2018 WPA World 9 Ball

billiards102

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I dislike the most about this is the corner ball being dead every rack. That's why it becomes a breaking contest, to see who gets shape on that 1 ball. You don't have to do anything to make a ball on the break except hit the rack.

I also thought there was a rule about not pattern racking.

Here is the rule from the WPA website regarding racking.

16. RACK AT NINE BALL
As stated in Rule 2.2, balls other than the one and nine are placed randomly in the rack and should not be set in any particular order during any rack. If the referee is not racking, and a player believes that his opponent is intentionally placing balls within the rack, he may bring this to the attention of a tournament official. If the tournament official determines that the player is intentionally positioning balls in the rack, the player will be given an official warning to refrain from doing so. Once warned, should the player continue with intentional positioning of balls in the rack, he shall be penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct.
https://wpapool.com/rule-regulations/#Ball-Rack-Template

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Here is the rule from the WPA website regarding racking.

16. RACK AT NINE BALL
As stated in Rule 2.2, balls other than the one and nine are placed randomly in the rack and should not be set in any particular order during any rack. If the referee is not racking, and a player believes that his opponent is intentionally placing balls within the rack, he may bring this to the attention of a tournament official. If the tournament official determines that the player is intentionally positioning balls in the rack, the player will be given an official warning to refrain from doing so. Once warned, should the player continue with intentional positioning of balls in the rack, he shall be penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct.
https://wpapool.com/rule-regulations/#Ball-Rack-Template

Someone needs to lend that referee a copy of the rule book.

billiards102

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think you'd see a rules violation from a referee such as this happen in any comparable playoff or championship game of a major sport.
I'm not sure if randomly racking the balls would have changed the outcome, Carlo Biado played great, but it can't be argued that not pattern racking would give the potential for a different score.

I'm sure this won't be happening with the CSI WPA 10-Ball.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Alex missed his chance to make the finals.

Filler vs. Biado. Biado is a clear favorite, because Filler is not getting a shot on the 1 after the break like Carlo is.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ho hum yet another year without a world championship from the alleged best player in the world. Glad some things never change.

Maybe he will win one if they make it a race to 100

In today's game (especially 9 ball), you can't say that anyone is the best player in the world.

But Shane is definitely in the top 5, and with the World 10 Ball coming back to the US for at least the next 3 years. He's going to get a World Championship.

So would you consider him the best in the world after he wins 3 in a row? Or are you going to troll some more, and say, "Oh, but he didn't win them outside of the US."

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In today's game (especially 9 ball), you can't say that anyone is the best player in the world.

But Shane is definitely in the top 5, and with the World 10 Ball coming back to the US for at least the next 3 years. He's going to get a World Championship.

So would you consider him the best in the world after he wins 3 in a row? Or are you going to troll some more, and say, "Oh, but he didn't win them outside of the US."

It is not trolling when the info is based on facts.

He is not top 5 in the world, I don't care what smoke & mirrors all his fans want to come up with.

Talk to me when he actually wins a world title. I would not hold my breath. :grin:

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know who the best in the world is. In a points based system to determine the best in the world. The best in the world would never have to win any tournaments. Just consistently finish towards the top. Which is fair to say Shane does no matter how strong the field is.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
Carlo is a world champion and has the potential to win it back to back. Shane is a 5-time US Open champion. Just put it this way - they are two of the best in the world right now.

SandFox

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He is not top 5 in the world, I don't care what smoke & mirrors all his fans want to come up with.

Talk to me when he actually wins a world title. I would not hold my breath. :grin:

Isnt the world masters considered a world title? Shane has two of those won back to back playing against an international field. Granted split hairs and says its an invitational though.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

whatever you say, boy

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Basically, you’re misguided. Winning a world title doesnt automatically mean anything. What does mean something are thre WPA rankings, data-based performance stats, and gambling odds.

Unless you’ve been living under a tree, you know why Shane is only ranked 28th on the WPA. His Fargo-rate, which is pretty much the only fact-based stat system out there has him as the number player. How you justity that he isnt a top 5 player from that is nonsense, and you know it. And the oddsmakers had Shane at 8-1, which put him tied with someone (Wu or Biado) for shortest odds.

Any reasonable person who knows something about this game would never say that he’s not top 5. I assume then you must be trolling or you’re clueless. I don’t think you’re clueless.

Freddie <~~~ feeding

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically, you’re misguided. Winning a world title doesnt automatically mean anything. What does mean something are thre WPA rankings, data-based performance stats, and gambling odds.

Unless you’ve been living under a tree, you know why Shane is only ranked 28th on the WPA. His Fargo-rate, which is pretty much the only fact-based stat system out there has him as the number player. How you justity that he isnt a top 5 player from that is nonsense, and you know it. And the oddsmakers had Shane at 8-1, which put him tied with someone (Wu or Biado) for shortest odds.

Any reasonable person who knows something about this game would never say that he’s not top 5. I assume then you must be trolling or you’re clueless. I don’t think you’re clueless.

Freddie <~~~ feeding

Everyone has the right to believe what they want & I choose to exercise mine in feeling he is not a top 5 player overall.

I don't go by WPA rankings or the even bigger joke that is Fargo so my opinion of Shane has nothing to do with those 2 things.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone has the right to believe what they want & I choose to exercise mine in feeling he is not a top 5 player overall.

I don't go by WPA rankings or the even bigger joke that is Fargo so my opinion of Shane has nothing to do with those 2 things.

Who do you think the top 5 players in the world are?

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
And the once again NOT world champion SVB :D

Well it seems the top players in the world disagree with your uneducated opinion. Kaci wouldn't pay him even two months ago. I imagine 3 of your personal top five won't either. Perhaps you should redo your top five list, and this time don't use the amount of physical attraction you feel toward the players as a criterion.