CUE BALL CONTROL ... Everything You Need to Know

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave, I think some of your videos can get a little too analytical
I do cover stuff in more depth than some people might prefer. To me, it is important to explain why, and not just how. I like to "teach people how to fish on their own" (through understanding) instead of just "give them fish" (that might not apply or be helpful in all situations).

but I have to say that I think this is the best pool instructional video I have ever seen.
Wow! Thank you.

If players just watch this video and really apply the concepts, I think beginners, intermediate players and even some advanced players could really improve their positional games. I am a decent player, was very good once, and I found the 3 times the angle draw portion really illuminating. I sort of knew that on an instinctual level but not in a measured way.
Agreed. You still need skill to perform CB control, but a little knowledge and understanding can go a long way.

One thing I was a little surprised that was missing since you mentioned cut induced throw several times is how you can adjust for that with English. It would be a good addition.
That would have been a good addition, but the video was already getting a bit long. FYI, I have some good videos that cover this and other important topics related to throw here:

online throw tutorial

I just linked it to two of my APA teams and told them to watch it.
I'm glad to hear it. I hope it helps.

Thank you for the feedback, input, and suggestions.

I appreciate it,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, in the near future, I plan on doing a few more YouTube videos in the "Everything You Need to Know" series. "CB CONTROL ... Everything You Need to Know" was the first in the series.

Here are the tentative topics currently on my list:

Fouls in Pool
Position Play Principles
Playing Position Off Hangers
Kicks and Banks
How to Aim Pool Shots

Of these topics, which would you most like to see?

What other topics would you like to see?

I would also include "Throw" and "Sidespin," but I think I already have good videos on these topics. I also don't want to duplicate topics already covered in detail in my "Top 10 Pool Principles and Shots" YouTube Instructional Series.

I look forward to your input.
I think aiming can become a huge ballywick but the videos I would like to see are:

#1: Playing Position Off Hangers
#2 "Kicks and Banks

Playing position off of hangers is something even the very best amateurs frequently mess up. Would be interesting to see how you would tackle that. Byrne did a little in one video but he mostly showed drills that he did perfectly, not really much on how he judged it.
Thanks for the input. I will move these topic further up on my list, and I will move "Fouls in Pool" down since there seems to be little interest in that.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave one suggestion for the hangers video would be start with just how NOT to scratch on a hanger especially when it is somewhat deep into the shelf. It is absolutely amazing how many fairly skilled players (like APA 4 and 5s) REALLY struggle not to scratch on these shots when the concepts are so easy to understand. I try and tell my teammates this all the time to the point, if it is deep at all, I will just take the timeout and explain it to them again, because it seems if I dont I get to watch the cull ball flying into the pocket and hear a confused explanation of "I hit it low!" or "I hit it with left!"
Good suggestion.

Thank you,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Call it "Shots that look like hangers but really aren't".
I like it, but I want all of the titles in this new series to be consistent:

CB CONTROL ... Everything You Need to Know
POCKET HANGERS ... Everything You Need to Know
KICKS AND BANKS ... Everything You Need to Know
etc.

Those shots with the ball in the pocket jaws(or real close) can be run-wreckers. Look so easy and yet we all get stung by them.
Well stated. Agreed.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe a "fundamental skills" series
I think my the following videos from my "Top 10" series covers this fairly well:

Top 10 Things Pool Players Do Wrong … and How to Fix Them

Top 10 Pool Shots Amateurs Play Wrong … and How to Play Them Right

Top 10 Pool Shots Every Player Must Know!!!

but if you think otherwise, please let me know.

and an "in depth skills" one...?
Could you be mores specific on this one, maybe listing some topics you have in mind?

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, in the near future, I plan on doing a few more YouTube videos in the "Everything You Need to Know" series. "CB CONTROL ... Everything You Need to Know" was the first in the series.

Fouls in Pool
Position Play Principles
Kicks and Banks
How to Aim Pool Shots

I would also include "Throw" and "Sidespin," but I think I already have good videos on these topics. I also don't want to duplicate topics already covered in detail in my "Top 10 Pool Principles and Shots" YouTube Instructional Series.

Thanks,
Dave
FYI, I just posted the next video in the "Everything You Need to Know" series. Here is the new thread:

POCKET HANGERS … Everything You Need to Know

Enjoy,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Fouls in Pool
Position Play Principles
Kicks and Banks
How to Aim Pool Shots

FYI, I just posted the next video in the "Everything You Need to Know" series. Here is the new thread:

SIDESPIN … Everything You Need to Know

Enjoy,
Dave