BIG Mosconi Cup News...............

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeremy Jones was just announced as 2020 team captain. Joey Gray will be asst. capt. GREAT picks in my opinion.

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Jeremy Jones was just announced as 2020 team captain. Joey Gray will be asst. capt. GREAT picks in my opinion.

Yes that is indeed good news. I like double J a lot. I don’t know much about Joey gray but I’ve seen him play and he’s definitely got skills.

I was actually just watching a few matches of the MC last midnight. 3 times in the first match I was watching the purple 5, thinking someone just dogged position on the 4 😂

It didn’t take long at all to pretend like those balls never happened

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes that is indeed good news. I like double J a lot. I don’t know much about Joey gray but I’ve seen him play and he’s definitely got skills.

I was actually just watching a few matches of the MC last midnight. 3 times in the first match I was watching the purple 5, thinking someone just dogged position on the 4 😂

It didn’t take long at all to pretend like those balls never happened
Joey lives in OkCity and i've watched him since he was about 14. Good player and now he's branched out into being a very good teacher. Meet him once and its like you've known him yrs. Really a good dude.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Congrats to Jeremy, who has come a long way.

Johnny Archer introduced me to him when Jeremy was just 20, just a newbie in pro pool. The three of us played golf together on two consecutive days in Pompano Beach, Florida during a PBT event and we've all been friends ever since.

Best of luck to Jeremy and also to Joey Gray. See you at Alexandra Palace!

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to Jeremy, who has come a long way.

Johnny Archer introduced me to him when Jeremy was just 20, just a newbie in pro pool. The three of us played golf together on two consecutive days in Pompano Beach, Florida during a PBT event and we've all been friends ever since.

Best of luck to Jeremy and also to Joey Gray. See you at Alexandra Palace!

Stu- Will these captains command the same "respect" from the players? What I mean is, it almost seemed as if Johan had a certain mystique about him. Almost seemed like he had a "my way or the highway" approach and wasn't going to let anyone intimidate or stand in his way. (see the "face off" with Chamat this year)

I just wonder with JJ being such a well liked and nice guy, coupled with him being "just one of the guys", could it lead to a familiarity or complacency.

I could be completely wrong and off base, as I don't know any of the principles involved, just some random thoughts.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I just wonder with JJ being such a well liked and nice guy, coupled with him being "just one of the guys", could it lead to a familiarity or complacency.

I could be completely wrong and off base, as I don't know any of the principles involved, just some random thoughts.

I have a feeling that things will work out well. If johan has stayed one winning year then left it may not have been enough but now the US has won twice in a row and I imagine the players who make the team will be feeling good about the whole thing and will stick with the team spirit and allow the coaches to do their thing.

I know what you mean though about “one of the guys” becoming the coach. It’s easier to give up control and follow someone from the outside that has never been one of your peers.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• 82834802_10157779093875115_5894326633568927744_o.jpg
    82834802_10157779093875115_5894326633568927744_o.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 362

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu- Will these captains command the same "respect" from the players? What I mean is, it almost seemed as if Johan had a certain mystique about him. Almost seemed like he had a "my way or the highway" approach and wasn't going to let anyone intimidate or stand in his way. (see the "face off" with Chamat this year)

Nobody really knows.

Johan is a coaching legend who runs his own instruction academy in Russia. His star student, Fedor Gorst, has just won the World 9-ball Championship. No Mosconi Cup replacement could possibly match up to his, to use your term, mystique.

That said, I think Jeremy is viewed more as a scholarly elder statesman than as one of the guys. Remember, most of Jeremy's professional wins came before the members of his team had turned pro. As vice captain, he is 2-0, so one must presume that he'll stick with the formula that's working to the extent possible.

We'll see how it goes with Jeremy, but I applaud the pick.