free pool room

zx24

Cue Maker Apprentice
Silver Member
Thers is a free pool room in charleston sc... Its called tuckers..7 9' tables and a bar box....Free pool, Free Drinks and free snacks..no charge what so ever.. this is no joke...

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member
Thers is a free pool room in charleston sc... Its called tuckers..7 9' tables and a bar box....Free pool, Free Drinks and free snacks..no charge what so ever.. this is no joke...

I see a flaw in their business model.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
I see a flaw in their business model.

ditto. And we wonder why pool rooms keep going under. It is probably a tactic to draw business and when they have to charge it will shift to whoever is cheapest in town. Would love to see a copy of the plan they submitted to the bank or SBA for their business loan.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Eldrige just rolled over in his grave. I may have to move back! Tuckers has been in busness at the prestent location for 30 years and I don't know how long it was at Montague. I knew Tracy in high school. She is no dummy. Somehow they are making a buck out of this I am sure!

Larry

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it's the nickle games in the back room.

Always remember all you room owners. It takes 5 seconds to lower your prices. It takes 5 years to raise them.

For all of you that are charging $2 - $5 an hour, it's not the price that makes the differerce. It's something else. Your room, the economy, location, competition, market........

It's not price. If you satisfy the need you get the business. You're gonna have to do something harder than cutting your price if your business is hurting. If you want ideas LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS and swallow some pride.

I might be wrong but were't there like 100 times more pool hall during the great depression than there are now? HOW COME?? How did all the pool greats back then make a living if there weren't any pool halls? How did they afford to get great? Where did the money come from to get great.

There's always buyers for the right stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: LWW

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it's the nickle games in the back room.

Always remember all you room owners. It takes 5 seconds to lower your prices. It takes 5 years to raise them.

For all of you that are charging $2 - $5 an hour, it's not the price that makes the differerce. It's something else. Your room, the economy, location, competition, market........

It's not price. If you satisfy the need you get the business. You're gonna have to do something harder than cutting your price if your business is hurting. If you want ideas LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS and swallow some pride.

I might be wrong but were't there like 100 times more pool hall during the great depression than there are now? HOW COME?? How did all the pool greats back then make a living if there weren't any pool halls? How did they afford to get great? Where did the money come from to get great.

There's always buyers for the right stuff.

There were more than likely 500 times more Pool rooms back then. Why ?
NO TV or video games. Nobody was working either so younger males had to hang somewhere. Pool was pretty cheap but where did they get even the meager money necessary to play if they weren't working? Same place these guys today who dont work but still manage to play and gamble on top of it get it today. I think it's smoke and mirrors but im not sure.

"Always remember all you room owners. It takes 5 seconds to lower your prices. It takes 5 years to raise them."

What is that suppose to mean? I see prices increase a bit faster than that-like instantly!

Last edited:

zx24

Cue Maker Apprentice
Silver Member
montague

Eldrige just rolled over in his grave. I may have to move back! Tuckers has been in busness at the prestent location for 30 years and I don't know how long it was at Montague. I knew Tracy in high school. She is no dummy. Somehow they are making a buck out of this I am sure!

Larry

tuckers was never on montague..Old tucker was at corner of remount and rivers ave.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
I've been hearing about alot of pool rooms/ bars doing the same thing trying to make it on berr and food sales with free table time all day.

Craig

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were more than likely 500 times more Pool rooms back then. Why ?
NO TV or video games. Nobody was working either so younger males had to hang somewhere. Pool was pretty cheap but where did they get even the meager money necessary to play if they weren't working? Same place these guys today who dont work but still manage to play and gamble on top of it get it today. I think it's smoke and mirrors but im not sure.

"Always remember all you room owners. It takes 5 seconds to lower your prices. It takes 5 years to raise them."

What is that suppose to mean? I see prices increase a bit faster than that-like instantly!

