--> Critique needed for my fundamentals <--

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
G'day to all,

I am Shaun from Singapore. I posted threads previously noting down my learning journey (can be found in this link: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=279597). However, I wanted to change my stance to suit pool more i.e. more clearance etc. compared to a snookered stance.

A slight intro, I started playing 2 years ago as a pass time but have developed a passion for the game... I have recently wanted to take my game up a higher notch and started to read books, "Mark Wilson's Play Great Pool", "Phil Capelle Pool Practice book" and "CJ Wiley's DVD set".

I have video myself in these 5 videos:

1) Open Angle + Alignment (Frontal):

http://www.youtube.com/embed/82ZjUHA1V7

2) Stance:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/gx_rNXUblNI

3) Playing for position:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/TaToJ_mQltM

4) Head Position:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/n9OBXjCJCgM

5) Open Angle:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/5R5WEh6UEYo

6) Dr. Dave's MOFUDAT
http:////www.youtube.com/embed/3hwFUh9xxKs

My own analysis would be:

1) As I am setting up with my back leg, I step sideways with my front foot which causes the misalignment in my upper arm, forearm and wrist.

I am not sure if my wrist position is affecting me as well.

2) I have an elevated cue...

3) Lack of timing in my stroking.

I have no follow-through. I also do not have the SPF, Set, Pause & Follow...

4) Grip is tightened at the end of the stroke as seen in my forearm.

5) I am more of using strength to shoot instead of contracting the bicep muscle? I have seen Scott's video of the same length pull back, but different speed in following through to achieve the 1- 10 speed.

6) Jabbing the cue ball...

Please feel free to critique...

Shaun

'It is acceptable for you to miss shots, as this is an integral part of the learning cycle. You must not interpret mistakes as a negative reflection of you as a person, as a bruise to your ego, or as an indication that you "just don't have enough natural ability" to play at a high level.'
-Mark Wilson

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
You saw most of what I did.

Big three things I think you should work on:

Your back hand is well behind perpendicular to start move it up.

Work on a level cue with SPF (Set, Pause and Finish)

Eye patterns, there have been a number of posts on this subject. You need to methodically direct your gaze from the cueball at ball address, to the object ball before you pull the trigger.

This and SPF will help you develop a consistent rhythm.

Fixing these will be a good start.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you and Tony both said.

As to your arm alignment, you won't be consistent shooting that way if you aren't already. Too many things you have to co-ordinate to keep the cue straight. And, the fact that you aren't doing it after two years, means that you won't do it. Time to change things up some.

Notice your elbow is way inside towards your body, and your forearm has to be angled out to be over the cue. Also, notice, that because you are trying to not drop your elbow, your cue will not go down the line you want it to naturally. What you are doing subconsciously, is moving your wrist to try and keep the cue straight. It's not working for you.

I suggest, since you seem to be in a pool room where a mirror is not likely to be present, to get the friend you had filming you to help you out. Start out with just putting the cue on the line that you want it to go down. Then, put your bridge hand in place without moving the angle of the cue. Then, while bent down, without grabbing the butt of the cue yet, get your shoulder over the cue. Then raise your back arm to get your elbow over the cue. When just hanging there, your hand should be right over the cue.

Now, shift your body around, or your feet around, to where you feel somewhat comfortable while keeping your arm alignment correct. Let your arm swing freely back and forth while your friend checks that you are staying right over the cue. If you aren't, time to adjust again.

When you get to where you can see the line correctly, and have your arm swing freely over the cue, then it is time to actually pick up the cue with your back hand and practice stroking the cue. You should be staying on the straight line you chose. If you are, freeze your body, while turning just your head just enough to see exactly how your feet are lined up with the cue. That is where you want your feet on every standard shot.

Your first video wasn't viewable. The second video, don't know if you had the cb and ob in the exact same place every time, but notice that your feet where in a different position each shot,

On the position video, not sure what you wanted us to see there. The cb ended up in a different place each shot. So, either you weren't going for the same position each shot, or you weren't hitting the cb the same each shot. ??

