breathing techniques

Careyp74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO if your at the table getting ready to shoot and worried about your breathing you have the cart in front of the horse. I monitor my breathing techniques during the time I am waiting for my turn to shoot not while I am shooting. I use that time to do controlled breathing exercises to calm my heart rate, and provide more oxygen to my blood. This also clears up my vision and keeps me calmer in a stressful game. When I am at the table I concentrate on the layout not my breathing. JMO!!!!

That is a good point, and something that should be done with all aspects of pool. You should get to a point where you don't have to think about your stance, stroke, etc.

However, in the beginning, it might be a good idea to pay attention to it while you practice, to see if you are breathing properly, and if there might be some good changes to be made.

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you really saying that only MDs can express their opinions?

NO !!!!! If you are an "instructor" you can say whatever you want. If you are a student of the game and practice with high level of awareness + you have studied techniques from the best players on the planet, you are just "unaccountable".........

Also if you are an "instructor" you have the right to twist another guy's words, laugh at him, insult him, etc.......

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you really saying that only MDs can express their opinions?

I was simply making a point. Fran seems to think the only people that can offer opinions in this particular forums must be some kind of certified instructors. Yet, she seems to be okay offering an opinion that only a person knowledgeable in medicine should offer. Perhaps ps611846 and I are the only ones that see the irony in that.

Can't help but wonder why she doesn't jump on CJ. Is he certified? I guess the difference is, Fran is certified while CJ is certainly qualified based upon his capabilities.

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was simply making a point. Fran seems to think the only people that can offer opinions in this particular forums must be some kind of certified instructors. Yet, she seems to be okay offering an opinion that only a person knowledgeable in medicine should offer. Perhaps ps611846 and I are the only ones that see the irony in that.

Can't help but wonder why she doesn't jump on CJ. Is he certified? I guess the difference is, Fran is certified while CJ is certainly qualified based upon his capabilities.

YYYEEESSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a good point, and something that should be done with all aspects of pool. You should get to a point where you don't have to think about your stance, stroke, etc.

However, in the beginning, it might be a good idea to pay attention to it while you practice, to see if you are breathing properly, and if there might be some good changes to be made.

One thing is for sure if your not breathing you got bigger problems than pool!!:thumbup:
ps. I know I dropped, properly....

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
breathing out BEFORE you go down on the shot

Try breathing out BEFORE you go down on the shot and see what happens.

This may not work if you take too many "practice strokes". ;)

I have not seen any discussions on proper breathing while shooting.Breath out when striking the cueball seems right?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
How to Become a "Pool Playing Machine"

The fact of the matter is, the human body wasn't designed to play pool - we must have an advantage both physically and mentally (here is one you might find "enhancing") - - -Enhance Your Inner Game - Enjoy the Compeition

With this in mind it's vital to learn how to coordinate the human body that we do have into a "pool playing machine," .....this means your shoulder, arm, wrist and hand must connect to synergistically control the cue.....and even more important, the TIP.

There is a way to do this and it took me thousands of hours to figure it out. Without my 8 years away from the game it never would have happened, it took rebuilding my own game to understand each component and how they work together.

Still, to teach this it's taking me 3-5 weeks (3 hours a week and depending on the student's practice regiment) to communicate verbally and kinesthetically (I use a sword, and various practice devises to create quicker muscle memory), which is really just a foundation that they can learn from the rest of their lives.

Teaching these things with a pool cue I believe is impossible, it takes something heavier, and interestingly enough it must not be shaped as a pool cue. Our subconscious minds are very powerful - I've found that we can't make congruent stroke changes without completely removing the cue from the equation (to create new habits).......this allows the "anchors" to be temporarily eliminated so the new learning can take place. The Game is the Teacher.com - www.cjwiley.com

Willi Makaball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was trained to shot between heart beats, Now it takes some time to get in tune, but after you exhale, pause, you can feel your heart and time the shot to in between beats.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Try breathing out as you go down on the ball.....it's not weight lifting, you don't want to breath out while stroking.

