Gold Crown V - 3000$

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just make sure it hasn't been wet based on where its at. That's 'cane country, bigtime!!

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still burns my arse that it is made in China.

The words Brunswick and China shouldn't be in the same sentence.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still burns my arse that it is made in China.

The words Brunswick and China shouldn't be in the same sentence.
You know that for a fact? I know sub-assembles are made overseas but final assembly is still in Bristol, WI. That being said, they do license manufacture for Asian-market tables. I got this straight from Brunswick.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know that for a fact? I know sub-assembles are made overseas but final assembly is still in Bristol, WI. That being said, they do license manufacture for Asian-market tables. I got this straight from Brunswick.

Fairly confident the table is made in China.

Yes, it makes sense they don't assemble it there and ship it ready to play.

I do understand the final assembly is here.

I have played on a bunch and they feel cheap to me. But maybe my disdain about the origin of the manufacturing taints my opinion.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I have played on a bunch and they feel cheap to me. But maybe my disdain about the origin of the manufacturing taints my opinion.

Whaddiya got against planned obsolescence?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
just shot this over to a guy in the Chicago area! I bet he gets some calls today! I would go get it, but, with all the time and money in going down there, it does not make $$ sense for me.

Trent from Toledo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You do know they've farmed-out some work to Brasil in the past? A buddy bought a GC3 and parts of the frame were made there. If outside sourcing bothers you so much just buy a Diamond. Every table mechanic i've heard from says the 5 is one great table.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Y If outside sourcing bothers you so much just buy a Diamond.

It doesn't bother you that a once great American company only assembles parts that are now totally fabricated in a factory overseas?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't bother you that a once great American company only assembles parts that are now totally fabricated in a factory overseas?
Its either that or close altogether. How much stuff that you/me/we/us use on a daily basis is made 100% in the U.S.? Not much brother. How much of your car do you think is farmed-out? You put your/wife/kids life at stake EVERY day driving a vehicle with foreign sub-assemblies, right? Why should where a pool-table comes from be any different?

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its either that or close altogether. How much stuff that you/me/we/us use on a daily basis is made 100% in the U.S.? Not much brother. How much of your car do you think is farmed-out? You put your/wife/kids life at stake EVERY day driving a vehicle with foreign sub-assemblies, right? Why should where a pool-table comes from be any different?

Excellent points.

I don't like that other crap being farmed- out either, but your point about having to deal with it is valid.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

Not only farmed out but quite often the lowest bidder gets the contract. Ever hear of Fords and spontaneous combustion? That would be ignition switches made by the lowest bidder. Cars with throttle by-wire accelerating on their own?? That would be the operators confusion and mixing up gas/brake pedals or the floor mat holding the accelerator pedal down. (I guess the last one really doesnt apply to this thread, I just got carried away and dont know how to delete):D

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it is still the best table to buy
this is probably a great buy

i would prefer it to diamond any day

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned a GC5 for several years now and I have two comments for anybody who is interested, and both have to do with the ball return.

1. The opening for the balls is shallow vertically and you will tend to scrape the top of your hand on the rather sharp wood edge as you pull the balls out. This is not really a long term problem because you will quickly get used to pulling the balls toward you before your lift them up. I do still think about taking a rasp or router to that top inside edge to round it off.

2. This is a real design flaw, IMO. When balls accumulate too much to the left or right side of the box, a ball that falls into the box and lands on other balls tends to fall completely out of the box. From there it typically bounces across the concrete floor and ends up against the wall underneath the stereo cabinet. This is not a "once in a blue moon" kind of thing. If you do drills into one pocket and then pocket a ball in a different pocket you are pretty much guaranteed to lose a ball out of the box.

I have a solution that will fix the problem but it is one of those rainy day projects I may never get to.

$3K, especially the OBO part, is a great price for that table if it is like new.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not only farmed out but quite often the lowest bidder gets the contract. Ever hear of Fords and spontaneous combustion? That would be ignition switches made by the lowest bidder. Cars with throttle by-wire accelerating on their own?? That would be the operators confusion and mixing up gas/brake pedals or the floor mat holding the accelerator pedal down. (I guess the last one really doesnt apply to this thread, I just got carried away and dont know how to delete):D

Just an FYI, GM had the problem with ignition switches and Ford had the lacking fuel tanks lol. I agree with Tim though, it would be great if we still made things here like we used to. The car analogy might not be the best, with cars they have dozens of super high tech sub systems while with a pool table you have some wood and slate.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just an FYI, GM had the problem with ignition switches and Ford had the lacking fuel tanks lol. I agree with Tim though, it would be great if we still made things here like we used to. The car analogy might not be the best, with cars they have dozens of super high tech sub systems while with a pool table you have some wood and slate.

Our cars are all computer operated today, much to my disdain. If the computer gets confused (and believe me it can) your car won't go into gear. It will stay stuck in park until the computer resets itself. Like all computers they can be hacked as well and easily stolen. It's a common occurrence already. At least if you have a tracking chip in them you can find them eventually.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Now, if there were a bunch of people over here that were willing to make 1/2 minimum wage the factory would not have had to move.

But, at the moment, the peoples closest to wanting to work for that kind of wage are in the process of either hiding or being deported.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now, if there were a bunch of people over here that were willing to make 1/2 minimum wage the factory would not have had to move.

But, at the moment, the peoples closest to wanting to work for that kind of wage are in the process of either hiding or being deported.

Careful, this type of response smells like it belongs in the NPR forum.

My statement was simple: I just said its a shame Brunswick doesn't manufacture tables in the USA anymore.

I didn't really want that sentiment applied to all consumer goods. Phew!
Tim