Challenge matches from Galveston

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm done watching the challenge matches from Galveston. I just saw the worst exhibition of one pocket. No more challenge matches for me. I will continue to watch tournament play but no more challenge matches where it's chopped up what looks to be 50/50. I'm talking about the Scott and Gabe one pocket. I put things aside tonight to see this match and was disappointed. Any Comments?

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I could write a paragraph but I wont...it was gross tonite...I mean why play if youre gonna play like that...they shoulda postponed it or something, it was sloppy, there were 8 racks in under 2 hours...that really trying isnt it.

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
geeeez

a whole day wasted on that one hole what ever it was !

they did not have any matches on all day and the schedule says the mens

10-ball started at 3pm. come on now , they aren't any better than espn.

just gonna show some finals and thats it imo. there had to be tons of

matches going on. even if they had nobody to commentate they could

stream a match. people have been waiting for this and it is like a

letdown to the build up. i know its free and it is a good thing but i

think most people are going to feel misled to a weeklong show with

very few tournament matches and a big lack of info.

i hope for the players sake that the event itself is much more

than the streaming has turned out to be so far. :confused:

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm done watching the challenge matches from Galveston. I just saw the worst exhibition of one pocket. No more challenge matches for me. I will continue to watch tournament play but no more challenge matches where it's chopped up what looks to be 50/50. I'm talking about the Scott and Gabe one pocket. I put things aside tonight to see this match and was disappointed. Any Comments?

Amen....I stopped watching halfway through the first game.

ccn7

Ole Pool Fool
Silver Member
I watched it. I saw two men that showed they are human and get tired sometimes. i watched two men who didnt exactly play their best. but you know, it my case i enjoyed every minute of it. i got to watch a couple of pro's knock some around, got to listen to Joey A and Danny H. Those two are prettty darn entertaining by theirselves. And the after match interview....need i say more. And all this was FREE to me. Thank You.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love one pocket, that wasn't one pocket.

You are right Frank!!

I appreciate the chance to watch some pool, but that was just bad.

The only upside is that I won $25 on the match.

:smile:

Ironman317

Cash Me In....
Silver Member
i had bets on gabe and sent pms to the people i had bets with when it was 2-2 to cancel because of how grotesque (sp?) it was. if they say i have to pay, then so be it. but, i would not have felt right asking them to pay me if i had won after watching that display.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
i had bets on gabe and sent pms to the people i had bets with when it was 2-2 to cancel because of how grotesque (sp?) it was. if they say i have to pay, then so be it. but, i would not have felt right asking them to pay me if i had won after watching that display.

Yeah same here...agree 100%

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aint it funny how obvious it is when neither player cares about that particular match...the Efren/Shannon match..complete opposite..both players took there time...looked at all the shots before deciding on final shot selection...& u could see they were giving their all..the only challenge match that would be worth a DVD was the clinic Shane put on...Scott & Gabe both play better than they showed tonight...I know Scott said they were both tired..but tired 1 pocket players still play defense...but for free...Who can complain...unless u bet on match.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These challenge matches are like exhibitions. If you bet on them, you probably like betting on pre-season football. Both these guys had matches all day, in the tournament, and will probably have several tommorow. It was obvious they didn't want to play for 4 or 5 hours in this match. They are at the tournament to try to make some money, and very likely, there wasn't much difference in what the winner and loser was making in this match.

There have been some quality 'challenge' matches as well as tournament matches streamed. I saw the very first one,(Efren/Jose), where the camera work was bad, but they have steadily improved with some great commentating also. This is a first year tournament, some problems are expected. I think there is a little too much complaining imo.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Bingo Barber! A chop all the way. And it cost Taylor Road $5,000! Not too cool. That's a good way to lose this event.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bingo Barber! A chop all the way. And it cost Taylor Road $5,000! Not too cool. That's a good way to lose this event.

Yeah, They did a lot of things wrong......but I think we are fortunate to have guys willing to get in the box and take a swing at it in such a big way!

I think it will take more than just money to turn pool around though. It will take a lot of hard work, some kind of organization and more people like Louie, Bobby & Clark that are willing to step up. I'm thinking they learned a LOT this year and I hope they have it in them to take on another one!

I had a great time there and hope to be back down for the finals.

Ray

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone new to this game, Taylor Road Productions, puts up a lot of money, and a lot of hard work, and you would think they would get some praise for their efforts. Now just because ONE Challenge Match wasn't up to everyones expectation, they are going to 'lose this event'? That's kind of extreme. BTW Jay I enjoyed listening to you in the booth when you were down here in Texas, you had a lot of good things to say then.

I live close to the event, and went down for a day, and really enjoyed it. These guys are talking about doing other events around the country if this one is successful. Sounds like a good thing for pool to me.

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
challenge matches

First, let me say I totally agree with Frank. It was pitiful. We must remember, these guys are not gambling. There is a built in saver in every one of these matches and we expect an honest effort from both players. May be we expect too much. May be there should be no saver. How could it be enforced? Every year there are savers made at the DCC Bank and 10 ball Ring Game. Shane refused to agree to a saver in the 10 ball ring game with Alex and pissed Steve Lamako off because it had been a given each year, but these guys always appeared to give their best. Can it be fixed? Doubt it! If you bet on these matches, you are truly gambling. It surprises me that people seem more fried out about this then the 2 dumping threads.:confused:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, let me say I totally agree with Frank. It was pitiful. We must remember, these guys are not gambling. There is a built in saver in every one of these matches and we expect an honest effort from both players. May be we expect too much. May be there should be no saver. How could it be enforced? Every year there are savers made at the DCC Bank and 10 ball Ring Game. Shane refused to agree to a saver in the 10 ball ring game with Alex and pissed Steve Lamako off because it had been a given each year, but these guys always appeared to give their best. Can it be fixed? Doubt it! If you bet on these matches, you are truly gambling. It surprises me that people seem more fried out about this then the 2 dumping threads.:confused:

Ain't it the truth. :(

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member

Touche! Good thread. Good post. See it. Call it.

But thanks to the Taylor Road people for the whole thing. I dammed sure appreciate every minute I that's being available to watch. Some 'minutes' are disappointing but the opportunity is very much appreciated.

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a player puts up his own entry fee like the Ring games at the Derby I dont think a saver or a chop is out of line between the last 2. Its done in poker all the time. But I also believe an honest fight for the belt should be made.
If a promoter puts up all the money its naive to think that players wont make a deal. So Promoters are just going to have to think of creative ways to make Challenge matches work. Maybe having 2 sponsors put up some money for their horse. Players having to represent their sponsors are going to have to excel or lose their patronage.
By the way I believe SVB's refusal to chop the Derby was a little more complex. There was some principles involved that went above and beyond chopping between players.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
That was the worst display of pool I've ever seen. Gabe is a friend and I don't mind saying that I've never seen him play like that. They both shot shots that even I wouldn't shoot when gambling. It looked like an APA match. For anyone trying to defend it as "they were both tired, shooting at their hole, etc...", that is pure BS. These two guys got paid $4000 to put on an exhibition. What they put on was a clown show.

If at your job you are getting paid to do something, which is put forth 100% effort for something, and you don't do it, then generally you get fired. Maybe I'm wrong, but just how many free $4000 opportunities do these 2 get? I don't mind them chopping the $4000, I expected it, but for godsake have the smarts to at least try. Not only did they probably cost themselves any further opportunities like this, but might have cost people that actually give a sh*t, like SVB, future opportunities. Redonkulous.