Directions to the Zone?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The Zone. For such a popular place it's awfully hard to find. I usually just find myself there like I was beamed down, and then some time later just kind of wake up, with no idea how it happened or how to make it happen again. It's clear that the ability to play at that higher level is within me, but equally, maddeningly clear that I can't summon it at will.

I find myself in The Zone more often now than before, and I've discovered and worked on some simple focusing techniques to make it more likely to happen - but I still have to try to coax it out of its hiding place rather than go directly to it.

From what I gather, that's true of everybody else too, but I'm hoping some of you are better at it than I am, or at least have some tips and techniques to share that I haven't thought of.

So spill it - how do you get there? Is it all about focus, or are there other identifying features of being in The Zone that might be followed like breadcrumbs to its secret location?

pj <- waiting, like Smorg, with bait on my breath
chgo

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The Zone. For such a popular place it's awfully hard to find. I usually just find myself there like I was beamed down, and then some time later just kind of wake up, with no idea how it happened or how to make it happen again. It's clear that the ability to play at that higher level is within me, but equally, maddeningly clear that I can't summon it at will.

I find myself in The Zone more often now than before, and I've discovered and worked on some simple focusing techniques to make it more likely to happen - but I still have to try to coax it out of its hiding place rather than go directly to it.

From what I gather, that's true of everybody else too, but I'm hoping some of you are better at it than I am, or at least have some tips and techniques to share that I haven't thought of.

So spill it - how do you get there? Is it all about focus, or are there other identifying features of being in The Zone that might be followed like breadcrumbs to its secret location?

chgo

Everybody's in Trent's "My Apology" zone right now and can't spend valuable time on your thread, Patrick:sorry:.

We'll get back to you at a later time :grin:!!!

Maniac

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member
The zone is an amazing place to be. Watch a pro play, every movement they make is in the zone, from the chair in the corner, all the way to the table. They are in a slow motion glide, they know what to shoot before they reach the table. Hot chicks can walk by naked, they wouldn't see them. Music could be shaking the room, they wouldn't notice. They reach for the chalk, looking at the object ball the whole time. they listen the the chalk noise, and listen as they set it down. They hold the cue up in front of them, to tell them they are playing pool. They sink down into there shot, digging there bridge hand into the felt. Man this is pathetic. Everything inside the box, (Pool table) is where they need to be locked in. They need to hear every sound that has to do with contact, pockets, stroke, and feel, and if they pull themselves down into every shot the same way every time, they run out of balls to shoot because the game is finished. Then they look up and see the living again. That's in the zone.:grin:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The Zone.

chgo

In my case, it gets there when it gets there. I can't "make it happen"', it just does. I usually don't even realize I'm in the "zone" until my match/set is over. I just suddenly lose the fact that there are things going on all around me. Movement, sounds, and conversations just melt into the background like they ain't happening.

I don't get there near as often as I would like, but if someone ever figures out how to bottle it and sell it, I'm gonna be an addict!!!

Maniac

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think the 'zone' is truly tantalizing....the more you try to be in it, the
more it retreats beyond your grasp.
I feel the best thing you can do is be calm, rather than desperate, and try
hard....develop a relaxed awareness like a long distance driver.

..and if you're lucky, you sometimes realize IN RETROSPECT that you were
in the 'zone'.....if you realize you're in dead stroke, that self awareness
takes you right out of it.

I've said before on here, what a road player takes on the road is his B-game.
..being in the 'zone' is the icing on the cake, but if you're depending on it
to get the cash, you'll be phoning home for money.

The word tantalize comes from Tantalaus, of Greek mythology.
He was punished by being chained to his neck in water, but when he got
thirsty and bent his head to drink, the water would recede.
...lotta things in life are like that, many times you just have to be still
and let it happen.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
After you have been "in the zone" can you remember shots and situations from that period better or worse than when you have not been in the zone? Is it a period of heightened consciousness/memory or is it all a blur?

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
After you have been "in the zone" can you remember shots and situations from that period better or worse than when you have not been in the zone? Is it a period of heightened consciousness/memory or is it all a blur?

AtLarge:

For me, it's a blur. It happens very often where those times I was in the zone, I was standing at the head of the table waiting for my opponent to rack the balls (rotation or 8-ball game), and instead he is walking over to me offering his hand. I remember, in those instances, being confused, not realizing the match was over.

In fact, there've been a couple times in a one pocket game where I'm running balls, and out of the corner of my eye, I see my opponent in the chair, chuckling. I straighten up to ask him what he's chuckling about, and he tells me "this game was over 4 balls ago, and it's funny watching just how out-of-touch you are." I'd run 12 balls into my pocket and didn't even know it! I truly felt like a bonehead.

However, it's a small price to pay for being able to shrug-off the worries of the world and enter the Land of Oz, pocketing balls and moving the cue ball with the greatest of ease.

-Sean

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
AtLarge:

For me, it's a blur. It happens very often where those times I was in the zone, I was standing at the head of the table waiting for my opponent to rack the balls (rotation or 8-ball game), and instead he is walking over to me offering his hand. I remember, in those instances, being confused, not realizing the match was over.

