people then as well. If you want a longer cue there are plenty of cue makers that will make them for you.

Good luck.

Last edited: