Restored to Perfection?

youngstownkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the quick version story of my awful weekend:

Two weeks ago Bill Smith posted about a table for sale for 6k that he had access to that was restored to perfection. Before I could get much more information he posted that it was sold.

I have access to this VERY RARE beautifully restored, Brunswick Alexandria 4'6" x 9'-0" pool tale.

It's located in the Chicago area.

The pictures do not do it justice!

This is a SUPER price for this table!

5d5db70c3e001cf2498d9fc9a47191ad.jpg

I should of asked at least 8K, it's priced to go quick! Restored to perfection!

Then last week I saw the same table posted by Bob Briskey on Facebook for 5k.

5a63af98fab544d081499ce8564b5aac.jpg

So apparently the deal fell through and then Bob decided to lower the price by a thousand. I reached out to Bob and learned that he was a realtor and the table is in a house that he sold which closes on Monday. The sellers said that he could do whatever with the table, so he was trying to sell it, but also considered keeping it himself. He also was considering giving it to the new homeowners as a housewarning gift if he couldn't get a worthwhile deal. Bob and I make a gentlemen's agreement that I would come check it out and if it's as advertised, I would give him 3k to take it home.

Check out the pictures for yourself. Based on the comments by Bill, I was expecting this table to be in excellent shape, I just wasn't sure how well it would play even after being perfectly restored.

My friend Jamie and I made extremely last minute plans to go get this table. We met Bob at the house with the moving truck, went in the basement to check out the table.

Upon a closer look, the large leg veneers were split along almost all the corners, there were several cracks down the middle, and the bottom corners were almost all rotting away. When we took the cover off the table ever single rail was split by the corner pockets. A couple of the blinds were being held on by a single screw. One of the corner pocket pieces had both end pieces broken off where the bolt threads are. Several copper rail protector sleeves were missing.

Then we took the felt off to inspect the slate. Each piece of the slate was cracked in multiple places and near the corner pockets the layers were separating. Someone had tried using Bondo to repair it, but it was not smooth or level in many places, and the pieces did not meet level at the seams.

The trip cost me about $1000, my identity got stolen during our travels, and I got home at 4am this morning. Essentially, this trip was to refelt a pool table for a new homeowner whom I've never met. For free.

Bob paid for the felt, but never offered Jamie and me and money for our trouble. However, he gave me some very valueable information by accident - During one of our conversations over the weekend, Bob told me that he never listed the table for 6k. He also told me that Bill Smith never came to look at the table, which surprised me because I thought he lived in or near Chicago since he said he had access to the table, and had been raving about the table, how it was restored to perfection and how the pictures do not do it justice...

Think about that really hard and tell me what that means to you.

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Perhaps Bill Smith discovered the table was not as represented and backed out of the flip by simply stating it was sold.

Did you mention the $6K listing on AZB to Bob Briskey before renting the truck and making the trip?

Guessing you were still interested in the table once you arrived and saw the apparent damage, otherwise why remove the cloth to inspect the slate?

Your time is lost forever, but I sure do hope you can get some of your capitol back on the next one.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Bill Smith?...yeah, that doesn't sound at all like a made up name. Were you buying to keep the table or hoping to flip it like every other person in this story?

Any time you drop everything and run to what seems like a crazy good steal of a deal you are taking a chance. Nobody forced you to go, nobody owes you anything and real estate agents are generally antique pool table experts.

I've chased cars at times and sometimes you win big and sometimes you waste your time and money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As for the price ...., too good to be true? How much does a Monarch in decent condition sell for? Use this as another learning experience. Money lost to travel.... consider it a bad night at the track.

Realtors .....some very professional ....some professional shiiit merchants.

Last edited:

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless the second seller made representations about condition outside of the text in the ad shown above, there is nothing in the ad that addresses says anything good, bad, or otherwise.

You may have done this, but when making a significant purchase it's a good idea to request detailed pictures. Some of the damage you describe may have been apparent in closer views.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless the second seller made representations about condition outside of the text in the ad shown above, there is nothing in the ad that addresses says anything good, bad, or otherwise.

You may have done this, but when making a significant purchase it's a good idea to request detailed pictures. Some of the damage you describe may have been apparent in closer views.

I have to agree.

After reading the story, I was stunned by the time, trouble, and money expended without any mention of requesting details, including and especially pictures.

In this age, pictures are such a simple thing and the quality of pics from a phone is more than enough.

If it was a cue, I would say the same thing. Why no detailed pictures?

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps Bill Smith discovered the table was not as represented and backed out of the flip by simply stating it was sold.

Did you mention the $6K listing on AZB to Bob Briskey before renting the truck and making the trip?

Guessing you were still interested in the table once you arrived and saw the apparent damage, otherwise why remove the cloth to inspect the slate?

Your time is lost forever, but I sure do hope you can get some of your capitol back on the next one.

It was listed as sold originally because I agreed to buy it. I couldn’t get to Chicago to look at the table myself because I’m busy flying and moving, but Bill Smith said he was going to have a “player” he knows look over the table, take pics, and play on it and report back. When I didn’t get pics or a report I backed out of the deal.

The table was listed as “Beautifully Restored”. I was mostly going by that and Bill said he’s been selling tables for a long time and never misrepresented or screwed anyone.
Bill’s not to happy with me, but if I bought that POS I’d be looking for Bill's head.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Bill Smith?...yeah, that doesn't sound at all like a made up name.
Bill Smith is his real name - his handle here (and on onepocket.org) is mr3cushion - and he did live in Chicago for a long time, but now lives in Florida (I think).

pj
chgo

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Been on a few wild goose chases myself!

When the table is listed as "restored" that is what would be expected. "Great shape for it's age" I would want very detailed pictures. This table obviously was not restored in any way shape or form. A furniture restoration would have made the woodwork perfect or near perfect with announced flaws. A full restoration would have found the bad slate.

You have every right to be annoyed!

Hu

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as mentioned, sadly this is a common occurrence with all kinds of products for sale....

detailed pictures and questions can help, but still doesn't guarantee the item wont be grossly misrepresented.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
When the table is listed as "restored" that is what would be expected. "Great shape for it's age" I would want very detailed pictures. This table obviously was not restored in any way shape or form. A furniture restoration would have made the woodwork perfect or near perfect with announced flaws. A full restoration would have found the bad slate.

You have every right to be annoyed!

Hu

Annoyed at who?

The seller did not claim restored.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As for the price ...., too good to be true? How much does a Monarch in decent condition sell for? Use this as another learning experience. Money lost to travel.... consider it a bad night at the track.

Realtors .....some very professional ....some professional shiiit merchants.

Gotta agree with this... good thing you went there yourself to check it out,
what if you had someone pick it up for you... you'd be out the 3K plus.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting little move

I fail to see where the owner of the table claimed it as restored.

Unless by some fluke there turns out to be two tables involved it is pretty obvious who claimed the table was restored and who created this mess. Seems like quite a move was tried and failed. The first flipper was going to be left out in the cold anyway. He is a poster and I had thought a well respected poster on this forum so I'm not sure what to make of this whole thing. Hopefully more to the story.

I have seen similar tables fully restored listing for $10,000-$15,000 so everyone involved might have gotten dollar signs in their eyes blinding them a bit.

Oddly enough, the real estate person seems to have been straightforward and honest. I know there are some honest people in real estate but sometimes they seem hard to find!

Hu