Earl imploding in the World Pool Masrers

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
I would LOVE to hear Earl as a commentator. Especially in 9 ball events.

Earl understands things most can't even start to think about.....sure, he's out there most of the time but, if a person knows enough about the game they can read between the lines in Earl's rants and learn all kinds of stuff....

Earl Strickland, in his prime, was ahead of his time by far more than anyone else ever has been in pool.

That would be a fantastic idea. As much thought as he has put into this game it would be incredible to hear his ongoing thoughts. Way better then these guys in the "who are they" category talking about what they would do.

And folks, That I would pay to see that and I'm sure millions would to..

BTW the kid holding up his hand and blowing off Earl.

Seriously, this is to be supported? A kid disrespecting one of pools greats, or if you will just an elder? Sorry but no sport needs a kid like this much less this one.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I would LOVE to hear Earl as a commentator. Especially in 9 ball events.

Earl understands things most can't even start to think about.....sure, he's out there most of the time but, if a person knows enough about the game they can read between the lines in Earl's rants and learn all kinds of stuff....

Earl Strickland, in his prime, was ahead of his time by far more than anyone else ever has been in pool.

Like you said, he's getting old. Then again, everyone does but, not everyone is Earl.

As far as I'm concerned, pool will ALWAYS need Earl.

That would be a fantastic idea. As much thought as he has put into this game it would be incredible to hear his ongoing thoughts. Way better then these guys in the "who are they" category talking about what they would do.

And folks, That I would pay to see that and I'm sure millions would to..

BTW the kid holding up his hand and blowing off Earl.

Seriously, this is to be supported? A kid disrespecting one of pools greats, or if you will just an elder? Sorry but no sport needs a kid like this much less this one.

Earl has done some fine commentating.....and can be a pleasure to talk to in a pool hall...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZBxHVOmRaE

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. I hope you understand if I don't "Listen" to the whole hour and 15 minute sneak video that was made while the man was in a private place namely a pool hall with others were playing around him and not with children visible.

So I'm going with OMG he swore in a pool hall. How could he be so rude in such a hallowed place. He should be banned from public eye and be cast into the dungeon for the rest of his natural life. Please note the sarcasm.

BTW, I think it's a little concerning that someone would listen to the whole thing just to catch the swear words.

don't really care what you do. you asked for video proof against your rather ignorant assertion that earl never swore and when provided with it you get butthurt. and there's no need for concern since anyone with a modicum of intelligence knows how to scroll through a video..

this "private place" was a professional tournament and the "others playing around him" are world pros, some of whom later attested to having been disturbed and disgusted by his behaviour.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
don't really care what you do. you asked for video proof against your rather ignorant assertion that earl never swore and when provided with it you get butthurt. and there's no need for concern since anyone with a modicum of intelligence knows how to scroll through a video..

this "private place" was a professional tournament and the "others playing around him" are world pros, some of whom later attested to having been disturbed and disgusted by his behaviour.

If his sentence is you blabbing nonsense...then I'd say Earl has served his time.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just saw the interview.

1st thought is wow, these young guys really take it well. Earl said similar things to and about Shane. So he might really respect the kid. And he's right, Kaci is only 20ish. And has a long way to go before he tops off. Can't wait to see that.

2nd, Earl needs to learn about layering. Look at the girls wearing compression tops under their sports jersey. And Earl does keep that bridge hand covered up (lol).

3rd, as far as losing his poo and going off, this was nothing as far as Earl goes (not defending it, just an observation).

4th, he's right about the spectators. They shouldn't be moving much during the pre shot through to the finish of a player's stroke.

5th, as for the comment of the cue breaking. We've all been there. And the point with the tennis player is true.

6th, Earl was the best at one time and still plays at a level far above most of the greats. He has earned some right to respect.

So as far as is he good for the game, sure. We need our Pool Gods to inspire us to Greatness. Is pool better because of Ear Strickland, yes. He has shown us what is possible on the table.

PS.

I wonder if maybe he is only playing the role of "Bad Guy" like the wrestling industry. Imagine if Kaci responded with a prompt, "OK, I'm not great. Let's put $20K each, race 3 sets to 21 in a warm room and see how Not A Great I Am."

