Alignment / Fundamentals

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I haven't regularly played pool for a few years now due to work and family commitments. I used to work at a pool hall, and during grad school played as often as I was able to. I recently bought a new house and got a nice GCI in the basement with the help of some fellow AZB members.

I have a high run of 78 in straight pool, done many years ago. I've been running 40s and 50s lately, but haven't really thought about my fundamentals in forever. I started taking video of some of my runs, for posterity and in an effort to improve, the goal being a 100 ball run one day.

Two of my idols are Sigel and Rempe. They seem like unmoveable mountains when they are set up. When they are over the ball, their elbow is usually in a straight line with their cue. My elbow is . . . not. It's a little more tucked in - kind of like Efren's. My runs usually end on missing a very makeable ball. I tend to get up too early too - trying to work on that.

I was really looking forward to some lessons before COVID hit, and will go that route eventually, but am looking for any insight on my alignment - or general comments about fundamentals if alignment is just the tip of the iceberg lol.

Here's some straight pool runs and a video of me vs the ghost. I can shoot some more /shorter videos too if these aren't that great in viewing stance, etc. Also, lol at the difference between pre- and post-quarantine me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6deQ90aksC0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vYvBqAkmGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v2jIOs1abc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NywaMnKAXnw&t=20s

Many thanks!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your fundamentals and stroke look good to me.Maybe slow down a bit.
But your shot selection and pattern play and your basement ceiling could use some improvement.

I did notice a few shots that went in on your GC would have hung up on the Diamonds I play on.
You pocket balls very well but play 14.1 more like a 9 ball player then a student of 14.1.
But still running multiple racks still counts.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
your basement ceiling could use some improvement.

Thanks! I'm always going to be a student of the substantive aspect of the game. That being said - it's easy to study the game from watching tapes of the pros run 100s. I was also hoping Pete Margo out here was still giving 14.1 lessons, but then the pandemic hit.

Fundamentals, however, I feel I can't work on from my couch, so to speak, and for that an instructor is irreplaceable IMO. I thought about setting up a mirror in front of the table - but just feel a little lost on what's even right.

As to the quoted section, my local tax assessor couldn't agree more! (kidding - ceiling tiles and carpet are on the way. Basement is also a work in progress).

Pocket size is 4.75" - done specifically because I intended to play more 14.1 than anything else on the table.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Two of my idols are Sigel and Rempe. They seem like unmoveable mountains when they are set up. When they are over the ball, their elbow is usually in a straight line with their cue. My elbow is . . . not. It's a little more tucked in - kind of like Efren's. My runs usually end on missing a very makeable ball. I tend to get up too early too - trying to work on that. ...
What I noticed is that you do have a lot of movement during the stroke. Add to Sigel and Rempe Raymond Ceulemans who is like an oak tree during the stroke.

Another thing to work on is the rest of your shot routine. You crab into a lot of shots. That almost guarantees inconsistency in alignment.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think your shot making skills are great...If i was trying to improve anything is your shot selection I.E., select you break ball early, shoot balls on the rail and break up clusters early in the rack, try to eliminate long shots, etc.

You will be breaking 100 in no time. Good luck.

Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're absolutely right about the solidness of Rempe and Sigel. It's also ironic in that they are 2 of the best when it comes to shot selection.
Your fundamentals, alignment, etc. aren't all that bad compared to most players. Could be better I guess. Couldn't everyones?
As a couple others have mentioned, shot selection is not good. I know that wasn't your focus in this thread but in regards 14.1 in particular, improving fundamentals should help but you'll still have difficulty running big numbers due to poor shot selection. JMO

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
You're absolutely right about the solidness of Rempe and Sigel. It's also ironic in that they are 2 of the best when it comes to shot selection.
Your fundamentals, alignment, etc. aren't all that bad compared to most players. Could be better I guess. Couldn't everyones?
As a couple others have mentioned, shot selection is not good. I know that wasn't your focus in this thread but in regards 14.1 in particular, improving fundamentals should help but you'll still have difficulty running big numbers due to poor shot selection. JMO

Interesting- thanks everyone. I took some advice offered here and via PMs. Slowed down, focused on selection and patterns, with a few shot routine tweaks. Ran a 67 in the AM and a 47 in the PM yesterday.