Unfortunately the Pool Business is not profitable anymore. POOL HALLS are struggling. NIGHT CLUBS are doing better. It's no longer the Pool business its the Entertainment business. It's like the Railroads years ago figured out they weren't in the railroad business there were in the transportation business.

Lowering prices is the easiest thing in the world to do and I'd suspect if that's all thats done at a pool hall they will not see more business only less profit. Sure we all see prices rise but thats generally from market pressures supply and demand. I agree there are market pressures in this business but I'd look somewhere else first before lowering prices. Are you looking at the market? What is your competition charging for an hour of entertainment? Competition is not just the pool halls.

The first requirement is to get someone to walk into your room. If they aint walking in you aint getting nothing. What are you doing to get them in? What I see all the time is the owner monkeying around with their prices and doing nothing else to promote the business. They don't even tell anyone much less advertise the fact. They just scrape the number off the sign and put new numbers.

Joel Chue

Billiard Enthusiast, custom cue & memorbilia
Silver Member
Tuckers

Tucker's is on Ashley Phospate Rd. It has been there for years.....

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Amen 3Kushion....

I do not know a SINGLE pool room owner that profits off of pool. It is through alcohol, poker machines, unmentionable activities, food, retail sales...etc.

Last edited:

zx24

Cue Maker Apprentice
Silver Member
free

I've been hearing about alot of pool rooms/ bars doing the same thing trying to make it on berr and food sales with free table time all day.

Craig

Tuckers is 100% FREE.. Pool is free..He sells nothing..Drinks are free, snacks are free..
Free Free Free

zx24

Cue Maker Apprentice
Silver Member
Free

Amen 3Kushion....

I do not know a SINGLE pool room owner that profits off of pool. It is through alcohol, poker machines, unmentionable activities, food, retail sales...etc.

Tuckers has no alcohol...No Poker machines...No Unmentional activities of any kind...
Free.....Free.....Free.....Free.....

speedi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Larry

Since I am an old "coot", I remember that Eldridge was a great source for supplies and equipment for people that repaired and/or built their own tables. You can still buy slate and other hard to get items from his firm.
He was also an expert in table repair and installation and was featured in a well written woodworking article in the 1980's, where he explained how to recover rails and slate.

zx24

Cue Maker Apprentice
Silver Member
retail

Since I am an old "coot", I remember that Eldridge was a great source for supplies and equipment for people that repaired and/or built their own tables. You can still buy slate and other hard to get items from his firm.
He was also an expert in table repair and installation and was featured in a well written woodworking article in the 1980's, where he explained how to recover rails and slate.

tuckers retail sales is way off.. theres just no loose money..he has a table recover every now and then...and some cue repair....
its a great place to go knock some balls around for free...
he has a 10' gold crown3 pool table that plays real tough...a great 1 pocket practice table..

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member

As much of an expert as he might have been his greatest gift was his story telling of times gone by. I used to just hang out with him on Sat. mornings just to watch him do repairs and tell stories.

Larry

zx24

Cue Maker Apprentice
Silver Member
movie

There is this guy who is trying to put together a movie about tucker and his friend bill brown who made a road trip to mexico one time backe in 56..He has been working on it since before tucker passed...We all hope it comes about..

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This what my Son [Who live in Charleston,SC area] have to say

Yes it is true.............. however, Tucker's is not a pool hall. It is a billiard supply store that sells cues, tables, and etc. Also, they are only opened to about 6pm.

zx24

Cue Maker Apprentice
Silver Member
pool hall

This what my Son [Who live in Charleston,SC area] have to say

Yes it is true.............. however, Tucker's is not a pool hall. It is a billiard supply store that sells cues, tables, and etc. Also, they are only opened to about 6pm.

there are no show tables to sell in tuckers, and he does have a selection of about 10 cues to choose from..he does sell some billiard supplies also...matter of fact, he sold a box of chalk today...he has 7 9' tables and 1 7' table...people play on them all day every day..i was playing $10 one hole till 8:00 this evening..if it isnt a pool room, what is it?