Aiming trainers

yama988

As a very novice player, I have struggled with my aiming. I have tried some simple "ghost ball" type methods, but still can't seem to get completely comfortable. Part of that issues is that I usually wear glasses. I got a new pair specifically fitted for pool, but it is certainly not as good as when I wear contacts.

I have looked at the Laser Stroke training aid as well as Joe Tuckers Laser Trainer as potential aids. Any thoughts on those? The Joe Tucker aid is significantly more expensive, so I am wondering if it is really worth the extra cost.

Any other suggestions as far as methods, training aids, etc...?

Thanks

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
As a very novice player, I have struggled with my aiming. I have tried some simple "ghost ball" type methods, but still can't seem to get completely comfortable. Part of that issues is that I usually wear glasses. I got a new pair specifically fitted for pool, but it is certainly not as good as when I wear contacts.

It seems like you know how to aim. Make sure you understand throw and how it effects the shot. You will need to adjust your aim to compensate for it.

Good mechanics are essential to send the cue ball to the target you're aiming at. Being a very novice player, it would be well with it to you to visit an instructor to get you started the right way. A good place to find an instructor is on the BCA instructor list.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
if you have your own table... or at least exclusive access to a table.. for more than 2 hours... you can make your own aim trainer

use the bright green master chalk... on dark cloth

get some sticky hole reinforcers ... 3 ring binder type.... and set one for a CB and one for the OB.... any situation you desire...... chalk up before every shot...

and in very short order...

as long as you make more balls than you miss.. you will get an aim trainer right before your eyes..

you will develop a line from your CB starting point to the center of your ghost ball

and a line from the center of the ghost ball that fans out along the tangent line..

shoot the same shot 25 times... as long as you can make 15 of them.. the chalk lines on the table will begin to become a guide..

the better you get the thinner the lines will become...

you develop lots of great references..

stroke line..

tangent line...

the true center of the ghost ball shows itself...

I go 2 days.... 1 day to develop the lines....

1 day to use them....

then a vacuum and a wipe down with a damp cloth and start over...

you don't need to spend money on all the latest gadgets...

just buy some light colored chalk and the truth of the game will reveal itself to you.....

set shots... they show you everything..

good luck:thumbup:

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a trainer and DVD that will help you or you get your money back.
You can see video clips on the link below. If it doesnt help return it within 30 days and I will refund your money.

Mark

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
You can see video clips on the link below. If it doesnt help return it within 30 days and I will refund your money.

Mark

I have work with the above TRAINING, and it does what make says it does, and is worth more than $19.99 FOB Destination IMHO!!!!

yama988

I appreciate the feedback everyone has given. I have tried the various templates, including one similar to the the one available at TeachMePool. I think I have a good understanding of the concept of how and what to aim at. The templates all help show me what point to aim at - so I think I have that down reasonably well.

The reason I inquired about the laser-type aids, is that I am not entirely sure that what I perceive as being accurately aimed is indeed accurate. Am I actually aimed at what I think I am aimed at? If I miss, is it because of a faulty stroke or because my aim was off (when I thought is was fine)?

I was thinking that a laser-type aiming aid would show me exactly where I was aimed. This might allow me to correct any inherent aiming bias, which I now perceive at being accurate.

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
The reason I inquired about the laser-type aids, is that I am not entirely sure that what I perceive as being accurately aimed is indeed accurate. Am I actually aimed at what I think I am aimed at? If I miss, is it because of a faulty stroke or because my aim was off (when I thought is was fine)?

One way to find out where your eyes should be so that what you perceive is accurate, is to lay the entire cue on the bed of the table lined up with a diamond on each of the end rails. Without moving the cue, get into your shooting (set) position over the cue, and move your eyes left and right until you see the cue accurately lined up with the diamond.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will include you in the Perfect Aim review test.

I have looked at the Laser Stroke training aid as well as Joe Tuckers Laser Trainer as potential aids. Any thoughts on those? The Joe Tucker aid is significantly more expensive, so I am wondering if it is really worth the extra cost.

Any other suggestions as far as methods, training aids, etc...?

Thanks

Hi there yama988,

I just came across your thread here and I can see you are searching for answers. I think I have them for you.

I have one more spot left on my Perfect Aim review. I have learned some great new techniques with showing how Perfect Aim works.

I have picked 11 other AZers like yourself to recieve the video for free. You will be a little behind the other ones but that is ok. You will be the last one of 12.

I am still giving a bucket load of personal lessons and the results are still as great as ever. The new techniques that I am using I am sharing with this group and it appears that the results are going to be really good.

Some players were having trouble learning and understanding my video so this is kind of a great way to share this with some AZers like yourself and help myself learn how to make the video more understandable.

In a day or 2 we will be starting a Perfect Aim review so we can all communicate and share the results with other AZers and tell them what it has done for your game.

I would love to help you with your game if you will participate in the Perfect Aim review and just call it the way you see it. And hopefully you will see it great.

Just send me a PM with your name, telephone number and address and I will get the video sent out to you right away.

If you want to ask any questions feel free to call me at 715-563-8712.

Have a great weekend Geno............

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yama988...Try this: use the hole reinforcements mentioned above to create a DEAD straight shot (keep the distance between the OB and CB to 1-2 diamonds). Use one of the inexpensive lasers from Home Depot or Ace ($10) to align the hole reinforcements, so that they are a perfect straight line to the center of the pocket opening (the shot can be set up 4-6 feet from the pocket. Now, get down into your stance, "perceive" your straight line, and shoot a perfect stop shot. If the CB stops dead, leave it where it is, and see if you can set the OB back on it's original spot. If so, now look down the lasered line to the pocket, and see if your CB is inline with the two hole reinforcements. Very often it will show a slight cut right or left of dead on. This is your "misperception" of a straight line (or it can be caused by a problem in your delivery). Either way, it's a great way to begin learning how to self correct the problem.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I appreciate the feedback everyone has given. I have tried the various templates, including one similar to the the one available at TeachMePool. I think I have a good understanding of the concept of how and what to aim at. The templates all help show me what point to aim at - so I think I have that down reasonably well.

I was thinking that a laser-type aiming aid would show me exactly where I was aimed. This might allow me to correct any inherent aiming bias, which I now perceive at being accurate.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I thought my stroke was straight but I didn't know where to aim. I was wrong. Hours spent practicing the stroke will also get the aim intuition working.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
There are two elements that come into play when aiming a pool shot. The first is you must know where you want the cue ball to go. This is what all the different aiming systems try to help with. The second element is having an accurate delivery system that can get the cue ball to the precise point where you need it to be. This combines the stroke mechanics along with proper alignment so the shooter can see the actual straight line that the cue ball will be traveling.

In my experience, most players are quite capable, with just a little bit of work, of getting the delivery system. This is evidenced by the ability of so many to do the straight down the table and straight back to the tip drill. If you can consistently do that drill, you can get the cue ball to go where you want it to go. So if you are missing shots, it's probably because you are aiming at the wrong place.

Knowing where to aim, and being able to deliver the cue ball accurately are the keys to making shots.

Steve

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a different perspective(Please don't flame me)....I think the problem probably lies in not hitting the ball straight. I absolutely subscribe into getting lessons from a competent instructor. If your mechanics aren't correct-your not going to consistently hit the ball straight. I am getting lessons and have been amazed at how fundamentally flawed my setup/stroke/grip/pre shot routine were. If I didn't have someone to point this out I would of kept practicing the same flawed stuff over and over.

I was hesitant to spend the money on instruction. Until one day I woke up and decided if I am willing to buy a pool table and a 450 dollar stick-I had better get lessons if I want to get better. It has been the smartest money I've spent so far.

All of the suggested drills from the experts above are exactly what my instructor has me doing. The expert guidance provided on a daily basis from the instructors on this sight is amazing. Thank you gentlemen.

Krelldog

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
If your mechanics aren't correct-your not going to consistently hit the ball straight. I am getting lessons and have been amazed at how fundamentally flawed my setup/stroke/grip/pre shot routine were. If I didn't have someone to point this out I would of kept practicing the same flawed stuff over and over.

I was hesitant to spend the money on instruction. Until one day I woke up and decided if I am willing to buy a pool table and a 450 dollar stick-I had better get lessons if I want to get better. It has been the smartest money I've spent so far.

Tap, Tap, Tap...

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
krelldog...It's amazing to me how many people feel the same way you used to. They will spend hundreds of dollars a cue/cues, thousands on a pool table, some will spend hundreds or thousands on gambling...when some quality instruction will pay off handsomely, with a lifetime of better playing. I hope your instructor uses video review as part of his/her teaching process...it's VITAL to the most efficient outcome. We don't know what we don't know...but it sure shows up on t.v.! :grin-square:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Krelldog

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Mark

Check out the U-Tube, GREAT Product for less than $20.00 on you door step!

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
krelldog...It's amazing to me how many people feel the same way you used to. They will spend hundreds of dollars a cue/cues, thousands on a pool table, some will spend hundreds or thousands on gambling...when some quality instruction will pay off handsomely, with a lifetime of better playing. I hope your instructor uses video review as part of his/her teaching process...it's VITAL to the most efficient outcome. We don't know what we don't know...but it sure shows up on t.v.! :grin-square:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott,

Its funny you mention video review. I bought a Canon FS 200(camcorder) and a good tripod right before I read your reply. Any filming tips?