While my fundamentals aren’t perfect, maybe I should focus on pattern play more for now?

Really a great section of the forums here, tucked away at the bottom.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting- thanks everyone. I took some advice offered here and via PMs. Slowed down, focused on selection and patterns, with a few shot routine tweaks. Ran a 67 in the AM and a 47 in the PM yesterday.

While my fundamentals aren’t perfect, maybe I should focus on pattern play more for now?

Really a great section of the forums here, tucked away at the bottom.

I'm going to be really honest here.
Your shot selection is not good as others have said.
But you still ran a 67 and a 47.
Just think of the numbers you could put up if you slooooow down and think about patterns a little more,stop and take a breath and really look at the balls.
One little tidbit I can give you is in 14.1 limit the amount of cue ball travel if possible.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I'm going to be really honest here.
Your shot selection is not good as others have said.
But you still ran a 67 and a 47.
Just think of the numbers you could put up if you slooooow down and think about patterns a little more,stop and take a breath and really look at the balls.
One little tidbit I can give you is in 14.1 limit the amount of cue ball travel if possible.

You sure I shouldn’t work on my mustache? Look at this guy! You can tell he runs 100s for breakfast! Really though, like I said earlier, you could drive a Mack truck into Rempe and I’d be worried about the truck.

In all seriousness, I appreciate the feedback. Thanks everyone. I’m gonna watch Jim’s 14.1 instructional videos tonight. Really study the game.

Attachments

• C85EFB8E-28D3-4E75-A9B4-BC0B658E33D0.jpeg
    C85EFB8E-28D3-4E75-A9B4-BC0B658E33D0.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JusticeNJ...I would find the right instructor to help...one who is highly skilled at video analysis. My sugggestion, from you living in NJ, would Mark Finkelstein. He's in NYC, but he's one of the best instructors out there. He is currently stuck in Japan, but hopes to be back in NYC in a couple of weeks. If he's unavailable, I would be willing to come help you. I'm going to be working with some students in CT in two weeks, and I may be able to come down to NJ after that. If you're interested, PM me with your contact information, so we can discuss your needs and my schedule.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

While my fundamentals aren’t perfect, maybe I should focus on pattern play more for now?.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I haven't regularly played pool for a few years now due to work and family commitments. I used to work at a pool hall, and during grad school played as often as I was able to. I recently bought a new house and got a nice GCI in the basement with the help of some fellow AZB members.

I have a high run of 78 in straight pool, done many years ago. I've been running 40s and 50s lately, but haven't really thought about my fundamentals in forever. I started taking video of some of my runs, for posterity and in an effort to improve, the goal being a 100 ball run one day.

Two of my idols are Sigel and Rempe. They seem like unmoveable mountains when they are set up. When they are over the ball, their elbow is usually in a straight line with their cue. My elbow is . . . not. It's a little more tucked in - kind of like Efren's. My runs usually end on missing a very makeable ball. I tend to get up too early too - trying to work on that.

I was really looking forward to some lessons before COVID hit, and will go that route eventually, but am looking for any insight on my alignment - or general comments about fundamentals if alignment is just the tip of the iceberg lol.

Here's some straight pool runs and a video of me vs the ghost. I can shoot some more /shorter videos too if these aren't that great in viewing stance, etc. Also, lol at the difference between pre- and post-quarantine me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6deQ90aksC0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vYvBqAkmGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v2jIOs1abc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NywaMnKAXnw&t=20s

Many thanks!

Alignment/walking up to the shot, are one in the same.