Replacing Formica on Gold Crown Rails

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I know there have been a few people here who have had the formica on their Gold Crown rails replaced.

I am curious if anyone here has successfully replaced the formica with a stainable wood veneer.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
It really is worth doing.

I have a cabinet maker that has done several sets for me now and it is really worth the time and money. The wood veneer looks very nice and so does new laminate. I really like the veneer because is allows you to match up the rest of the table stain wise and are not stuck with the color of the original formica. Not to mention it makes the table totally unique.
I just had a set done in matte black laminate with new mother of pearl sights done for a Gold Crown 4 I am installing this weekend(just like the one shown below in the second picture).

Here is a Gold Crown 4 reveneered with maple and new mother of pearl sights:

picture.php

picture.php

Here is a Gold Crown 4 re-laminated with matte black laminate and new mother of pearl sights:

picture.php

Here is a Gold Crown 2 with new maple veneer:

picture.php

bradsh98

Silver Member
Thank you Trent! That is exactly what I was hoping to see.

I have 3 original Gold Crowns, 2 of which have had the wood grain pattern worn off from the formica. I intend to paint the formica on one of these tables, but was also considering doing a wood veneer replacement on another.

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
Trent that looks amazing, I looked at these pictures before and didn't notice the detail. I've seen this type of work done before and they used a torch to remove the old formica. The heat ended of damaging the subrail and after prep work the rail top was the same height as the subrail. How do you remove the formica without damaging the subrail or did you experiece similiar problems?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Not had those issues!

I am quite sure he does not use a torch! Although I am not totally sure how he does it. He and I both know that the formica is different from a GC 2 & GC 4, the GC 2 has much thicker formica. Have not had any problems with his work and pretty much sell this option on every GC table I restore anymore. It really makes each project as close to 100% as it can be!

Trent from Toledo

bradsh98

Silver Member
I am planning to use a heat gun for removal, and have read of others having success with this method. From there, I don't know if it would be necessary to further remove the original adhesive, or if it would be possible to lay fresh contact cement right over it. I guess I'll know more when I try it.

Also, I do know that you can get wood veneer in many different species and thicknesses, though I'm not sure about laminate.

I am quite sure he does not use a torch! Although I am not totally sure how he does it. He and I both know that the formica is different from a GC 2 & GC 4, the GC 2 has much thicker formica. Have not had any problems with his work and pretty much sell this option on every GC table I restore anymore. It really makes each project as close to 100% as it can be!

Trent from Toledo

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Heat gun it is!!

I spoke to the guy who does my laminate/ veneer and he says he uses a heat gun. He says the formica will bubble, fizzle, pop and it stinks.....He also says you must be very careful when removing it because it can take wood with it! So you have to take your time. Then you must remove the old adhesive without taking any extra material off. What ever size the formica is, is the size of what is replacing it needs to be. Make sure to measure out EXACTLY where your mother of pearl sights go!!!
Good luck to you and post pictures of your results please!

Trent from Toledo

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Maybe Trent can share the name of the guy who does his Formica replacements. Then all you DIY guys could ship the rails off and let the guy do it...

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
More info

I would, but, he only does mine!!! Totally joking, but, he is a super busy guy. Any cabinet maker/ wood worker that does laminate or veneering should be able to do it. I would think shipping would be ridiculously expensive. Good luck!

Trent

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trent: Generally speaking, what should one expect to pay a skilled cabinet maker to remove the laminate and install a veneer?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
. I would think shipping would be ridiculously expensive. Good luck!

Trent

It cost me $140.00 to ship my rails from Wisconsin to Ohio. I made heavy duty wooden boxes lined with styrofoam insulation because I was worried about my rails getting damaged.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Hmm , this really depends.

Hmm, a price I guess it would really depend on how resourceful you are. It helps to buy materials at wholesale and that makes a difference in the price right off the bat. The mother of pearl sights can be bought on www.classicbilliards.net or other places. I buy them in bags of 100. Where you get your veneer or laminate makes a price difference as well, you can buy it at the local wood supply company or online. Knowing a cabinet maker really helps as well. I use the same guy and do 5-6 sets a year so we have a set price. The tough part is having someone spend the time to figure out a good way to remove the old formica with out damaging the rails. I would think it would cost anywhere from $300-500 to get someone to take on the job. The key part is finding someone you trust to do the work. Having the old formica removed already might be the easiest way of getting someone to take the work on at a fair price?? Shipping is expensive and so is packing, on time and $$$. I suggest to use the internet & a good ole' phone book and make a list of wood shops to call & visit for quotes. I always call ahead and make appointments for stuff like this. I find most of the time when you talk to the shops on the phone, they will more than likely tell you whether they are interested right then an there. I do find that many people like working on new things and pool tables are pretty darn cool, so I have not found to many people who won't at least let me come show them what I am doing.

