10,000 Ball Marathon for The United Way

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
On September 18 and 19, I will be pocketing 10,000 balls to raise money for The United Way of The Big Bend - http://www.uwbb.org/ at Pockets in Tallahassee, Florida. This event will be held during the US Open Qualifier that same weekend, and you can follow my progress - ball by ball - on the livestream.

I will be pocketing balls speedpool style for 12 hours each day. You can sponsor my efforts for $15 per rack. Our goal is to raise $10,000 - a dollar for each ball I am pocketing.

I will be rotating between using a McDermott D21, D-4, and my Doug Patrick SP. I am in need of a 3/8 10 shaft as this will probably be the last hurrah for my Z shaft. If anyone can assist me with that, let me know - in exchange, I will place a banner ad for the entire event during the live stream, or we'll name our new puppy after you - whichever you prefer.

Dwight Sisson (BigDogAtLarge) will be posting a link where monetary donations can be made on line. If you would prefer to make a donation by check, you can do so by following the instructions at the United Way of The Big Bend website.

I have been training every day for this event, and I am averaging 32 racks an hour. I plan on reaching the 10,000 ball mark sometime on Saturday afternoon, and then setting my sights on 11,000 by 11 PM that evening.

I am in the process of talking Tommy Kennedy into coming out on Friday to do a an exhibition with ball juggling and trick shots. Tommy is one of the most popular US Open Champions in history, and he has an extremely entertaining show - and TK and I will go mano y midget with the ball juggling - the challenge has been made.

We recently conducted an interview for FSU-TV - when I get that footage, I will post it in this thread. Here is some video of me preparing for this event -

Fast Shooting/Ball Juggling

This is being done in an effort to raise money for the youth programs and to promote a positive image for the game. A lot of hard work has gone into this event by Dwight and his entire staff - as well as the entire staff at Pockets.

Our goal is to create a close working relationship with The United Way to promote fundraisers all over the country. If you are interested in promoting one of these fundraisers in your area, please contact me or Dwight.

The US Open qualifier starts on Saturday and we expect a full field of great players fighting it out for a ticket to Chesapeake.

That's all I got - I'm just the guy pocketing the balls - so if you have any inquiries, please direct your questions to BigDogAtLarge - he's the guy in charge.

Thanks!

Draz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That will be a hell of an event, i can't wait! imma watch it thats for sure. :grin:

Good luck!

Just wondering, what happens if you miss a shot?

- Draz

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Just wondering, what happens if you miss a shot?

- Draz

I've got 667 racks to get to 10,000 - I might miss once or twice or a hundred. When I did this at Capone's 2 years ago, I think I broke and ran 13 or 14 racks in a row without missing a shot - I got on a streak like that quite a few times in the two 12 hour sesions. Shooting at that speed, there will be missed shots.

The hardest part of this is the endurance factor. Its one thing to knock the balls off the table in a minute or less, but to do it consistently for 12 hours during two consecutive days is something completely different. I need to maintain a rack a minute pace consistently and to do that I have to train my mind and my body like an athlete. Once I get started and into the groove, I don't pay attention to much of anything except what is going on at the table.

So to answer your question - if I miss a shot, I just push it aside and move forward to lining up the next ball.

ccn7

Ole Pool Fool
Silver Member
On September 18 and 19, I will be pocketing 10,000 balls to raise money for The United Way of The Big Bend - http://www.uwbb.org/ at Pockets in Tallahassee, Florida. This event will be held during the US Open Qualifier that same weekend, and you can follow my progress - ball by ball - on the livestream.

I will be pocketing balls speedpool style for 12 hours each day. You can sponsor my efforts for $15 per rack. Our goal is to raise $10,000 - a dollar for each ball I am pocketing.

I will be rotating between using a McDermott D21, D-4, and my Doug Patrick SP. I am in need of a 3/8 10 shaft as this will probably be the last hurrah for my Z shaft. If anyone can assist me with that, let me know - in exchange, I will place a banner ad for the entire event during the live stream, or we'll name our new puppy after you - whichever you prefer.

Dwight Sisson (BigDogAtLarge) will be posting a link where monetary donations can be made on line. If you would prefer to make a donation by check, you can do so by following the instructions at the United Way of The Big Bend website.

I have been training every day for this event, and I am averaging 32 racks an hour. I plan on reaching the 10,000 ball mark sometime on Saturday afternoon, and then setting my sights on 11,000 by 11 PM that evening.

I am in the process of talking Tommy Kennedy into coming out on Friday to do a an exhibition with ball juggling and trick shots. Tommy is one of the most popular US Open Champions in history, and he has an extremely entertaining show - and TK and I will go mano y midget with the ball juggling - the challenge has been made.

We recently conducted an interview for FSU-TV - when I get that footage, I will post it in this thread. Here is some video of me preparing for this event -

Fast Shooting/Ball Juggling

This is being done in an effort to raise money for the youth programs and to promote a positive image for the game. A lot of hard work has gone into this event by Dwight and his entire staff - as well as the entire staff at Pockets.

Our goal is to create a close working relationship with The United Way to promote fundraisers all over the country. If you are interested in promoting one of these fundraisers in your area, please contact me or Dwight.

The US Open qualifier starts on Saturday and we expect a full field of great players fighting it out for a ticket to Chesapeake.

That's all I got - I'm just the guy pocketing the balls - so if you have any inquiries, please direct your questions to BigDogAtLarge - he's the guy in charge.

Thanks!

Best of luck with this David, BTW, I have a Z shaft uniloc i will give you if you can used it if you need a 3/8-10 i have a brand new shaft fron Crown Cues Gene, i would donate to you. if interested in either let me know.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Best of luck with this David, BTW, I have a Z shaft uniloc i will give you if you can used it if you need a 3/8-10 i have a brand new shaft fron Crown Cues Gene, i would donate to you. if interested in either let me know.

Thanks Floyd! PM sent!

BigDogatLarge

Da pool gods are laughin'
Silver Member
Blackjack is the best...

I would like to thank Blackjack and his lovely wife Shirley for taking the time out of their busy schedules to help raise funds for the United Way. They both are class acts and I am proud to be assoiciated with them.

We will be streaming his efforts and all the other goings on at pockets. I would recomend going to www.ontherailtv.com and clicking on the Wednesday link for your viewing pleasure. Many thanks go out to Fast Lenny for building us a site to stream to all the many viewers.

Please register so you can chat with us and ask questions. After the 11,000 are in the pockets Blackjack and Tommy Kennedy will be doing commentary of the finals.

I want to say thanks to my AZ family for all the support they have shown while we limped and struggled along to make this streaming possible. Without their feedback and positive attitudes we wouldn't be here.

See everyone on the stream...

Dwight

mattiefingaz

Professional Photographer
Silver Member
Please post the link to donate when you have it...If I missed it in the thread I apologize...I'm good for at least 1 rack.

You're a good man BlackJack and I'd be honored to chip in where I can.

I'll get with you on the comments you left on my video once you've recovered from the weekend....sorry my uncle can be a bit "overbearing"

Mattie

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I would like to thank Deno Andrews for sponsoring 10 racks! Thank you so much Deno!

ccn7

Ole Pool Fool
Silver Member
Thanks Floyd! PM sent!

Here is the info you requested. I was going to PM you, but figured this could work as a bump for your cause.
The shaft is a 30" hard maple shaft w/12" pro taper, an Ivorine 3 ferrule and 13mm Hercules H2 tip. The collar is blk phenolic. the joint is 3/10 stainless pin into wood threads. Not sure of weight. Never used. Ref. Cue # 3016 Gene La Viness of Crown Cues is the maker.
talk with you soon.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sounds like a challenge for an iron man. Good luck and make sure you get a table with a ball return.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
It sounds like a challenge for an iron man. Good luck and make sure you get a table with a ball return.

LOL... sorry, no ball return on either table. Shirley has the unenviable task of having to get the balls out of the pockets and then rack all 667 racks. Her job is much more complicated than mine.

Shirley needs to keep the playing area clear, gather the balls, rack the balls, keep tack of the racks cleared & balls pocketed, keep track of my time, keep track of my Parkinson's medications, when I need to change shoes, cues, etc - when I get pissed off at something she's the only one that will hear about it ...

All I have to do is show up and pocket the balls.

Boy, do I have it easy or what!?!