Cue Stuck together

dmoore363

Hello new person to this great website. I have a John Madden cue that is stuck together. The shaft will not seperate from the forearm. Any ideas of what would be the best possible way to get this cue apart with out damaging the cue... Thank you for your time.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Hello new person to this great website. I have a John Madden cue that is stuck together. The shaft will not seperate from the forearm. Any ideas of what would be the best possible way to get this cue apart with out damaging the cue... Thank you for your time.

I doubt its seriously stuck. I've actually sold a couple cues before, only to receive a call later that they can't get the cue apart. You simply need a little horsepeower that you can't quite muster by yourself. Have a friend grip either the shaft or the butt, best if holding it with a non-slip type material....and you grab the other half of the cue. A nice simple count 1-2-3 and then you both twist the proper direction. A quick "snap" twist will actually work best. If I was there...I'd wager that I could unscrew it quite easy by myself...I'd just hate for an old man to show you up...I turned 46 yesterday.:thumbup: Seriously...I've actually teased people before when this happens...I've told them the secret is to kiss the joint before...its quite a look I receive after a quick smooch then "pop" the cue unscrews easily.:thumbup:

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen this happen with the Uniloc quick release. I was shocked at how stuck it was. A few prominent makers advised me to squirt some WD40 on it and let it weep in over night. The problem is the brass insert is bored so close to the pilot pin Ø any brass dust at all causes it to seize up. Worked for me.

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
It sounds funky, but if you lick your hands, spread it around, and rub them together until your hands are just tacky, you can often improve your grip enough to turn it. Again, as stated above, quick turns are far better than slow grinds. This only applies to pool cues.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Is it a quik release type pin? Does it turn at all? Some of those will turn hard, undo the thread or two and then not seperate. If it won't turn, one way to break it apart is to setup a vibration by slapping the butt into your open palm and then quickly give it a quick hard twist while still vibrating. May take a couple tries to get it right. I just helped a buddy with his dufferin with a quik release pin. We did pretty much what Kevin advised above , but it just kept turning but not seperating. We then pulled hard away from each other and turned at the same time and it popped apart. Good luck,
Dave

MickeyMantle

Mickey Mantle #7
Cue stuck

Called the selling company, if opened a bit, squirt WD40 down the pin. Let it sit a while, upside down. Get some rubber gloves for best grip. Then two of you, one grabs the butt and turns left and the other grabs the shaft close to the pin and turns left. It actually worked lose and back to shooting with it.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Called the selling company, if opened a bit, squirt WD40 down the pin. Let it sit a while, upside down. Get some rubber gloves for best grip. Then two of you, one grabs the butt and turns left and the other grabs the shaft close to the pin and turns left. It actually worked lose and back to shooting with it.

No, do not spray WD-40 at a cue. If you get any on the finish, it can cause issues.