Milk dud tips

bobroberts

Pool player
Silver Member
I had one installed and don't like it at all.it gives a dull thud when hitting the cue ball.I also don't get it to move the ball around very good.Think i will stick with moori med.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
I had one installed and don't like it at all.it gives a dull thud when hitting the cue ball.I also don't get it to move the ball around very good.Think i will stick with moori med.

Bob, not all Milk Dud tips are created equal. When I had spoken to Keith about my cue and choice of tip I wanted, he mentioned to me that he had used some of the Dudley (Meullers) tips and did not like them at all. Based on his experience, he decided to not use Milk Duds anymore. I had to agree with him, I did not care for them either.

I also tried some from an AZer, and they were definitely better than the Dudleys, but some inconsistency from tip to tip. This was mostly in relation to hardness.

I finally decided to try out the original US maker of Milk Dud tips, Mike Johnson of Jensen Cues. He has it down pat all across the board. All of the tips I have received (from Jimmy @ Waldo's) have been extremely consistent from tip to tip.

I remember Keith asking me where I had gotten the tips I had sent him for my cue. He was thoroughly impressed with them. He said that not only did he love the fact that they came pre-domed, making shaping up really neat and clean, but that they were some of the easiest to work with tips he had encountered in a long time. I think his opinion of Milk Dud tips changed a bit after he test hit with both shafts, as he said that they played fantastically too.

I have had my cue a little over 2 months now, and I break with it every time. Neither tip has flattened or misshapen due to the breaking...which I have had other makers' Milk Duds do...and absolutely no evidence of mushrooming or even tip glazing. They hold chalk extremely well, and allow me to get pretty darn close to the edge of whitey with no miscues. I also get great draw. They do not feel 'dead' in the hit to me...actually, quite the opposite.

If you ever decide to try them again...definitely try the one's from Mike Johnson...they may well change your opinion of them entirely.

Lisa

bobroberts

Pool player
Silver Member
Bob, not all Milk Dud tips are created equal. When I had spoken to Keith about my cue and choice of tip I wanted, he mentioned to me that he had used some of the Dudley (Meullers) tips and did not like them at all. Based on his experience, he decided to not use Milk Duds anymore. I had to agree with him, I did not care for them either.

I also tried some from an AZer, and they were definitely better than the Dudleys, but some inconsistency from tip to tip. This was mostly in relation to hardness.

I finally decided to try out the original US maker of Milk Dud tips, Mike Johnson of Jensen Cues. He has it down pat all across the board. All of the tips I have received (from Jimmy @ Waldo's) have been extremely consistent from tip to tip.

I remember Keith asking me where I had gotten the tips I had sent him for my cue. He was thoroughly impressed with them. He said that not only did he love the fact that they came pre-domed, making shaping up really neat and clean, but that they were some of the easiest to work with tips he had encountered in a long time. I think his opinion of Milk Dud tips changed a bit after he test hit with both shafts, as he said that they played fantastically too.

I have had my cue a little over 2 months now, and I break with it every time. Neither tip has flattened or misshapen due to the breaking...which I have had other makers' Milk Duds do...and absolutely no evidence of mushrooming or even tip glazing. They hold chalk extremely well, and allow me to get pretty darn close to the edge of whitey with no miscues. I also get great draw. They do not feel 'dead' in the hit to me...actually, quite the opposite.

If you ever decide to try them again...definitely try the one's from Mike Johnson...they may well change your opinion of them entirely.

Lisa

Sorry its taken so long to get back here but when i told the CM who installed the tip about the hit his reply is you can' make a lousy tip play better.
I wish he would of told me that before he installed it, but i don't think he even realized how bad they were.
If i get a chance i will try the ones you mentioned.
Thanks
Bob

DirtyIrish

Not even close to the OGs
Silver Member
bottom line on tips

Remember Bob when it comes to tips the old golden rule for retail is
"you ALWAYS get what you pay for"
I am just starting out on my own Cue repair and the biggest thing I get is "I want the best soft or medium tip,how much is it?" then the invariable " gee do you have anything cheaper?" I have learned here on AZ that Not all of us remember that we are sellers,and have to put up with some stuff with a grin,and not chase folks away but sometimes it is hard. I have had more than one person go to a chain pool house (repair) get the popoff super tip layered in 18 countries and then comes in from China save a whole bunch of money ($5 bucks or so and never us it for anything but soft shots cuz it keeps coming off hmmmmmm
jmho
Irish

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
I got a milk dud from pooldawgs and it hits great! Don't know if it was made by Jensen or not. I've looked on pooldawgs web site and can't find milk dud tips. I need to get a couple more.

