best way to align or dial in my 3 jaw chuck

robleyf7

AZB Horse 2016
Silver Member
i have a taig lathe with a 3 jaw chuck an the jaws wiggle some an i bought a dial indicator an it shows its off by a 10th anyone know how to fix this please thanks

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robley,
.0001 is usually referred to as "a tenth." If only all chucks had that kind of accuracy!
If you have .010 (ten thousandths) in runout on a dead straight part then you may need to true up your jaws. There is plenty of information out there once you figure out the right keywords to use in a search. http://bfy.tw/8YPD
If the jaws are loose the part can move; make sure they are tight.
Best of luck,
Beau

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Ten thou, you mean.
Replace it with their 4-jaw.
I use 4-jaw for my rear chuck after I found out the 3-jaw is really bad.

robleyf7

AZB Horse 2016
Silver Member
Robley,
.0001 is usually referred to as "a tenth." If only all chucks had that kind of accuracy!
If you have .010 (ten thousandths) in runout on a dead straight part then you may need to true up your jaws. There is plenty of information out there once you figure out the right keywords to use in a search. http://bfy.tw/8YPD
If the jaws are loose the part can move; make sure they are tight.
Best of luck,
Beau

Yea sorry still ne to the measurements on indicator lol.. i.ll search around more thanks

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the clarification, Joey. I probably should've called .0001 "ten thousandths" or "one ten thousandth" for the laymen. Machinists call it "a tenth."
Confusing at first until one understands the basis.

~Beau

Yotehntr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's .01 out you may have the jaw's in the wrong slot... I'd check and make sure they're right. In case you don't know the jaws are marked 1,2,3 on the back and the slot's are also.

robleyf7

AZB Horse 2016
Silver Member
If it's .01 out you may have the jaw's in the wrong slot... I'd check and make sure they're right. In case you don't know the jaws are marked 1,2,3 on the back and the slot's are also.

I.ll check this out tomorrow thanks for replies