I am working on something new with the guy I use for the formica Anniversary rails: we are cutting off the formica a quite a bit of the original wood and recapping them with walnut. Working getting the first rail done over the last week as a tester. I was really in deep thought about just pulling the formica off like a Gold Crown but because the edge is such a wrap < I really was not ok with that. If you look at a walnut Anniversary rail you will see how it was capped with the wood from the Brunswick factory. Anyways, good luck to you all in your adventures in pool tables! SUCH FUN!!!

Trent from Toledo

Jerimy Chambers is the guy you may want to contact.....he has the original formic for the GC tables and uses a press. We both put 1/4" walnut caps on anniversary tables as well...the last 4 x 8 anniversary table I posted was a new 1/4" walnut cap.
I don't suggest using a veneer on the rail.....it's just to thin of a cap for the rail abuse.
Jerimy and I are doing a lot of rail work and walnut caps together....plus we can make the rails play great as well.
Best of both worlds......play great and look great....no other way to go if your looking for a great job on your rails.
Mark Gregory 770-548-4292
Jerimy Chambers 708-574-9888
We're also going to start making replacement rails for GC tables coming soon.
Thank you

Jerimy Chambers is the guy you may want to contact.....he has the original formic for the GC tables and uses a press. We both put 1/4" walnut caps on anniversary tables as well...the last 4 x 8 anniversary table I posted was a new 1/4" walnut cap.
I don't suggest using a veneer on the rail.....it's just to thin of a cap for the rail abuse.
Jerimy and I are doing a lot of rail work and walnut caps together....plus we can make the rails play great as well.
Best of both worlds......play great and look great....no other way to go if your looking for a great job on your rails.
Mark Gregory 770-548-4292
Jerimy Chambers 708-574-9888
We're also going to start making replacement rails for GC tables coming soon.
Thank you

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
What do you charge?

Just wondering what a set of newly capped Anniversary rails would cost with the subrail modification? The whole package deal kind of thing.
Thanks in advance.

Trent

P.s. I am sure others would like to know what the cost is :)

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Hmm, No reply.

Since Mark is not replying I am going to take a guess at it:

I have spoken to mark in the past and the quote was $1200.00 to modify the sub-rail not including shipping. Shipping from Ohio to Georgia at least $150.00 each way, $300.00. Now onto the recap with Black Walnut. The wood is outright expensive on its own and with time I am going to go ahead an say $1000.00. That's a grand total of $2500.00. Not to sure if most DIY type guys are going to be in for such a cost.

I think the post's original point was for the guys who are crafty to do it themselves or as much of it as possible. :)

Trent from Toledo

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member

I have spoken to mark in the past and the quote was $1200.00 to modify the sub-rail not including shipping. Shipping from Ohio to Georgia at least $150.00 each way, $300.00. Now onto the recap with Black Walnut. The wood is outright expensive on its own and with time I am going to go ahead an say $1000.00. That's a grand total of $2500.00. Not to sure if most DIY type guys are going to be in for such a cost.

I think the post's original point was for the guys who are crafty to do it themselves or as much of it as possible. :)

Trent from Toledo
I am pretty "crafty" and I send rails to Mark when I want absolute perfection. I have a full shop and do alot of cushion work.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
The original post.

Pat,

The original post was concerning replacing the formica on Gold Crowns :) I am quite sure you could handle that if you wanted to. :)

Trent from Toledo

Trent from Toledo
You haven't spoke to me and I don't want you speaking to me.
Don't set my prices....cause you don't know...and I don't post my prices.
If you want to post your prices...go right ahead.
I do my work....and you have others do yours.
That's up to you....but don't try and knock me.

I offered a info about veneer on GC rails.....just cause you have done it to your tables is fine by me.....but I didn't bring you or your name into this.
I answered a question.....take care of what you do.....I take care of what I do.
Your work has nothing to do with me or my work....or what Jerimy and I are going to do together.
I don't care if you sale 100s of tables....that's your business....but don't try and tell others I charge to much to have their tables play right.

I'm telling guys what we offer and what we're going to offer in the future.
Jerimy and I both know...there's no one out there going to make a table play the way we do.......now that don't mean everyone's looking for that kind of work.
Why don't you post the prices of your tables for sale....then I can give people a heads up on if your tables worth the price the way it's going to play.
Does that sound fair to you Trento?
Mark Gregory

Last edited: