9 ball cut break

alex917

Registered
Ive done the cut break a couple of times and im slowly narrowing down on how to exicute this everytime but i am the type that self teaches but b/c ive been kind of short on practice time i was wonder if anyone does the cut break everytime can tell me how to do it does the position of the cue ball have a part in the cut break? does power help or make things worse, where do you hit the 1 ball 50%,60%,70% of the 1 ball.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I'm no expert but I mostly see pros that cut the break shot place the cue ball near the rail. I think this is because breaking from the side results in a fuller hit on the one ball and therefore transfers more energy to the stack.

Also, if breaking from the right side then a little low right is used to bring the cue ball back towards the center of the table after hitting the near side rail. Same principle if breaking from the left side.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
The purpose of a cut break is to create an angle that does not exist, because you are forced to break the balls from a position closer to the center of the table.

IF you break from the side rail there is no need to do a cut break. At the US open 9 ball players are forced to break from the box (area confined within the first and last diamond on the short rail) because of this the cut break is used almost exclusively by most players.

This is something that you need to experiment with, as the amount of the one ball you need to hit varies depending on lots of conditions including how close to the center of the table your cueball is.

As far as power, I would suggest only enough to make a ball, and not too much so you start to lose the cueball. You will NEED to inspect every rack carefully to make sure all of the balls are frozen to each other. Multiple gaps in the rack will guarantee this will not work.

Try first from the first diamond (either left or right, and start with a quarter hit on the oneball, and keep adjusting the amount you hit the one ball with depending on what happens to the rack when you break it. Remember since you are starting closer to the center of the table you are creating the angle on the oneball by changing how much of it you hit. If you start adjusting closer to the center of the table then you will need to hit less of the one ball

The biggest problem with the cutbreak is that it is very easy to lose control of the cueball.

The year that SVB won the open, he had IMO the best cutbreak I had seen in the tourny. He would break from the right side, with low left english on the cue. the cueball would travel 3 rails (Long, short, long) towards the place he broke from and the oneball whould head up table too. He usually made a ball, and was playing position on the one ball. It was a sight to see.

Last edited:

deadstroke13

The Banker
Silver Member
Everytime I try the cut break the cueball goes off the table. I will try and use different english. Before I would hit center with cue stick off the head rail and muscle the break and pop the cue ball in the air. I will try the cut break and get a good spread on the balls.