2019 World 14.1 Tournament

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Griffin owns those rights, and he has been holding that event for several years now without much success (in terms of entrants). The reigning champ is SVB.

I don't know Mark Griffin, but is he wanting to hold on to that name for dear life? It's not as if his events have been better than the dragon promotion ones. Besides the production values of the 2019 one, they have been major flops.

If anyone has contact info, I would gladly ask him if the name is for sale.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BUT -- that doesn't mean there will be no good, interesting, well played matches this year, matches that should be of interest to 14.1 fans. Hohmann, Schmidt, Van Boening, Deuel, Archer, Eberle. Kennedy -- quite a bit of pool talent there. And I don't know how Storm plays these days. And a few other guys could be spoilers.

Last year they spent 7 days with 30 players. At least they reduced it to 6 days this year, with evenings off.;)

You have a great point there. Was it not last year that MikeB, the Long island league player, upset both Archer and schdmit and placed third in the event? Also I'm sure it was the same year Earl herring beat svb in a match.

I think we all want to see how that 16 year old kid who entered will be doing in this event aswell.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They did get a sixth player for the Van Boening group -- Jennifer Berzinski. So, 30 players in 5 groups of 6.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You have a great point there. Was it not last year that MikeB, the Long island league player, upset both Archer and schdmit and placed third in the event? Also I'm sure it was the same year Earl herring beat svb in a match.

I think we all want to see how that 16 year old kid who entered will be doing in this event aswell.

Right you are about Badstuebner (3rd place) and Herring (beat SVB) last year. In the Herring/SVB match, Shane ran 27 to get to 98, but then played a poor safety and Earl ran 31 and out for the win. That was a round-robin match. Earl finished first in their group but then lost 2 matches in a row in the double-elimination stage and didn't make it to the 12-player single-elimination stage.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
with 5 groups of 6, how does that break down to a tournament stage ?

Well they are posting that Thursday is "final 16" so probably top 3 from each group plus a next highest ball man. :shrug:

But this is the Dragon so I imagine we might see some real jerry-rigged bracket.

(looking now on their site they have the brackets in the second day result's pdf: https://www.theworldtournament.com/results)

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am feeling that this may be the last year for this event- when I look on the tournament site: www.theworldtournament.com I see OLD information under the banners for "info" "players" and the round robin results are not up to date at all- just pathetic that they run something called a "world" tournament and they do not even have a person dedicated to keeping the site for the event up to date!
If you are running any event, and have a dedicated site- please show enough interest in your own business to keep it up to date! Someone mentioned SIX players and said "quite a bit of pool talent"- Really- SIX PLAYERS who are true pros and to me THAT is NOT quite a bit of talent for a WORLD tournament- maybe if you had at least 20 true 14.1 professionals I would use that statement to describe this event. I am just sad to see someone promote an event in such a shabby fashion- I hear one qualifier had ONE entrant! No qualifiers in major cities throughout the US either- just in ORLANDO AND JACKSONVILLE? I MOVED TO FL FROM CT 2 YEARS AGO - THERE ARE HARDLY ANY 14.1 PLAYERS HERE IN FL. SO WHY HAVE THE QUALIFIERS HERE- just bc they are close to the tournament site? So So sad that this person promotes pool in this manner- sorry to see it!

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am feeling that this may be the last year for this event- when I look on the tournament site: www.theworldtournament.com I see OLD information under the banners for "info" "players" and the round robin results are not up to date at all- just pathetic that they run something called a "world" tournament and they do not even have a person dedicated to keeping the site for the event up to date!
If you are running any event, and have a dedicated site- please show enough interest in your own business to keep it up to date! Someone mentioned SIX players and said "quite a bit of pool talent"- Really- SIX PLAYERS who are true pros and to me THAT is NOT quite a bit of talent for a WORLD tournament- maybe if you had at least 20 true 14.1 professionals I would use that statement to describe this event. I am just sad to see someone promote an event in such a shabby fashion- I hear one qualifier had ONE entrant! No qualifiers in major cities throughout the US either- just in ORLANDO AND JACKSONVILLE? I MOVED TO FL FROM CT 2 YEARS AGO - THERE ARE HARDLY ANY 14.1 PLAYERS HERE IN FL. SO WHY HAVE THE QUALIFIERS HERE- just bc they are close to the tournament site? So So sad that this person promotes pool in this manner- sorry to see it!

I think it's well known he holds this event just to spite the WPA. Or at least he thinks they care enough to be spited. It's a really sad state of affairs.

And yes, the fact that they had no qualifiers in any major 14.1 cities goes to show how much he does not care. From what I hear in NY, there was not even a call made to the previous host room(The Spot in Nanuet) to hold a qualifier. Can't say I've heard anything about attempting to reach out to places like Bayshore billiards or Amsterdam Billiards for qualifiers.