Just went back and looked, I bought them from "pooldawg8" not pooldawgs.com. Had one of those senior moments I guess. The tip still hits great anyway, will buy more.

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Milk Dud Tips

Well, I'm on leave back here in North Carolina and decided to get new tips put on my CC...back in Cyprus, there isn't really anyone who can do a decent job, and I've got ivory ferules and don't really trust myself with the job, so I wanted tips that would last me a while. Went to a local guy here ("Sneaky Pete's Cue Repair", Wilmington, NC). Wanted to try Kamui Black Soft, but he didn't have any left. I've shot with Triangle mediums for 20 years, but thought I'd try a good layered tip...He really didn't have anything on hand that struck me, so on a whim, I said just put some milk duds on them both. Had never tried them, but so many good Filipino players are using them, I thought, what the heck? They're cheap...

Entered a nine ball tournament, did better than I've done in years...I don't know who made them, but these tips are the nuts!! They hit kind of like a hard tip, except the surface itself grips the ball like a soft tip. Juiced my stroke up about 20 percent, I was drawing the ball easier than ever in years. My control jumped through the roof, I was putting the whitey within inches every time. Can't say enough about them. They set up after just a couple of racks and are the best hitting tip I've ever used. If you haven't tried one, they're well worth the money and risk...:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

wilkamania

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pooldawg8 Milk Dud tips Initial impression

I'm still a novice to the game, since I've been playing for less than a year, but I've had the opportunity to try a lot of tips. I realize my stroke and my whole game itself is still developing, so I'll do the best I can to describe my experience with the Milk Dud.

I've used the following
-LePro
-Triangle
-Moori Medium
-Kamui (M & H)
-Molavia (M & H)
-Everest
-Sniper

(some already came with the cues I had, some from borrowed cues, and some I bought and had installed....).

Today i had my cue repair guy install one of Pooldawg8's Milk Dud tips on my Tiger X Shaft and got to hit some balls.

I was surprised how small the pressed tips were, and even my cue guy said "We'll see how much tip is left when I'm done shaping it". Needless to say there was more than enough.

Power hits:
I got around to hitting some balls. Since I'm a beginner, I have two speeds, light touch and hammer smash (I'm working on it).

When i've used other layered tips, hammer smash always flattened them after a few breaks and hard hits. I broke with this tip about 5 times, hard. After I put the balls right in front of the pocket and smashed them in just to test the durability. The nickel shaped maintain its composure.

Holding Chalk:
I also realized with other tips, I would have to chalk after every few to every other shot depending on the tip. I applied chalk once, and didn't miscue till about my 9th shot without adding more (from a freshly shaped tip).

Extreme English:
In the past, with certain tips, my beginner extreme english caused miscuing, and so i wanted to test this out. The Milk Dud seemed to grab onto the ball like it was hanging for dear life. It seemed I put less effort to draw the ball as well. My follow shots were a bit better with less effort. Maybe this is all stroke, but I used a sniper for the past month, with the same effort, and got less action.

Hit:
The best way to describe it is imagining an iron ball with an inch layer gel covering, and how that would feel in your hand. At least that's what I imagined when i hit with this. Otherwise, close to a moori medium. I've never played with a soft layered tip, so maybe this is how it feels?

I loved it, it wasn't too hard, wasn't too soft, and felt just right.

Again, I have a LONG way to work on my game, but these are my impressions for Pooldawg8's milk duds.

And if anything, I've received 5 milk dud tips for almost half the price of what I paid for 1 Kamui Medium + Install, and it performed better in my opinion. You can't beat that. Having one put on an old dufferin right now.

Anyway, I will continue to abuse this tip (and subsequently my Tiger shaft) for the next week, but so far, it's exceeded my expectations in what I want in a tip.

Nice work Jeff

(Apologies for the novel...thanks for reading)

Clark_the_Shark

Has 9-Ball-itis
Silver Member
I am moving the "Milk Dud" review threads to the "Cue Accessory" review section and merging them. Both reviews are well written, thank you.