Old growth ring shaft or Sunken wood shaft??

Onepocketking1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard of these types of shafts from different cue makers, just wondering if these shafts play similiar or are they worlds apart from each other. Which one is best and why?

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is no "best" for everyone.
If you can try one out and you like it, then it might be "best" for you.
My 2 cents,
Gary

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
I've heard of these types of shafts from different cue makers, just wondering if these shafts play similiar or are they worlds apart from each other. Which one is best and why?

Typically, a lake salvaged shaft is going to be an old growth ring shaft. The difference is that the lake submerged shafts have undergone a change, with mineral deposits taking the place of the oxygen in the wood. It is thought that that makes them more stable, and less prone to movement.

My personal experience is that the lake submerged shafts I have owned, (Josey Timeless Timber), were quite stiff and lively. There are others who feel that lake submerged shafts play kinda 'dead'. The variance in experiences could be related partially due to possibly the taper being used....or more simply, how long they are left to season between turns. Not to mention, you get 'dud' shafts no matter the type of shaft wood used.

You can generally easily tell the lake submerged shaft from any other pretty quickly....they are darker, and some feel they are a kinda 'dirty' brown...this is from the mineral deposits left behind. I can't say they're better than any other type of shaft....at that point, it comes down to player preference.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited: