Cushions are not as springy as before after putting new cloth.

Onepocketking1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious to know what could’ve happened to the cushions on the tables in my pool room. The cloths needed changing on most of the tables in my pool room. The table cushions before the cloth change had more spring to them. I could get the cueball to go 4-5 times across the headstring(side cushion to side cushion). After the cloth change, I can barely get 3-4 times across. The cushions haven’t been changed, same cushions. Does anybody know what could’ve happened???

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Just curious to know what could’ve happened to the cushions on the tables in my pool room. The cloths needed changing on most of the tables in my pool room. The table cushions before the cloth change had more spring to them. I could get the cueball to go 4-5 times across the headstring(side cushion to side cushion). After the cloth change, I can barely get 3-4 times across. The cushions haven’t been changed, same cushions. Does anybody know what could’ve happened???

Yeah, the rail bolts are loose.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Simonis... I’m not sure if pulling it tight would cause that cause billiard table cloths have to be pulled really tight and the cue ball doesn’t want to stop on billiard tables...

I think over compressing the cushion could have that effect, but, it would be obvious it was over pulled on the rails, there would be dimples on the nose of the cushions and "tiger striping" under the rails. Billiard tables are totally different. What do you think RKC?

Trent from Toledo

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Simonis... I’m not sure if pulling it tight would cause that cause billiard table cloths have to be pulled really tight and the cue ball doesn’t want to stop on billiard tables...

Again, loose rail bolts, or the rail cloth wasn't trimmed even with the cloth dado, and is acting as a spacer under the rails causing the nose height to sit a little higher. Was it the same table mechanic as the last time, or someone new? If an impact drill was used to tighten the rail bolts, there's no way to know it they're tight or not, unless the rail bolts are checked in person.

Onepocketking1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think over compressing the cushion could have that effect, but, it would be obvious it was over pulled on the rails, there would be dimples on the nose of the cushions and "tiger striping" under the rails. Billiard tables are totally different. What do you think RKC?

Trent from Toledo
There are no dimples on the noses...everything looks normal....

Onepocketking1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many are we talking about here, and how many have you checked to see if the cushions are playing slower than before? And who are you, the owner, or a customer?
I’m a customer, I’ve been playing on those tables for about 10 years and this is the first time I’ve experienced this. I’ve played on all of them and know how they play. I think it was a new person that did the job.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Again, loose rail bolts, or the rail cloth wasn't trimmed even with the cloth dado, and is acting as a spacer under the rails causing the nose height to sit a little higher. Was it the same table mechanic as the last time, or someone new? If an impact drill was used to tighten the rail bolts, there's no way to know it they're tight or not, unless the rail bolts are checked in person.

This could be it? Seen where the "new guy" decided not to pull all the staples and went beyond the cloth relief with the new cloth. or Loose bolts, hmm, sounds like the RKC narrowed it down. I wonder.

Trent from Toledo

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I’m a customer, I’ve been playing on those tables for about 10 years and this is the first time I’ve experienced this. I’ve played on all of them and know how they play. I think it was a new person that did the job.

Loose rail cloth can slow the cushions down as well, but it sounds like the change in installer is the root of the problem. Could also be that the owner started cleaning the balls because of the new cloth, and what they're being cleaned with is effecting the way they play.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Loose rail cloth can slow the cushions down as well, but it sounds like the change in installer is the root of the problem. Could also be that the owner started cleaning the balls because of the new cloth, and what they're being cleaned with is effecting the way they play.

I had not thought of that as well, balls could skidding like crazy and causing the slow down?

Trent from Toledo

Onepocketking1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks!!!

Just want to thank you guys for the knowledge you’ve shared with me. I’ll just have to deal with it till the cloths need changing again. Hopefully, the owners will listen and not use the new guy again.