Play Your Best 9 & 10 Ball

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have had the good fortune to read through Phil Capelle's newest addition to his library of great billiard works, and I'm amazed! Phil has taken our sport to a whole new level of examination, that can be used not only as instruction for serious pool players but also as proof to casual observers how truly difficult this game is.

Even so seemingly simple games as 9-Ball and 10-Ball have so many degrees of expertise required to reach the highest levels of play. Fortunately we have someone like Phil Capelle who is willing to give us the whole scoop on what that expertise looks like, and how it is accomplished. To say that this is an exhaustive body of work is to do it injustice. Phil covers every aspect of the game in intricate detail, with nothing left out. He delves deeper into the complexities of the game than in any other instructional manual I've ever read, and daresay I've seen them all. Better yet, this book is well thought out and easy to read, with clear diagrams illustrating what you are reading in the text.

This is one of those books/works that you could read a thousand times and get something new out of it each time. I feel humble to be called a billiard author in the same breath as Phil. He is a head above!

Last edited:

Dr_CollieCue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. It is a very comprehensive and well-written book that provides a great amount of useful information.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Agreed!! I love the spiral bound style too. EVERY instructional book should come that way!

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is the Chicago Billiard Museum?

An Illinois non-profit and the only online database of billiard history in the U.S.
Primarily but not only related to the long-time billiard capital of the world: Chicago.
We also hold a reputable collection of physical objects that are ( at this time) viewable by appointment only.

I'm a little surprised that you haven't noticed us till now...:cool:

This fall, if everything goes smoothly, we will be joining Will Prout at the International Cue Collectors show with an awesome display of historical goodies. ( Denver )

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I have had the good fortune to read through Phil Capelle's newest addition to his library of great billiard works, and I'm amazed! Phil has taken our sport to a whole new level of examination, that can be used not only as instruction for serious pool players but also as proof to casual observers how truly difficult this game is.

Even so seemingly simple games as 9-Ball and 10-Ball have so many degrees of expertise required to reach the highest levels of play. Fortunately we have someone like Phil Capelle who is willing to give us the whole scoop on what that expertise looks like, and how it is accomplished. To say that this is an exhaustive body of work is to do it injustice. Phil covers every aspect of the game in intricate detail, with nothing left out. He delves deeper into the complexities of the game than in any other instructional manual I've ever read, and daresay I've seen them all. Better yet, this book is well thought out and easy to read, with clear diagrams illustrating what you are reading in the text.

This is one of those books/works that you could read a thousand times and get something new out of it each time. I feel humble to be called a billiard author in the same breath as Phil. He is a head above!

Will put it on my Expo shopping list...

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I just purchased a copy myself...I guess since I'm so far from one pocket land I finally have to learn how to actually play 9 ball. Really just looking for anything to jump start my practice sessions. Really hard to get back into it after taking almost 9 months off.

dgem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the best books i read so far. Diagrams are easy to read. Must buy for a pool fanatic.:)

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
Thanks for the info, Jay. I'm going to have to put this book in stock for my customers.

Roger