Proper breathing has always been an important part of my mental game. Breathing is "the bridge" between the subconscious and conscious mind and when done properly can put you quickly into "the zone," "trance," or "dead stroke" (whatever you choose to call it).

Babies automatically breath correctly so if you really want to experience correct breathing get down on all fours (yes, like you're crawling) and see how your breathing changes.....this may be the first time in years that you'll breath as intended. 'The Game is the Teacher'

I have not seen any discussions on proper breathing while shooting.Breath out when striking the cueball seems right?

Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fact of the matter is, the human body wasn't designed to play pool - we must have an advantage both physically and mentally (here is one you might find "enhancing") - - -Enhance Your Inner Game - Enjoy the Compeition

With this in mind it's vital to learn how to coordinate the human body that we do have into a "pool playing machine," .....this means your shoulder, arm, wrist and hand must connect to synergistically control the cue.....and even more important, the TIP.

There is a way to do this and it took me thousands of hours to figure it out. Without my 8 years away from the game it never would have happened, it took rebuilding my own game to understand each component and how they work together.

Still, to teach this it's taking me 3-5 weeks (3 hours a week and depending on the student's practice regiment) to communicate verbally and kinesthetically (I use a sword, and various practice devises to create quicker muscle memory), which is really just a foundation that they can learn from the rest of their lives.

Teaching these things with a pool cue I believe is impossible, it takes something heavier, and interestingly enough it must not be shaped as a pool cue. Our subconscious minds are very powerful - I've found that we can't make congruent stroke changes without completely removing the cue from the equation (to create new habits).......this allows the "anchors" to be temporarily eliminated so the new learning can take place. The Game is the Teacher.com - www.cjwiley.com

Reminds me of the SwingRite practice golf club.

Thanks

John

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The rules and equipment guidelines are critical to keep the integrity of the games

That's right, "there's nothing new under the sun".

Every athlete uses extra weight in training.......except pool, isn't that interesting. :confused: When will it dawn on everyone that don't have to reinvent the wheel, we simply have to use the same wheel as every other sport/game. The rules and equipment guidelines are critical to keep the integrity of the games, and the game of pool has certainly lost it's integrity.

The more I started looking at pool the more I can see that it's been de-evolving for many years while other games/sports are evolving. I do believe pool is the only sport/game that is worse now (because of rule and equipment blunders) than it was 20 years ago.

Reminds me of the SwingRite practice golf club.

Thanks

John

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's interesting that you reply at this time. Right now I'm watching a match between you and Joey Barnes at White Diamonds. Race to seven.
I'm paying very close to your mechanics, grip etc, etc.

Thanks for the reply.
John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm off to San Antonio this weekend for Vivian's tournament.

One thing to remember is I took 8 years off playing and when I came back had to rebuild my stroke and game. Although I took 9th in the US OPEN I still wasn't right and it's taken me a LOT of hard work and dedication to get back to 97% of my potential.

As a result I know more about mechanics and how to teach the professional level stroke than ever before. They say "you only recognize what you're familiar with," and I believe that's accurate.

Just in the last week my game's improved a ball and "it's all in the hands". 'The Game is My Teacher'

I'm off to San Antonio this weekend for Vivian's tournament. The races are short, but with a little luck I can get my self into a position to do well.....or not...such is life. ;)

It's interesting that you reply at this time. Right now I'm watching a match between you and Joey Barnes at White Diamonds. Race to seven.
I'm paying very close to your mechanics, grip etc, etc.

Thanks for the reply.
John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Hi CJ,

The 'it's all in the hands' is interesting to me because just last night I said to myself that I have too much power in my hand & fingers. Naturally that was right after I over hit a shot & missed position by rolling too far.

Lately, the last month or so, I have been trying to take my hand & fingers more out of the picture & use a bit more arm stroke with less hand & fingers in it. Who knows. Maybe it's just because of the weather change. Naturally I'd like to hear more on 'it's all in the hands'.

Stay Well & Good Luck in 'Tornado Land'.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
military snipers are trained to shoot after exhaling, something about body being in more relaxed state if im remembering right.

googled: Your optimal time to fire would be at the bottom of your breath, between heartbeats, because that is when your body has the least amount of movement.