On the Dr. Dave drill, notice you did not hit the same spot on the rail each time. You did have very little to no spin on the cb. That means that you were not aligned properly. What appears to be happening, is that you are steering your cue due to poor alignment. Thereby not shooting down the line you are actually looking down.

There is also a problem of not starting out the same distance from the cb each time. When you were farther back than you intended to be, you didn't adjust your feet at all, just pushed the cue farther forward without adjusting anything else. That throws off your timing of the hit, and causes you to not hit the cb where you intended to. As shown in the shots where you were drawing the cb. Your setup was the same on most of the shots, but your draw varied greatly. That is also a problem with not having your forearm straight down at address as Tony mentioned.

Congrats on not being too proud to ask for help! Being too proud holds a lot of people back from improving. You are off to a good start, but need to tweak a few things. Keep on striving for your best! It will pay off.

Also, you seem to place a lot of importance on exactly where your back hand is on the cue. Worry more about your distance to the cb, which you can easily measure by just holding your cue over the spot you want it to be and then getting down. Your backhand actually needs to be farther forward than it is.

Don't overlook what Tony stated. Eye patterns are very important, as is slowing pulling the cue back, slight pause, then accelerate going forward. Your goal is not to hit the cb, but to stroke right through it. Look at it as the cb is just getting in the way of your complete stroke.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just like in many sports, the elbow what leads the forward motion.

You are doing a lot of things right. Try to get the feeling that you are hitting the cue ball with your elbow. Just like in many sports, the elbow is what leads the forward motion. You want to feel like all your acceleration is focussed precisely at impact. Releasing too soon is the plague of many players with potential.....yours could use improvement.

Play Well, the game is our teacher

G'day to all,

I am Shaun from Singapore. I posted threads previously noting down my learning journey (can be found in this link: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=279597). However, I wanted to change my stance to suit pool more i.e. more clearance etc. compared to a snookered stance.

A slight intro, I started playing 2 years ago as a pass time but have developed a passion for the game... I have recently wanted to take my game up a higher notch and started to read books, "Mark Wilson's Play Great Pool", "Phil Capelle Pool Practice book" and "CJ Wiley's DVD set".

I have video myself in these 5 videos:

1) Open Angle + Alignment (Frontal):

http://www.youtube.com/embed/82ZjUHA1V7

2) Stance:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/gx_rNXUblNI

3) Playing for position:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/TaToJ_mQltM

4) Head Position:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/n9OBXjCJCgM

5) Open Angle:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/5R5WEh6UEYo

6) Dr. Dave's MOFUDAT
http:////www.youtube.com/embed/3hwFUh9xxKs

My own analysis would be:

1) As I am setting up with my back leg, I step sideways with my front foot which causes the misalignment in my upper arm, forearm and wrist.

I am not sure if my wrist position is affecting me as well.

2) I have an elevated cue...

3) Lack of timing in my stroking.

I have no follow-through. I also do not have the SPF, Set, Pause & Follow...

4) Grip is tightened at the end of the stroke as seen in my forearm.

5) I am more of using strength to shoot instead of contracting the bicep muscle? I have seen Scott's video of the same length pull back, but different speed in following through to achieve the 1- 10 speed.

6) Jabbing the cue ball...

Please feel free to critique...

Shaun

'It is acceptable for you to miss shots, as this is an integral part of the learning cycle. You must not interpret mistakes as a negative reflection of you as a person, as a bruise to your ego, or as an indication that you "just don't have enough natural ability" to play at a high level.'
-Mark Wilson

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
What you and Tony both said.

As to your arm alignment, you won't be consistent shooting that way if you aren't already. Too many things you have to co-ordinate to keep the cue straight. And, the fact that you aren't doing it after two years, means that you won't do it. Time to change things up some.

Notice your elbow is way inside towards your body, and your forearm has to be angled out to be over the cue. Also, notice, that because you are trying to not drop your elbow, your cue will not go down the line you want it to naturally. What you are doing subconsciously, is moving your wrist to try and keep the cue straight. It's not working for you.