Again, I don't care much for what has happened between CW/Dragon Promotions, but it's time this event comes to either a close or get a new identity. Unless they are really best friends with CW, I don't even get why the pros who are there are there to begin with.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Someone mentioned SIX players and said "quite a bit of pool talent"- Really- SIX PLAYERS who are true pros and to me THAT is NOT quite a bit of talent for a WORLD tournament ...

You're misrepresenting what I said. I did note the poor turnout and how few entrants really belong in something touted as a "world" event. The next paragraph simply says that, despite the poor turnout, there will still be some good matches to watch. And I named 7 (not 6) players who present "quite a bit of pool talent there." I'd be pleased to watch 14.1 matches among those 7 guys (plus possibly a couple more in that field) no matter what event (and the event's format) they're in.

But I agree with most of what you said.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The final 16 chart shows one bye.

Ah, so possibly just the top 3 from each of the 5 groups, seeded into the final bracket based on their results from the round-robin portion. That would mean no double-elimination portion this year.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're misrepresenting what I said. I did note the poor turnout and how few entrants really belong in something touted as a "world" event. The next paragraph simply says that, despite the poor turnout, there will still be some good matches to watch. And I named 7 (not 6) players who present "quite a bit of pool talent there." I'd be pleased to watch 14.1 matches among those 7 guys (plus possibly a couple more in that field) no matter what event (and the event's format) they're in.

But I agree with most of what you said.

Yes I agree with you- I would watch those matches as well. did not mean to mis represent- sorry.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just watched the first streamed match of the day:

• • Madenjian played an opening safety. It was pretty good but one ball was out on the left side of the rack.
    • SVB started with that long, tough cut, ran 45, then missed an easy shot.
    • Madenjian ran 13 and missed.
    • SVB ran 155 and out, for a 200-13 win in 2 innings.

Superb play by Shane, making just about everything look easy. He did get stuck on the pile once and had to shoot a cross-side bank to keep going.

Now, reluctantly, I have some criticism about the stream. The screen is just way over-crowded with distracting information. A large section across the top of the screen has colored logos of all the sponsors, a big logo of the event, and constantly scrolling information about the event and the streamer. A large section across the bottom has the streamer's logo, a logo for the pool room, and a large section with statistics (congrats, Pascal, for getting your software in this event as well as the Am. 14.1). Then as background for the bottom section are a bunch of yellow/orange disks or balls or bubbles or something round constantly floating up. TOO MUCH !!!

And a second point. The match was "advertised" as starting at 11 am. It started about 7 minutes early. I think a match with a specified starting time should start no earlier than that time. Otherwise viewers who plan their day around those times can miss parts of matches.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you think payouts will be the same with a low turnout like this???:p

Payouts will certainly be lower than if they had filled the field with the intended 48 players. But we don't know how successful they were in raising money or what the added money will be.

Prize money for this event last year (30 players, same as this year) is not shown in the AzB database. But an attendee reported that the prizes were $5,500 for 1st, $4,000 for 2nd, $2,400 for 3rd/4th, $1,600 for 5th/8th, $850 for 9th/12th, and $600 for 13th/16th. Whether they will be the same this year, I do not know.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just watched the first streamed match of the day:

• • Madenjian played an opening safety. It was pretty good but one ball was out on the left side of the rack.
    • SVB started with that long, tough cut, ran 45, then missed an easy shot.
    • Madenjian ran 13 and missed.
    • SVB ran 155 and out, for a 200-13 win in 2 innings.

Superb play by Shane, making just about everything look easy. He did get stuck on the pile once and had to shoot a cross-side bank to keep going.

Now, reluctantly, I have some criticism about the stream. The screen is just way over-crowded with distracting information. A large section across the top of the screen has colored logos of all the sponsors, a big logo of the event, and constantly scrolling information about the event and the streamer. A large section across the bottom has the streamer's logo, a logo for the pool room, and a large section with statistics (congrats, Pascal, for getting your software in this event as well as the Am. 14.1). Then as background for the bottom section are a bunch of yellow/orange disks or balls or bubbles or something round constantly floating up. TOO MUCH !!!

And a second point. The match was "advertised" as starting at 11 am. It started about 7 minutes early. I think a match with a specified starting time should start no earlier than that time. Otherwise viewers who plan their day around those times can miss parts of matches.

The screen was way too crowded & busy in the Am 14.1 event. So much stuff that has no need to be on during the middle of a match.

Just stopped by there at lunch real quick. Pretty dinky setup. Archer & Storm were warming up on two tables and then Kennedy was playing a match on one. That was it for the playing area.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:wink:155 and out by SVB is an impressive competitive run by anyone's standards. I can't imagine there is much of a live audience there- anyone know? I personally would not make the trip 5 hours from south florida to see this. I'll use the time to practice and maybe get into the real 14.1 tournament next year -:wink::wink: