List of Living 200+ Runners

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Presently on the "possibles" list, Carlos Viera has run over 200 on a few occasions.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1983 World Open 14.1 New York City, Aug 13-20.

64 players.

1st Steve Miserak 10000
2nd Jimmy fusco 5000
3rd Grady Mattews 2000
4th Ray Martin 2000
5-6 Jim Rempe, Mike Sigel 1500
7-8 Allen Hopkins, Dallas West 1000
9-12 Cigar Tom Vanover, Tom Ruocco, Bjorn Lorange 750.

I know Tom Vanover highest run is 164 or 168, so he didnt quite make it.

I dont know about Ruocco or Bjorn Lorange, all the others are in!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thank you Stu. List is updated and there is a small 'remembrances' section added.

Frank's name was McGown, not McGowan. He is a lesser known superstar of 14.1.

Here's an excerpt form his obit:

Frank W. McGown was a former New York state champion who, during the course of his career, beat Wimpy Lassiter, Onofrio Lauri, Harold Worst, Mike Euphemia and Lou Butera. He was a regularly top finisher in world competition, and once ran 150 and out against Joe "Meatman" Balsis.

I saw Frank play on a few occasions in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Known as much for his slow play as his excellence, he was a great technician at the table. I believe that Frank was one of Jean Balukas' early influences in the 1960's when he was a business partner of Al Balukas (Jean's dad) in their Brooklyn poolroom.

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Frank W. McGown was a former New York state champion who, during the course of his career, beat Wimpy Lassiter, Onofrio Lauri, Harold Worst, Mike Euphemia and Lou Butera. He was a regularly top finisher in world competition, and once ran 150 and out against Joe "Meatman" Balsis.

I saw Frank play on a few occasions in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Known as much for his slow play as his excellence, he was a great technician at the table. I believe that Frank was one of Jean Balukas' early influences in the 1960's when he was a business partner of Al Balukas (Jean's dad) in their Brooklyn poolroom.

I thought Mike "Motor Mouth" Seigel was the first to run 150 and out in a world championship?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Back in the late 70's I was stationed at Malmstrom Air Force Base, just outside of Great Falls, MT. One year The Corner Pocket up there decided to bring in Frank McGown, former 14.1 champ, for an exhibition. Joannie, the manager, asked if I'd be willing to be the sitting duck and play him 125 points of straight pool, before McGown shot some trick shots. I said sure.

Well, I don't know what I was thinking. But I had seen Mosconi do his exhibition several times before. And I kinda suspected that McGown would follow the usual routine for these affairs and show up in a suit, or a coat and tie. So, for reasons that are still unclear to me today, I decided that the appropriate thing for me to do in this situation was to also wear a suit. The only problem was that, at the time, I only owned one suit. It was a perfectly fine suit: a three-piece; in light gray; white shirt; bright red tie. Think Bond. James Bond.

So it's time for the exhibition. There's a room full of people around one table and McGown comes in, and I don't know, he takes one look at me -- three-piece suit; in light gray; white shirt; bright red tie -- and he kinda goes catatonic or something. I guess it would be like going out duck hunting and the first duck you see flies by in a tux.

Well, somehow I get the first shot. Clearly, I've thrown Frank off his game.

I start to run the balls. I get into the second rack. And then the third. Frank goes to the bathroom. I get into the fourth rack, have run 48, and the balls are *wide open* and then comes the shot that I still remember today: a little baby two ball combination on the rail behind the rack that, as Danny McGoorty would have said, a drunk Girl Scout could've made if you held her up to the table long enough.

And I took it for granted and I hung up the ball.

I was told afterwards, by a friend who went into the bathroom at that point, that McGown was in there washing his hands. When my buddy told him that I had just missed, McGown went, "He missed?!" And McGown comes flying out and quickly proceeds to make a dish of shredded duck ala Lou, with an 80-something run and then a 50-something.

And that's it. 30 years later I still remember that match and that little baby two ball combo on the rail behind the rack.

Frank sort of took a liking to me and invited me to play him in a 9ball exhibition in Missoula a few months later. Frank was slow and methodical and not flashy at all but he got the job done.

Lou Figueroa

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I thought Mike "Motor Mouth" Seigel was the first to run 150 and out in a world championship?

Always a tricky subject here on the forum. For example, many consider the Johnston City events in the 1960's to be World Championships, others do not.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Back in the late 70's I was stationed at Malmstrom Air Force Base, just outside of Great Falls, MT. One year The Corner Pocket up there decided to bring in Frank McGown, former 14.1 champ, for an exhibition. Joannie, the manager, asked if I'd be willing to be the sitting duck and play him 125 points of straight pool, before McGown shot some trick shots. I said sure.

Well, I don't know what I was thinking. But I had seen Mosconi do his exhibition several times before. And I kinda suspected that McGown would follow the usual routine for these affairs and show up in a suit, or a coat and tie. So, for reasons that are still unclear to me today, I decided that the appropriate thing for me to do in this situation was to also wear a suit. The only problem was that, at the time, I only owned one suit. It was a perfectly fine suit: a three-piece; in light gray; white shirt; bright red tie. Think Bond. James Bond.

So it's time for the exhibition. There's a room full of people around one table and McGown comes in, and I don't know, he takes one look at me -- three-piece suit; in light gray; white shirt; bright red tie -- and he kinda goes catatonic or something. I guess it would be like going out duck hunting and the first duck you see flies by in a tux.

I start to run the balls. I get into the second rack. And then the third. Frank goes to the bathroom. I get into the fourth rack, have run 48, and the balls are *wide open* and then comes the shot that I still remember today: a little baby two ball combination on the rail behind the rack that, as Danny McGoorty would have said, a drunk Girl Scout could've made if you held her up to the table long enough.

I was told afterwards, by a friend who went into the bathroom at that point, that McGown was in there washing his hands. When my buddy told him that I had just missed, McGown went, "He missed?!" And McGown comes flying out and quickly proceeds to make a dish of shredded duck ala Lou, with an 80-something run and then a 50-something.

And that's it. 30 years later I still remember that match and that little baby two ball combo on the rail behind the rack.

Frank sort of took a liking to me and invited me to play him in a 9ball exhibition in Missoula a few months later. Frank was slow and methodical and not flashy at all but he got the job done.

Lou Figueroa

Yup, Frank was a stone cold killer. He didn't overpower the table like a Lassiter or a Balsis, but he had some Nick Varner in him and was one of the guys whose game was worth studying.

Thanks for sharing the story.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Thks for the great story. There aren't enough of them in this forum.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Ivo Aarts ran 210 last friday in league, he ran 100-and-out and kept going.
He's only 21 or 22 so he still has time to work on his game a little more:wink:

gr. Dave

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about Jean Balukas, Jeanet Lee and Alison Fisher? Have any of them cleared 200 balls yet?

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In their practices at Steinway Billiards on Sunday, 8/18, Shane Van Boening ran 211 and Jayson Shaw ran 276.

I came looking for this post as I was surprised to see both SVB and Jayson on the list. They clearly have the talent. I didn't think they played enough 14.1 to get to a 200 ball run.

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
I dont know if this was posted but;

61. Leonard "Dick" Leonard may be the only one posted that run 100 both left and right handed