I suggest, since you seem to be in a pool room where a mirror is not likely to be present, to get the friend you had filming you to help you out. Start out with just putting the cue on the line that you want it to go down. Then, put your bridge hand in place without moving the angle of the cue. Then, while bent down, without grabbing the butt of the cue yet, get your shoulder over the cue. Then raise your back arm to get your elbow over the cue. When just hanging there, your hand should be right over the cue.

Now, shift your body around, or your feet around, to where you feel somewhat comfortable while keeping your arm alignment correct. Let your arm swing freely back and forth while your friend checks that you are staying right over the cue. If you aren't, time to adjust again.

When you get to where you can see the line correctly, and have your arm swing freely over the cue, then it is time to actually pick up the cue with your back hand and practice stroking the cue. You should be staying on the straight line you chose. If you are, freeze your body, while turning just your head just enough to see exactly how your feet are lined up with the cue. That is where you want your feet on every standard shot.

Your first video wasn't viewable. The second video, don't know if you had the cb and ob in the exact same place every time, but notice that your feet where in a different position each shot,

On the position video, not sure what you wanted us to see there. The cb ended up in a different place each shot. So, either you weren't going for the same position each shot, or you weren't hitting the cb the same each shot. ??

On the Dr. Dave drill, notice you did not hit the same spot on the rail each time. You did have very little to no spin on the cb. That means that you were not aligned properly. What appears to be happening, is that you are steering your cue due to poor alignment. Thereby not shooting down the line you are actually looking down.

There is also a problem of not starting out the same distance from the cb each time. When you were farther back than you intended to be, you didn't adjust your feet at all, just pushed the cue farther forward without adjusting anything else. That throws off your timing of the hit, and causes you to not hit the cb where you intended to. As shown in the shots where you were drawing the cb. Your setup was the same on most of the shots, but your draw varied greatly. That is also a problem with not having your forearm straight down at address as Tony mentioned.

Congrats on not being too proud to ask for help! Being too proud holds a lot of people back from improving. You are off to a good start, but need to tweak a few things. Keep on striving for your best! It will pay off.

Also, you seem to place a lot of importance on exactly where your back hand is on the cue. Worry more about your distance to the cb, which you can easily measure by just holding your cue over the spot you want it to be and then getting down. Your backhand actually needs to be farther forward than it is.

Don't overlook what Tony stated. Eye patterns are very important, as is slowing pulling the cue back, slight pause, then accelerate going forward. Your goal is not to hit the cb, but to stroke right through it. Look at it as the cb is just getting in the way of your complete stroke.

Thank you so much for spending time to critique me Neil. I will work on the above mentioned points.

By the way, I was using a gopro so no one was actually filming me...

Shaun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
You are doing a lot of things right. Try to get the feeling that you are hitting the cue ball with your elbow. Just like in many sports, the elbow is what leads the forward motion. You want to feel like all your acceleration is focussed precisely at impact. Releasing too soon is the plague of many players with potential.....yours could use improvement.

Play Well, the game is our teacher

Hello CJ,

I will take that into consideration, I hope when your dvd arrives it'll be a great asset ;)

Shaun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Shaun,

I would like to see you actually shooting pool.

I would find it most helpful if you can record yourself doing the following: Throw out 9 balls and take ball in hand on the one ball and try to run them in order --- or if you're not comfortable doing that, just throw them all out on to the table and try to run the table in any order.

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
Hi Shaun,

I would like to see you actually shooting pool.

I would find it most helpful if you can record yourself doing the following: Throw out 9 balls and take ball in hand on the one ball and try to run them in order --- or if you're not comfortable doing that, just throw them all out on to the table and try to run the table in any order.

Hi Fran,

Great to see you chipping in! Been long since we last chatted. I will do just that, just give me some time.

What do you think of this layout?

Shaun

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
uploadfromtaptalk1419705033976.jpg

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk