Paying pool tournaments

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
849.14 Unlawful to bet on result of trial or contest of skill, etc... NO CALCUTTA'S

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 Windows mobile phone using Board Express

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
Cool thanks
InGenPool can handle up to 128 players and 16 or 32 tables, can't remember which. It can be used over time to handicap races and keeps players in a database for the next tournament.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 Windows mobile phone using Board Express

partytime

Registered
Do not do what this place called the Green Room in Baltimore does. They take out around a 3rd of the prize money and also take out a percentage from any Calcutta they have. They don't appreciate the money and customers that it brings in. The tournament loses more and more people each week. I wish you luck and hope that you have a great turnout.

zeeblebrox01

Registered
lower payout....

What a read...so let me add a players' perspective about a calcutta. I'm disappointed in the view that the lessor players can't win (from scott lee) so we should not have a calcutta. The idea of the tourney is winning against the other players no matter the skill level. Along with winning comes getting paid. The calcutta is a means to add to the payout. It stands to reason that more money means more, and better players. It also attracts bettors, railbirds, and spectators which is more customers in the pool room or bar having the tourney. This increases the room's revenue which can allow for it to "add" cash to the tourney. And more cash= more players!

It shouldn't detract lessor skilled players-it should energize them to be better.
The lessor skilled players should have the goal of getting better, while the higher skilled players would like to be rewarded for their efforts of being better. As a 'b' player, when I get to a tourney with a calcutta, I know I'm not the favorite to win because of the 'a' players in the room. But that becomes an incentive for me to play harder and beat those 'a' players to get a shot at not only the cash, but accomplishment of "being the best" so to speak.
A fair(?) alternative is to handicap the tourney. This way, the lessor skilled have a shot at winning also.I have been to many tourneys that are handicapped, and most of the time, provided the director knows the skill levels of the players involved it comes out fair. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I do know that NASCAR doesn't let the slow cars get a couple of laps in before jjimmy johnson and tony stewart hit the track!

Calcuttas by the way, are illegal EVERYWHERE. It's nothing more than gambling. So are football squares and college basketball brackets-but every march even the president fills out his picks for the NCAA tourney (not handicapped by the way). Calcuttas ADD money to the PLAYERS" pockets, and to the ROOM OWNERS pockets. If there was two tourneys going on simultaneously in two bars directly across the street from one another, and one had a calcutta and the other didn't....which tourney would have more players in it?

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
Florida has issues with money as a prize for anything. .. they link it into gambling.

But.

They don't seem to have as much issue with non monetary prizes.

Figure up how much the tourney prize will be and buy a cue to be the prize.

I've often sold cues to tournament's as prize awards, and I offer a generous discount to have my business name and logo displayed. This way, you get alot more cue for the money you have and everyone wins.

Danny Kuykendal

Danny K
Silver Member
I've run tournaments for 20 years using this format:
Single elimination, race to your handicap (using a ten point system)
13$ tournament fees, and 5 goes to the director and the rest to the tournament pot. He makes good money and the players are all happy. We make nothing but food and beverage, but usually it pans out well. 5 tourneys a week, avg about 22 players in each.