Would of made a lot of money on the streaming site.

Maybe Earl wanted that response instead so they could both get a big payday. We all know that on the table Earl is a genius. Maybe off the table he really is too. Just food for thought (not everything is ad it always seems)...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Old men should not leave the house without a sweater.

My favorite line in the entire thread! Made me laugh, thanks.

By the way, did anyone else notice how young Earl looks for 58? More like 45. I do know that he exercises more than most of the young guys. I've heard him say he runs several miles every day and I believe it. He still looks slim and trim. If he could somehow cure his inner demons he might actually be able to play high level pool again. That would really be something. For me the saddest thing is to watch him play now and see him miss so many shots. I remember Earl in his prime and he had such a beautiful game, the way he worked that cue ball around the table and popped those balls in like sitting ducks. He would go through a rack like a hot knife through butter, and just as fast too! Break and run, break and run, on and on, rack after rack. He revolutionized tournament 9-Ball!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

By the way, did anyone else notice how young Earl looks for 58? More like 45. I do know that he exercises more than most of the young guys. I've heard him say he runs several miles every day and I believe it. He still looks slim and trim. If he could somehow cure his inner demons he might actually be able to play high level pool again. That would really be something. For me the saddest thing is to watch him play now and see him miss so many shots. I remember Earl in his prime and he had such a beautiful game, the way he worked that cue ball around the table and popped those balls in like sitting ducks. He would go through a rack like a hot knife through butter, and just as fast too! Break and run, break and run, on and on, rack after rack. He revolutionized tournament 9-Ball!
I agree somewhat. I still think his days of any hi-level tournament play are over. He once played at SUCH a high level that the competitor in him just can not deal with the erosion of skills. I almost hope he wasn't going to the Open just to avoid another one of these dumpster-fires. Its just like watching Ali fight too long. Not pretty.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
Kaci did not insult or scoff at Earl. That is a language issue. I've seen this before, especially with Albanians. They take it very literally.

So, in his mind, his definition and their understanding, HERO is a strong word. It used to be in English too, until it got overused and misapplied over the decades.

To other peoples, a hero is what a hero used to mean.

Kaci actually corrected the matter and the commentator, and called Earl his inspiration. That is more accurate.

Idol would have been another better term.

So the newbie to English, schooled the Englishmen. The crowd did the laughing, which further embarrasses them and shows their ignorance.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Kaci did not insult or scoff at Earl. That is a language issue. I've seen this before, especially with Albanians. They take it very literally.

So, in his mind, his definition and their understanding, HERO is a strong word. It used to be in English too, until it got overused and misapplied over the decades.

To other peoples, a hero is what a hero used to mean.

Kaci actually corrected the matter and the commentator, and called Earl his inspiration. That is more accurate.

Idol would have been another better term.

So the newbie to English, schooled the Englishmen. The crowd did the laughing, which further embarrasses them and shows their ignorance.

That’s an excellent point, IMO

Although I got a bone to pick with you in another thread.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My impression of Earl is when his game started to slip a little he tried to compensate with the weights, tape, tennis grip, long cue etc. If he would throw all that junk in the trash can and just play pool he would be better off. He wouldn't be at the same speed he was in his prime but Earl slightly below top speed is still a heck of a player.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
pills

I have read that Earl tried medication to control his outbursts long ago. I have to take pills for other things, not my head. The result is the same though, a little dull, not quite sharp, not quite fully alert. I can bang balls around like this just fine but if I am playing someone healthy and alert even, it is like giving them a several ball spot. Now consider if playing pool was my living and I had to give Efren, Shane, all of the best, a two ball spot.

That is the problem with medications for Earl and many older players. The things that control blood pressure and other conditions often work in the brain. They have side effects. Mild side effects the average person doesn't notice, a competitor does. People that can't control their nerves like beta blockers, I absolutely hated them. It was like walking up to the starting line for a foot race half asleep.