In fact, there've been a couple times in a one pocket game where I'm running balls, and out of the corner of my eye, I see my opponent in the chair, chuckling. I straighten up to ask him what he's chuckling about, and he tells me "this game was over 4 balls ago, and it's funny watching just how out-of-touch you are." I'd run 12 balls into my pocket and didn't even know it! I truly felt like a bonehead.

However, it's a small price to pay for being able to shrug-off the worries of the world and enter the Land of Oz, pocketing balls and moving the cue ball with the greatest of ease.

-Sean
Same here. I loose track of the game count. I will also break and run without realizing my opponent never shot. Then shake his hand and say good game!!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

chgo
I do something similar to kinnister's shot one for about a rack or two . That normally gets me at least half a chance to play halfway decently.

Freddie <~~~ halfway is better than no way

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to warm up really good in all sports or you will be in a funk. It could be the difference in a few game winning shots. The zone to me is just being so warmed up that you're always ready to execute to your full potential. Everything else is just the mental acceptance of the outcome. I use to drop dopamine level after three misses in a row, but now, I know its just coincidence so it doesn't bother me anymore. If I'm drilling shot ofter shot, I try to contain myself, because it doesn't mean anything. Anybody can do what I do, and some can do things I can't even understand. If you're steadily increasing speed, you'll mentally adjust and expect more of yourself, without realizing that a month ago, you couldn't do what you're doing now. If you're executing like you are now. 3 months ago, you would think you're in the zone. If I come in cold and play the player I was 6 months ago, I would think I'm in the zone.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Warm-up and memory...

You have to warm up really good in all sports or you will be in a funk. It could be the difference in a few game winning shots. The zone to me is just being so warmed up that you're always ready to execute to your full potential. Everything else is just the mental acceptance of the outcome. I use to drop dopamine level after three misses in a row, but now, I know its just coincidence so it doesn't bother me anymore. If I'm drilling shot ofter shot, I try to contain myself, because it doesn't mean anything. Anybody can do what I do, and some can do things I can't even understand. If you're steadily increasing speed, you'll mentally adjust and expect more of yourself, without realizing that a month ago, you couldn't do what you're doing now. If you're executing like you are now. 3 months ago, you would think you're in the zone. If I come in cold and play the player I was 6 months ago, I would think I'm in the zone.

Yes! Proper warm-up is critical. I stress this when I teach. Problem is sometimes (when your distracted for example) it takes longer to warm up and sometimes it seems impossible. Also, it's easy to slip out of stroke, but not so easy to get back in.
One thing I do that helps sometimes is to try and remember how it felt the last time you were in the zone. The confidence you felt, the excitement and the almost giddiness that comes when you feel like you can't miss!

Donny Lutz
PBIA/ACS Instructor

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I'm not sure which zone you're talking about, but there's a highway to the Danger Zone.
But you probably already knew that.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

chgo

According to studies, we can't bring the zone on demand, however we can create the atmosphere in our brains most conducive to bringing on that state.

Back when the Russians dominated Olympic weight lifting, they conducted a lot of studies on how to bring their lifters into the zone just prior to competition. They found that inducing alpha brain waves as opposed to beta brain waves just prior to performance resulted in more zoned performances.

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I also have tasted this forbidden fruit, often referred to as the zone
It rarely comes, but when we hear it's siren song we're drawn to it like stink to a monkey, and no power on earth can tear us from it's steely talons until the last drop of it's heady nectar as been drunk. Man, I'm on a roll here.
So how do we find this zone, and find it more often than we do?
The same way you get to Carnegie Hall, that's how. :smile:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
They found that inducing alpha brain waves as opposed to beta brain waves just prior to performance resulted in more zoned performances.

My brain only "waves" when it says goodbye :grin:!!!

Maniac (which is more often than not)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
One thing I do that helps sometimes is to try and remember how it felt the last time you were in the zone.

I do this too and compare with how I feel when I'm not in The Zone - kind of like trying to reverse engineer or "follow the bread crumbs" back to the source.

The clearest difference to me when I'm in The Zone is that I take simple visceral pleasure in each of the details of planning, visualizing and executing the shot and then even more pleasure in seeing the shot unfold exactly as I envisioned. Then I can't wait to get to the next shot and do it all over again - without a care for what it's all adding up to, just enjoying each moment for its own reward.

It's hard to say just from personal experience if this is a cause or an effect, but knowledgable people like Bob Fancher (in his popular book Pleasures of Small Motions) seem to think it can be an important cause and I've heard that sports psychologists also emphasize it. The question for me is how do we use this information? Can we just will ourselves to "smell the roses"?

And what other experiences of being in The Zone can we identify and try to replicate?

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
According to studies, we can't bring the zone on demand, however we can create the atmosphere in our brains most conducive to bringing on that state.

Back when the Russians dominated Olympic weight lifting, they conducted a lot of studies on how to bring their lifters into the zone just prior to competition. They found that inducing alpha brain waves as opposed to beta brain waves just prior to performance resulted in more zoned performances.
Fascinating, Fran (hmm... a new nickname?). Do you know how to go about inducing alpha waves on command?

pj
chgo