Stroke follow through for smaller players

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you and Scott are both correct, but you're each talking about different parts of the stroke. Like Scott said, cue weight and timing (as it relates to maximum or optimal speed) is what determines cb striking power. You are correct in associating greater follow through with greater power. The difference is....what Scott is talking about is the cause, and what you're talking about is the effect. In other words, a longer follow through doesn't produce more power or optimal timing, but it can be the result of these things.

Simply allowing the cue to naturally come to a stop at the end of the stroke is much better than consciously trying to stop or slow the follow through after cb impact. With the correct timing, max or optimal cue speed should be reached as the tip strikes the cb, then a natural deceleration of the cue occurs with the follow through. I believe what you're saying is, by utilizing a good follow through it helps ensure optimal cue stick speed when the tip strikes the cb. Or did you mean something different?

Yes that's just one justification for the elbow drop which is the point he threw the shot at. Not a problem; nowhere to back down from correct. I might elaborate further with, wear and tear on the joints may not put you in traction but for the players who put in long hours grinding it out, need I say more?

@Leigh, I'm not selling anything nor trying to derail this thread. Hope you understand.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, in your case, I guess pool physics = ego! Pretty tough to defeat physics...in fact you can't! There is really no such thing as a "physique limited stroke". There's just the "limited" mindset that things must be learned your way, and your way only. The way we teach, we fit the stroke to the body...not the other way around. Your comment about physics not being pertinent in this discussion just shows your lack of understanding. Once again, you simply don't know what you don't know.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

You read with your ego or you are simply incorrect. How far you are ABLE to follow through has everything to do with how hard you will hit. As far as your textbook facts, they aren't pertinent to this point nor a physique limited stroke. Skewing semantically is something I would expect from customer service and not an instructor...

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, in your case, I guess pool physics = ego! Pretty tough to defeat physics...in fact you can't! There is really no such thing as a "physique limited stroke". There's just the "limited" mindset that things must be learned your way, and your way only. The way we teach, we fit the stroke to the body...not the other way around. Your comment about physics not being pertinent in this discussion just shows your lack of understanding. Once again, you simply don't know what you don't know.

Well you missed again; the same way no less. You're still self promoting the only point you got on it and it's not even the point. Plus insults. Good lesson.
Incidentally you seem to be unaware of the fact that this:

Once again, you simply don't know what you don't know.

Is cutting you.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good post and excellent videos. Just a suggestion to try based on 60+ years experience...try raising up about 4 to 6 inches. This may loosen up your stroke and result in much more power which is what you requested.
An alternative is to lower your cue or even try both to some degree.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The important thing for moving the cue ball easily is not follow through but rather speed of the cue stick at the instant it contacts the cue ball. Usually that is hurt by moving the arm farther back behind perpendicular.

I suspect that you are stopping your stroke early, which leads to weak shots. It is impossible to tell without seeing your stroke. Can you make a video of you shooting in various ways shot from the side and the front?

I disagree with negating the importance of following through with regard to stroking. When a player is determined to follow through, their stroke timing gets better. So focusing on following through is a good thing and is not irrelevant to a good stroke.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well you missed again; the same way no less. You're still self promoting the only point you got on it and it's not even the point. Plus insults. Good lesson.
Incidentally you seem to be unaware of the fact that this:

Is cutting you.

Straightline --- let's not forget that you're posting as anonymous. How about you step up and put your name behind your posts? The rest of us are. What's to hide?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Straightline --- let's not forget that you're posting as anonymous. How about you step up and put your name behind your posts? The rest of us are. What's to hide?

I hung around with players in the 70s. Loved the pool but it was pretty obvious to me I wasn't the player type. So I stuck to pool and learned pool. Not real interested in socializing. Posting is enough danger for me. lol...:grin-square:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First I would like to say thank you for your incredible generosity to take the time to reply to this post. A little background: I am 50 years old, just started playing a year ago, I immediately bought a table, and joined a house league at the local pool hall. Everyone at the pool hall has been so helpful and welcoming. In nine ball I’m a four (but I think I get lucky and I’m probably more like a three) and in eight ball I’m a four or five... I think four is more accurate. I’m only five one and cross eye dominant. I work a ton and don’t have a lot of time to practice so now that I’m working from home I’m trying to practice as much as possible. I really want to drill down my fundamentals so I don’t have to think about them when I’m playing a game. I’m making my way through Tor Lowery’s pool drills.
Attached are two videos. One shot from the side, one from the front. All criticism on what I am doing wrong is welcome. I just want to get better.
Here are the two videos. The first one is from the side and the second from the front.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5b6d1U1V0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuMXclcJhDg

Couple observations about what's happening. First of all, you seem concerned about not generating enough speed/power to move the CB around. If that's the case then I'd suggest making a video of you shooting actual shots and trying to get 2-3 rail position. That would be helpful in determining what is needed for improvement. The problem with the videos you posted is that you're just lagging balls into the pocket without really trying to get any power into the shot.
As Bob pointed out, the power comes mostly from speed of stroke. Length, smoothness and pace of acceleration are the primary factors. All of that happens before tip contact with CB. Follow through is just the result of what came before. Perhaps I'm strange but in 50+ years I've never once thought to myself "make sure you follow through". It would be putting the cart before the horse.
What I do see in the videos is 2 things:
When you move your right hand back what you think is about 4" it's actually only about an inch and a half or so because at the same time you move your grip hand you are also moving your bridge hand almost the same amount. So in effect not much has really changed.Your follow thru is slightly longer but not 4", more like an inch and a half or so.
If you moved your right hand back 4" and left your bridge hand in the original place it would feel very uncomfortable and that's why your bridge hand moved along with your grip hand. It's a very natural thing to have happen.
The other thing was that you and others noticed and discussed the relationship between your forearm and the plane of the cue.It should be fairly close to 90*. Again, as Bob pointed out, you're fairly good, in both positions actually. Which,if you think about it, would tend to confirm my assertion that you moved both hands on the cue for your second set of 3 shots. If you only moved your grip hand 4" then the cue/forearm relationship would be noticeably off.
What you need to look at is the angle between your forearm and your upper arm. It also should be close to 90*. That, more than anything, is what's limiting your stroke length/follow thru. That angle is somewhat dictated by your body type/size. Standing up straighter may help though then relearning to aim will be an issue. I also think a shorter cue may help.
Not an instructor.

Leigh

Registered
Hello everyone that posted! Work got crazy (I am the vice principal of a school) and required my attention for a little bit. Although I was practicing I didn’t recheck this thread. I just want to thank everybody so so much for taking the time. I am learning from all of you and I have already noticed improvements. God, I love this stupid game!!!!