With Winning in Mind

BobN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that there are some great books dealing with the mental/phsychological aspect of our game, but there is one that, while not well known, is required reading for my "higher than intermediate" students.

With Winning in Mind by Lanny Bassham

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy and have in my billiards library, books like "The Inner Game of Tennis" and "Pleasures of Small Motion", but this book goes beyond those. It actually lays out, IN DETAIL, a regimented program used by higher order athletes to build and reinforce the mental side of their game.

The book is cheap... cheaper than having a tip replaced, or buying a new billiard glove... but it's worth it's weight in gold, IMHO. Cost through Amazon is less than $14... spend that and $2 for a good notebook and you're set.

Ask any athlete or gamesman how much of their game is mental and almost all will say 80% or more... then ask them why they only spend 2% of their time strengthening their Metal Game.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks....never heard of this book. I'm always in learning mode and love to read, especially anything involving the mind/mental part of the game. I just ordered the book! :D

kingman33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that there are some great books dealing with the mental/phsychological aspect of our game, but there is one that, while not well known, is required reading for my "higher than intermediate" students.

With Winning in Mind by Lanny Bassham

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy and have in my billiards library, books like "The Inner Game of Tennis" and "Pleasures of Small Motion", but this book goes beyond those. It actually lays out, IN DETAIL, a regimented program used by higher order athletes to build and reinforce the mental side of their game.

The book is cheap... cheaper than having a tip replaced, or buying a new billiard glove... but it's worth it's weight in gold, IMHO. Cost through Amazon is less than $14... spend that and $2 for a good notebook and you're set.

Ask any athlete or gamesman how much of their game is mental and almost all will say 80% or more... then ask them why they only spend 2% of their time strengthening their Metal Game.
Just ordered this book, thank you

mjdoutdoors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get the book on tape from your local library and listen to it in your car. The main thing I got from it was focus on the "perfect process" and the results will take care of its self. I love the story of the pro golf player winning and did not know it because he was so focused on his process.

tomatoshooter

pro golf player winning and did not know it because he was so focused on his process
I've had those games. I'm just thinking "roll ball, get on next ball." I'm barely even thinking that, It's like I'm aiming and subconsciously making most of the decisions to get me on the next ball. Then I realize I just rolled in a black ball and my opponent doesn't seem very happy.