I doubt anyone has tried harder to fix themselves than Earl has. It can be a lot easier said than done. Willpower alone won't get it done. Medication might work but leave him unable to compete effectively. I suspect he goes to most events telling himself this time he will just focus on the table and play his game. Inevitably pressures build, often to an eruption.

No easy answers. Kinda hard to ask someone who was the best in the world and still isn't that far from it to not compete. Hard to watch him disrupt competitions too. So many of us cross our fingers and hope not this time, as I suspect Earl does.

Hu

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I have to say that we as pool fans are very fortunate to have seen Earl play the game. One day he will no longer be with us and we will just have stories both good and bad. There will never be another Earl.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have read that Earl tried medication to control his outbursts long ago. I have to take pills for other things, not my head. The result is the same though, a little dull, not quite sharp, not quite fully alert. I can bang balls around like this just fine but if I am playing someone healthy and alert even, it is like giving them a several ball spot. Now consider if playing pool was my living and I had to give Efren, Shane, all of the best, a two ball spot.

That is the problem with medications for Earl and many older players. The things that control blood pressure and other conditions often work in the brain. They have side effects. Mild side effects the average person doesn't notice, a competitor does. People that can't control their nerves like beta blockers, I absolutely hated them. It was like walking up to the starting line for a foot race half asleep.

I doubt anyone has tried harder to fix themselves than Earl has. It can be a lot easier said than done. Willpower alone won't get it done. Medication might work but leave him unable to compete effectively. I suspect he goes to most events telling himself this time he will just focus on the table and play his game. Inevitably pressures build, often to an eruption.

No easy answers. Kinda hard to ask someone who was the best in the world and still isn't that far from it to not compete. Hard to watch him disrupt competitions too. So many of us cross our fingers and hope not this time, as I suspect Earl does.

Hu

ronnie o'sullivan was on antidepressants for years. i don't know if he still is but he won atleast one wc on them. it shouldn't affect the aim.

maybe a different diagnosis with earl though. no point speculating either.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Being a sore loser is a mental condition?
Otherwise earl has the most functional mental illness I've ever seen.
Someone said bi-polar lol. Funny how it only manifest itself when he's losing. All Earl would have to do is quit playing to cure his "mental illness. Millions of people in the world, who are bi-polar that wish that they could just do something as simple, as quit playing a game, in order to fix their condition.
Earl doesn't like winning anymore. Earl likes finding excuse of all kinds, so he has a REASON to lose.
Winning is tough plain and simple.
Earl is simply a pussy, and a disrespectful nit at that.
You couldn't pay me to take a pic with him, or shake his hand, and I've been around him plenty.

Why don't you tell that to Earl to his face when you see him again???

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Correct but, how many today are equal to Earl's prime?

I've been around Earl enough to know:

He compares EVERYONE'S game to HIS prime.

His prime. That's a HUGE goal to reach that most, even players like Kaci..... may never get there.

Regardless of what folks think about him today, the man IMO....done as much for pool, especially 9 ball than any other "player" on the planet.....with the exception of a "couple" Philippino players that I've played over the years.

Rake

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
With great talent sometimes come a great burden

027A5683-3EE3-4A1B-AB08-92C7ACCB45B7.jpeg

A07F0EE2-201E-4B1C-9655-8F0547ECF767.jpeg

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
more mental focus

ronnie o'sullivan was on antidepressants for years. i don't know if he still is but he won atleast one wc on them. it shouldn't affect the aim.

maybe a different diagnosis with earl though. no point speculating either.

True that there is no point speculating about somebody else's medical condition and medications, really no point in this thread but here we go! Nobody's condition is exactly identical nor do different medications affect all people the same. I had to take some pills that it took me close to a year to get used to. I started to say the heck with it and chunk those pills many a time before I got fairly functional on them.

Earl's lack of tolerance for stress makes me suspect some things beyond his control. However, all of my sympathy and tolerance could dry up in a hurry if it is a woman or child receiving the focuse of his ire at close range.

Those that think his actions are his choice have every reason to dislike him. Those like myself who think his actions aren't really his choice can hate his behavior while feeling sympathy for the man.

Hu